If you couldn't continue to Safari...

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by steve ahrenberg, May 13, 2018.

1. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    See my response to Ses!

2. sierraone

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Doesn't appear that you or Bob either one will ever run out of things to do! Or get bored!

3. mark-hunter

mark-hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
    Out of all things I do as a hobby, safari is the only thing not done in my home country. Africa is away. It costs.

So, I would be happy to experience as many safaris as possible, but I can not realistically hope it will be as long as I live, because in the future should be anticipated budget or health constraints and limits.

But, in case the health remains, I do hope to continue fishing, and at least to stalk a roe buck in early may... when the grass is green, and not too tall, and bucks are visible having less cover to hide

Then, periodically dusting off my trophies on the wall, reading good books, tell the stories and keep encouraging my children and grandchildren for their first (safari) hunt...

BobT, Hogpatrol and sierraone like this.

4. sierraone

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I will always hunt something until either the money or the body runs out! Will be moving back to Arkansas in October and will be about 6 miles instead of 500 from my favorite grand kids. And once that bond is established, (and mine is) they want Papaw to teach them everything he knows, about anything he knows! That can take a lot of effort on my part, but is so much fun!

BobT, sestoppelman, ActionBob and 2 others like this.

5. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    What a great question. I have noticed that a number of my colleagues do not have interests outside of their careers. No wonder it is so hard for them to retire! But, what if my hobby became impossible?:eek: I guess I wouldn't retire:)

I have bought a chunk of vacant land quite far north. I bought it to hunt and fish but building a getaway cabin has now become a hobby. And, I dont want to just pay someone to build it. It's not easy to get to so the planning is a time consuming process. I am planning to cut down my own trees for the wood for the cabin etc. I have found a fellow with a sawmill to cut my trees to planks. So, we shall see where this experience takes me:) For me the exploration of a new challenge, acquiring new knowledge, is the fun in life.

Last edited: May 14, 2018

6. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    I ll keep hunting as long as my body will allow and the money is there. I ve been fortunate for an average Joe to have hunted many species and many places. But I feel at 61 years old this year I still have species and places I want to hunt and see. So who knows....After that I am not sure to be honest. Sitting around is not my style.

7. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Good reading here. One reason I enjoy these forums, people not afraid to take chances and enjoy life to the fullest. For those waiting until retirement, DON'T!
    Aside from that, someone mentioned ultralight planes, aka lawn furniture with a motor and wings. My advice there is if you're a newbie to the game, DON'T. You'll kill yourself.

fourfive8 and johnnyblues like this.

8. bilmcc

bilmcc AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Ruffed Grouse Society, Wyoming Wildlife Foundation, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett
    Hunted:
    Zambia, New Zealand, Spain, US (PA, VA, TX, ME)
    Last October, I picked up Asbell's instinctive archery books, and after 55 years of slinging arrows all over the landscape, I can now make tiny groups. I was going to do a lot more gun hunting in Virginia, but bowhunting has an enchantment all its own. Already kayak and canoe fishing. My middle son is trying to set up some offshore fishing for us. There are many ways to enjoy the world!

Hogpatrol likes this.

9. Tim van Heerden

Tim van Heerden New Member

Video/Photo:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Flyfishing the mighty Orange River for Yellowfish, and stalking our great lakes for Barbel.
    Flyfishing for Yellowfish in the mighty Orange River and BIG Barbel in our lakes.

Attached Files:

Hogpatrol likes this.

10. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Tim, a LOT of water in the river now. Fished Vanderkloof a few weeks ago and the barbels were hitting bait pretty good. One of our guys caught one 15k. What part of the Orange were you fishing?

11. Tim van Heerden

Tim van Heerden New Member

Video/Photo:
    We fly below the Gariep and below VanderKloof. We mostly fly for Big barbel in The Nqweba and Lake Arthur. I used to bait fish, but catch more on fly. I'm not a peg fisherman, l like walk and stalk!
    Broke a 9wt rod on a 20kg Barber when it shook my lipgrip into a new design. Never got a photo!

Hogpatrol likes this.

12. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Going on 67, but in reasonable physical shape. Would love to hunt in Africa a couple of times more at least. Then something easy like roebucks, rabbits and red partridge.

Other than that I am a book addict and collect vintage pens. Short trips to visit nice/historical places and search for good food are also some of the things I enjoy.

Hogpatrol, sierraone and sestoppelman like this.

13. Buckdog

Buckdog AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Steve, the answer to your question is simple you go as hard as you can for as long as you can doing what ever your passion is. Personally I hunted the mountains and such creatures when I was younger, glad I made that decision when I was young. Now older I consider Africa a easy hunt compared to the shit I hunted in mountains all over. No way I could do some of that unpleasantness now.
    sadly I also agree with your future view that it will only take one more changing of the guard in D.C. and there will be no importing of lots of critters. Would be surprised to not see leopard uplisted at the conclusion of that USFWS mess this dec.

Hogpatrol likes this.

14. BWH

BWH AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    You are very fortunate.... keep seeing & experiencing the world. Time, money & land..... wish we had more of all 3. Stay healthy & active. Looks like you’re doing a great job.

Hogpatrol likes this.

15. dory

dory AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand . Namibia .
    When the time is right , i might spend more time doing this .
    As long as my arm muscles stay in shape . P6040436.JPG

16. Bob O

Bob O AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA (Utah, Arizona, Nevada) South Africa (Limpopo)
    Steve, I'm 57 too and just went on my first hunting safari in Africa last week. It was spectacular! I have hunted since I was a small boy in Nevada. I have a couple other hobbies though. For many years I lived in Arizona and mountain biked. I went over my handlebars in Usery Park, had shoulder surgery, and switched to street biking. I've done a couple rides that were fun. Most notably Lotoja, 210 miles in one day (Logan to Jackson), and the Ultimate Challenge, a century that is one-leg of the Tour of Utah. Maybe you have done those, I don't know. They were both pretty extreme climbs and endurance tests. I am also pretty passionate about Masters Swimming. Its fun working out with a team, perfecting a stroke, and going to swim meets like the Huntsman Games in St.George (maybe beating some younger swimmers and winning a few medals in the process). I've hunted most of my life in Utah and Arizona, and still love black bear hunting. There is a great spot in Arizona close to the reservation by Sombrero Peak that is always fun to hunt black bears. Take care, Bob

Hogpatrol likes this.

17. Fire652

Fire652 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    P&y, nwtf
    I’m young, 36, but have had a few serious injuries that jeopardized my hunting and recreational activities. Forced me to even quit my dream job. During those times I really learned to love reading and prefer any book that is a good read. Now that I am past that I had taken up hunting again and just went on my first safari. My thought on this is if I can’t safari then I’ll hunt around home. If I can’t hunt large game then I’ll hunt small game. If that can’t happen then I’ll shoot groundhogs. I don’t ever foresee me not hunting especially after having to give it up for a few years.
    Golf is also high on my priorities of leisure activity. But as Mark Twain said golf is a good walk spoiled

18. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    When that day comes, I most likely will not know it, as I will be in my diaper, being rolled around in my wheel chair, heavily medicated.

However, if that day comes by government regulation before I hit the nursing home, there's a lot of wine left to drink.

19. Michael V

Michael V New Member

Of course I have never been to Africa, or hunting at all for that matter. Seems I'm the youngest person here.
    However, I've been into firearms since last year, all kinds. I'd imagine that'd be an alright backup plan. Less so for CA residents such as myself.

20. steve ahrenberg

steve ahrenberg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hi Bob,

I bet we've run into one another at some point. I rode Usery a few times. Ride Black Canyon Trail a bunch, McDowell Mountain park, did all the races there including dawn to dusk. Pima and Dynamite trails, lived near those for a while.

I ride both road and MTN. My real passion on bikes is ultra distance adventure racing. I raced the Tour Divide in 2014 (from Banff, Alberta to Mexico all on dirt) went out with a bad Achilles tendon issue in Seely Lake Montana.

As far as the hunting here, I think our G&FD does a remarkable job with limited resources. Our Elk herd would be hard to top, Antelope are world class. The Kaibab plateau and strip Mule Deer herd is world class as well. just trying to get drawn....hmmmm.

Steve

Bob O likes this.