If you couldn't continue to Safari...

steve ahrenberg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I've been a very fortunate man. I had the good fortune to hunt (almost) most everything in Africa that I have/had the desire to hunt. I was also fortunate enough to do it as a relatively young man, I'm now 57 .

It is intuitively obvious to me, we are seeing the sunset years of hunting in Africa and likely international hunting in total. There will always be something to go and hunt but by and large, the iconic species are being attacked to make sport hunting unavailable at an alarming rate. Heck ,there are even bills in the US House, to stop the importation of "special" by someones definition, sport hunted trophies.

To my point, When the time comes, what do you do to fill void? Me, personally, I have always had a multitude of hobbies to keep my hand busy. I fish in South America an awful lot, I ride and race bicycles, which takes an unbelievable amount of time and devotion to be any good at it. I also dig old muscle cars. I'm right in the middle of a 66 Chevelle, rest-mod, pro-tour/street.
IMG_0691.JPG

This is a Piraiba from the Guyana Shield waters in remote northern Brazil.

Whats your go to passion aside from hunting and or shooting.

Steve

I have 14 years on you and will say at some point, you will run out of gas and not do much more than low impact activities and an afternoon nap. :LOL:

I booked a trip to same place you have been going in Brazil for over Thanksgiving......"multi species lodge". First timer.

4 hunting trips with 3 to Africa in 4 years, time for a change.

Like to converse about tackle, I here through the grapevine you're the man......

Your pics are terrific; you should post a few more here too.

I booked a trip to same place you have been going in Brazil for over Thanksgiving......"multi species lodge". First timer.

4 hunting trips with 3 to Africa in 4 years, time for a change.

Like to converse about tackle, I here through the grapevine you're the man......

Your pics are terrific; you should post a few more here too.

Really???

I'll see you at the floatplane. I'm going in on the 30th-Dec 7th.

I have developed some specialty tackle that just wasn't available. Send me a PM and I'll get you hooked up.

Just a small bit of info can make a great fishing trip into something you frankly won't believe.

IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1451.jpg

Well I have you by eight years. I have gone to Africa twice but would still like to get that Cape Buffalo Buford I get to old.
I am trying to stay active. At 60 I was still benching 275 and this year my goal was to get 255 but got that early so might try to get 265 at 65:) I ride a bike one hour a day in the gym 4-5 days a week.
I did New Zealand last April and got this to celebrate my 65th B day six months early.
81A50A5B-1B2C-481A-8A79-2E4F0779C99F.jpeg
Would love to do a 69-70 auto restoration but the last engine I took apart was in high school.
Think about NZ enjoy the next ten years you are not over the hill yet.
Give me some ideas also. I only fly fish!

We are going to miss each other I'm 16th-23rd. (thanksgiving on 22nd)

I have been looking at their trips from when they layed the keel for that Blackwater Explorer boat, and talking to Paul at a small show outside NY City for years where they have had a booth. Was going to go last year but he had a conflict and didn't do that show, so I went Elephant and Buff hunting in Zimbabwe. LOL

Anyway gave me a nice price to take a over the holiday spot he wanted to fill; and I'm all set.

How about teaching the next 2 generations to love wildlife by hunting and fishing? Seems the best use of knowledge and experience. Just do what you can.

Well I have you by eight years. I have gone to Africa twice but would still like to get that Cape Buffalo Buford I get to old.
I am trying to stay active. At 60 I was still benching 275 and this year my goal was to get 255 but got that early so might try to get 265 at 65:) I ride a bike one hour a day in the gym 4-5 days a week.
I did New Zealand last April and got this to celebrate my 65th B day six months early.
View attachment 228654 Would love to do a 69-70 auto restoration but the last engine I took apart was in high school.
Think about NZ enjoy the next ten years you are not over the hill yet.
Give me some ideas also. I only fly fish!

I completely appreciate the passion and dedication fly fisherman show. I simply do not possess the patience and frankly am not smart enough. I can't handle all the weights of rods, types of lines, not mentioning the art of the cast. Hell, it looks like flying an aircraft to me. :)

Bikes are extremely important to me. They have proven to be a good friend, loyal, they give you back 100% of what you put into the relationship. I did some pretty big events over the course of my career. The longest was the "Tour Divide". It's a solo, unsupported Mountain bike race the begins in Banff, Alberta and commences at the Mexico border at Antelope Wells, New Mexico.

What I get out of the South American fishing isn't that indifferent than hunting. Heck, when I'm on a big Piraiba or Redtail, I get the same adrenaline hit that I get when coming in on a buffalo...you now that last couple minutes when the PH puts the sticks up, the trackers are all excited and pointing, your heart is hammering, you pray you don't blow this. But the fishing, you must possess some skills, or it will show in your fish totals.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are going to miss each other I'm 16th-23rd. (thanksgiving on 22nd)

I have been looking at their trips from when they layed the keel for that Blackwater Explorer boat, and talking to Paul at a small show outside NY City for years where they have had a booth. Was going to go last year but he had a conflict and didn't do that show, so I went Elephant and Buff hunting in Zimbabwe. LOL

Anyway gave me a nice price to take a over the holiday spot he wanted to fill; and I'm all set.

Paul is a hoot. I just helped him do the Scottsdale ISE show. The Blackwater trip is fun as well. But, all you catch is Peacocks, all day, every day. The trip you're doing you'll catch 10-15 different species. The lodge on the variety trip is embarrassingly comfortable. A/C, toilets and showers all in your private room. Over 100 air miles from any civilization. Authentic...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I will probably deep sea fish...maybe start boxing again. I think there will always be something to hunt just have to evolve my hunting style.

Steve, Have you done any saltwater fishing at a Panama lodge? I'm looking to book a trip late this year or next for some billfish and tuna in the Gulf of Chiriqui. I've done Gatun Lake and the Chagres when I lived there but nothing offshore.
Would love to hear any recommendations. TIA, Hog

Steve, Have you done any saltwater fishing at a Panama lodge? I'm looking to book a trip late this year or next for some billfish and tuna in the Gulf of Chiriqui. I've done Gatun Lake and the Chagres when I lived there but nothing offshore.
Would love to hear any recommendations. TIA, Hog

Negative. I would love to hit Tropic Star. I have been to Costa Rica a few times.Where I went was over rated, the long liners had hurt the offshore and the inshore was just as good in Mexico at Las Barillas.

I actually started fishing in South America due to the cartel activity in Mexico.

Negative. I would love to hit Tropic Star. I have been to Costa Rica a few times.Where I went was over rated, the long liners had hurt the offshore and the inshore was just as good in Mexico at Las Barillas.

I actually started fishing in South America due to the cartel activity in Mexico.
Ok, thanks. I checked out this website. https://www.sportfishingmag.com/fishing-guide-panama
Tropic Star is the premier lodge but the prime months, January and February, are reserved for six day fishing trips only.
Looks like March and a four day would work though.

I'm already adjusting my approach to hunting. In the past I wanted or required the ability to 'bring the trophy home'. I would like to hunt elephant yet in my life. By the time I can save up to do it - I may not be able to bring the trophy home. But, I'm not going to let that stop me - I will probably invest in video instead.

I've done saltwater fishing for 35 years and my wife and I will continue to do that.

Interesting topic.

I hunt, I fish (marlin, sailfish, and tuna are the ultimate oceanic big game), I read great literature, I love art (I wish that I could have known Ella Mewhinney and Allan Egnell), I love French Empire and American Federal antiques, and I hunt old books with the passion I hunt cape buffalo (I have editions signed by Hemingway, Roosevelt, Ruark, Jack O'Connor and a host of more current autors). If all else fails, I will hunt deer along the San Gabriel until it is time to go home.

My main passion is and always was guns and shooting. Hunting was something I did for many years, but since I started going to Africa in 1985, little else interests me hunt wise, though I did make a few trips for prairie goat some years ago. Have 8 safaris under my belt, don't know if there will be another, we'll see. Like some others I have a few years on you, be 65 in August. Love to handload, do my weekly range trip, converse, convey and otherwise hobnob with my fellow enthusiasts, and wait for some grandkids!:rolleyes::D

I
Pau

Paul is a hoot. I just helped him do the Scottsdale ISE show. The Blackwater trip is fun as well. But, all you catch is Peacocks, all day, every day. The trip you're doing you'll catch 10-15 different species. The lodge on the variety trip is embarrassingly comfortable. A/C, toilets and showers all in your private room. Over 100 air miles from any civilization. Authentic...
I've got to take my lady on this trip. She liked fishing but really loved catching her first Musky. This would blow her mind;)

I think there is time for a few more Africa trips. Bongo , perhaps LDE , Uganda, Zam and perhaps Zim again. Maybe even Moz once or twice more.

Can't see New Zealand becoming off limits any time soon. Parts of Europe even, are they really going to close off the various goats And sheep?

And can't see Alaska being closed. Canada for moose, Greenland... And I have a fair amount of hunting to do right here at home.

And I could use more time to spend on my guns and home range.

Then desperately needing some grandkids to get started fishing and hunting.

I also love about anything with an engine. Could just as easily get into muscle cars as tractor pulls. Then there are ATVs , snowmobiles , motorcycles, boats, even thinking of an ultralight plane.

Also got an RV last year. Spent a few weeks in it this past winter. Need to go see the rest of the US in that and revisit a few places I've been to already, but take more time without airline schedules.

I also have the wonderful privilege/curse of loving my work/business.

Nope, don't see finding things to do as much of a problem;)

My main passion is and always was guns and shooting. Hunting was something I did for many years, but since I started going to Africa in 1985, little else interests me hunt wise, though I did make a few trips for prairie goat some years ago. Have 8 safaris under my belt, don't know if there will be another, we'll see. Like some others I have a few years on you, be 65 in August. Love to handload, do my weekly range trip, converse, convey and otherwise hobnob with my fellow enthusiasts, and wait for some grandkids!:rolleyes::D
Ses, when you get a couple of grandkids, it will almost be like you discovered safaris for a second time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,