IMPORTANT: Firearms Export Alert – Use of Form 4457 for Temporary Firearms Export

Usually months after the prior one is expired, unfortunately. This creates a perfect opportunity for your African customs and gun permit people to shake you down for a bribe for expired forms.

All I can say is keep looking at the CBP website for an updated form until the last possible moment when you go to get your guns inspected by CBP.

It used to be even worse, the CBP offices wouldn't accept the downloaded PDF templates and made you use their pre-printed pads that were at times 5-7 years past the expiration date on the bottom.
Do you think riflepermits or a similar service could get SAPS / Customs to look the other way? I would much rather prefer to bring my own rifle but dont want to deal with the headache of getting turned away upon landing

Do you think riflepermits or a similar service could get SAPS / Customs to look the other way? I would much rather prefer to bring my own rifle but dont want to deal with the headache of getting turned away upon landing
By all means use Henry Rifle Permits to import your rifle(s)/weapon(s). It's easy and with them you don't have to worry they will have your pre-approved temporary import permit and waiting for your arrival to take you to SAPS, clear SAPS, and to your waiting driver or to your departure gate.

I've used Henry's services 3 for 3 times and will continue to use them.

By all means use Henry Rifle Permits to import your rifle(s)/weapon(s). It's easy and with them you don't have to worry they will have your pre-approved temporary import permit and waiting for your arrival to take you to SAPS, clear SAPS, and to your waiting driver or to your departure gate.

I've used Henry's services 3 for 3 times and will continue to use them.
Sounds awesome. I was more or less concerned about having issues with the "expired" 4475 while landing in and hunting in RSA this October. Seems like a rifle permit service might just be the solution. I am sure they have dealt with this before

Sounds awesome. I was more or less concerned about having issues with the "expired" 4475 while landing in and hunting in RSA this October. Seems like a rifle permit service might just be the solution. I am sure they have dealt with this before

Many times.

Just remember should you change your flight itinerary to let them know so they'll be waiting on you.

This happened in 2021, my latest trip.

A guy changed his itinerary to arrive earlier in Jo'burg, he either didn't use Henry Rifle Permits or/and he didn't notify Henry of his 3:30-4am new arrival time. He had to wait for Henry (and Anna, Henry's wife) to arrive to help with the temporary rifle import process with SAPS. (I think SAPS called Henry and asked them to help this guy to get his rifle permit)

I arrived in Jo'burg around 4:30am in transit to Zimbabwe. Because I was transferring through RSA to Zimbabwe I nor Henry and Anna thought I would need a import permit until I returned from Zimbabwe to hunt in RSA. SAPS thought differently. Any way when SAPS saw my Henry Rifle Permits form they became " a little more friendly", and pointed toward the other fellow saying Henry was already on his way.

The fellow that changed his flight itinerary was out of SAPS in about 15-20 minutes after Henry and Anna arrived.

About 40 minutes later after the vigorous discussion between Anna and the 2 SAPS officers, and some changes made on my SAPS 520, I left SAPS with a 28 day permit instead of the proper 14 day permit I was suppose to have. When I returned to RSA to hunt after my 14 days in Zimbabwe, I cleared SAPS in about 5-10 minutes on my own, long enough to unlock and lock my rifle case for SAPS to verify the serial numbers on my weapons. Because I held a current weapons import permit and that it was attached to Henry Rifle Permits form avoided any further questions.

Sounds like pre approved permits are the way to go.

For what little it cost compared to the whole safari I wouldn't even think of not getting a pre approved permit along with the meet and greet service especially if you are flying on to a different city.

I was told there is a customs office along interstate 81 south of Harrisburg PA that could sign the 4457. Does anyone know the town? Thanks

I believe the Harrisburg Airport is International. In that case you should be able to make an appointment with CBP there.

The 9/30/22 form is the most recent form. The Border Patrol Agent I spoke to said this is the form I need to return home on 10/1/22. I was also concerned, but she reassured me that the US could care less about the 9/30/22 date, that there is no expiration date on any Form 4457 so far as the US is concerned. And no one in South Africa ever looks at this form when you leave. All they check is the serial number on your gun. You are good to go!!
Obviously she has never been to SA…they do look at the date.

Obviously she has never been to SA…they do look at the date.
I have flown to Africa 15 times to hunt, and never has any official in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia or Cameroon ever ask to see Form 4457.

I have flown to Africa 15 times to hunt, and never has any official in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia or Cameroon ever ask to see Form 4457.
But they will look at it for your temporary import permit

Been to SA and Namibia 9 times….must present a 4457 to secure rifle permit, that is where the description, serial number and owners name is for the temporary permit. On occasion the airline has requested the 4457..Qatar in JNB prior to flight. Expiration date on 4457 is noted since SAPs assume that the 4457 is a license for the firearm and note the expiration date, and was also noted by the airlines. Police at road check stations can also request it, on one occasion I travelled to another location 4 hours from the lodge…was informed by the PH to bring the temporary permit along, on occasion it is requested, did not have it requested on my trip even tho we travelled thru 3 check stations.

Anyone in Houston area had a new 4457 done lately? All I am getting is run around all this past week.
No body wants to do there job seems like.
Sugarland not doing them, flat out NO!
Can’t get ahold of anyone at big airports and don’t want make the 2 plus hour drive and not be able to get done. Friend drove up there this past week and was turned away because of no appointment. Was told appointments required and you can’t get hold of anyone on phone.

I will start calling farther south on Monday see if can find an office that will answer and is doing them I guess.

Just frustrating that they won’t do there jobs.

Sorry for the vent. But figured guys in this area might want to know.
Mark, I'm surprised you had this much trouble. I've just shown up to the office during normal business hours. Signed in, taken the elevator up to the 9th floor, put my soft case on the counter, opened it and racked the bolt to the rear, completed the form and was back in the elevator headed down within 15min. The walk took me longer than the entire process. Done it this way, 3 times now.

Just a thought…make an appt with CBP for a signature on a completed 4457 for items you are traveling abroad with…do not mention it is a firearm…or where you are traveling…show up with the rifle, your passport and completed 4457. The 4457 can be completed by you on line with all your information except for thelir signature and stamp, date and facility number. A new form that is completed on line is available, but the expiration date is still Sept 30, 2022. I normally have four originals, but you can always make copies on a printer, in color, that looks exactly like the original. In central illinois it is so accommodating to get one done with a phone call appt., in Peoria, the CBP agent told me he was still using the older forms with no expiration date and has had no issues in his thirty years with the forms.

I had zero problems walking into a CBP office in my area that was not at the airport with a pre-filled out typed form (my hand writing is terrible) and my rifle. They did the SN check, gave the form a stamp and signature and I was out the door in 5 minutes. They did confirm it was the new form number/date before signing. I then sent it and the rest of my info to riflepermits and had no issues in SA in June of this year.

I kept a copy of the 4457 and the temp SA license in my day bag when we were hunting just in case but did not need it.

I did need the 4457 at CBP in ATL when I landed to collect my rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg