If this is lion hunting…. You can have it

I don’t believe anyone here agrees with the idiot on the video.

The biggest issue here for me is video and footage which seemed to be the main objective.....and then broadcasting this shit all over the world.....sensationalising the whole lot.....
Same as an elephant hunt I saw footage of....so many shots fired.....bad ones....noises and what not continuesly until the elephant eventually succumed to brass poisoning ......no editing.....
Yes shit happens and things do not always go to plan but do they really need to broadcast all of it just for the sensation side of it?
This guy is not a hunter just an old sensation seeking small dick syndrome individual......
Well said and you convey the spirit of my OP beautifully and Hunter Habib you as well.

I don’t believe anyone here agrees with the idiot on the video.
@PARA45 100% agree with your comment, only problem is…. These videos wouldn’t keep popping up if someone out there wasn’t cheering these people on.

Per MY OP - “To each his own, but if that is lion hunting; YOU can have it!”

YOU = being defined as those who cheer on these people.

Let’s be very clear, I do not cheer or support individuals like the one on this video. I support CBL hunting and any other type of hunting, as long as it is legal. I don’t point fingers or criticize those who hunt legally and ethically, like some here do.

I do think there is some conservation value with CBL hunts. Same as there is for white rhino. I respect people's opinions on it both ways because it becomes personal ethics and that gets heated fast.

However, there is not any conservation value to posting a video where a hunt goes wrong.

CBL gave the anti's a shiney target to focus on, as the practice becomes less and less we can expect their funding and efforts to focus on other issues...leopard and hippo immediately come to mind. Seems to me CBL isn't necessarily ammo but more of a distraction.

Seems to me CBL isn't necessarily ammo but more of a distraction.
I can fully agree with this part. What bothers me about this ongoing debate is everyone pro-CBL appears to ignore the guidance given by all major hunting organizations. Here is their joint statement again. Note some of the terminology used.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.30.14 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.30.14 AM Large.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.30.16 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.30.16 AM Large.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.30.19 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.30.19 AM Large.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 34
there are rules here where if you wound an animal with a bow, you cannot “finish” it with the handgun you might carry for bear protection.

I think if that rule were applied for DG there would be a lot fewer folks going after dangerous game with a bow.

does not being able to shoot yourself out of what you shot yourself into border on a “stunt?” It might. I would extend this to personal capability - meaning if your skill with a rifle is to pot one in the ass so your PH can finish up, it’s no better.

For the record, this lion should not be considered a bow/crossbow killed lion anymore than had he thrown a rock at it it would have been considered a rock-killed lion.

but in general I think we are more on the same side than not. Merely working the dialectic.

If you want it in the "BOOK"...then I have been led to believe no animal that is bow hunted can be finished with a firearm....one reason after our one bow hunt if anyone wants to try using a bow here they will be told that we will use a firearm exactly when we want to...not when the client wants....as never had anymore bow hunts....not been a problem....and if it would be to future potential clients...sorry but go somewhere else....I know one ph here who will never do a bow hunt on the bigger stuff again...as his client refused to allow him to finish off the animal... and not really sure why this thread is still breathing.......

I would highly suspect that is a CBL shoot as well. Too good of a mane. Nearly all wild lion hunts will be from a blind over bait to properly age the animal, the follow up shot would be offhand.
Guaranteed.

All around poor display

Chasing buffalo with helicopters.
Wounding CBL lions with arrows is almost common it seems.

videos like this cant be good for Hunting or SA
Could not agree more, I don’t want to be associated with these guys, or Discount African hunts, thank you very much.
My best,
Jaco

I would highly suspect that is a CBL shoot as well. Too good of a mane. Nearly all wild lion hunts will be from a blind over bait to properly age the animal, the follow up shot would be offhand.
even that is not sporty enough for many.

BUT the car is parked at least 500m away before sunrise and you feel your way along the dark path to the blind.
Always on the lookout for elephants, buffalo or a puff adder on the way.
That alone will make you sweat with fear.
And there is no stupid "hour-long" chatter about how far away the lion really is and whether the curlers have really been removed.
And he is wild, along with his aggressive female companions who often accompany him.

A completely different hunt.but it must also be said that it costs x times what South Africa shamefully offers and i would keep my mouth shut.

Let’s be very clear, I do not cheer or support individuals like the one on this video. I support CBL hunting and any other type of hunting, as long as it is legal. I don’t point fingers or criticize those who hunt legally and ethically, like some here do.
I completely agree with you. Not many of us will be able to afford a true wild Africa Lion Hunt. For myself, I never want to be a hypocrit...I hate this worst of all. I am going on a CBL Lion hunt this year on over 50,000 acres. No "i do not get to pick out the lion in advance" Yes he is released over 3 months in advance and yes, I am hunting on a tracking hunt. If people want to critisize me for this I am okay with that. It does not bother me. I wish I could afford a $50,000+ hunt for a lion but I will challenge what percentage of AH.com can afford to do this? We should not be tearing down each other about this. Just my two cents. Yes, I will be posting my pictures on AH.com. I am using my 375 H&H.

I completely agree with you. Not many of us will be able to afford a true wild Africa Lion Hunt. For myself, I never want to be a hypocrit...I hate this worst of all. I am going on a CBL Lion hunt this year on over 50,000 acres. No "i do not get to pick out the lion in advance" Yes he is released over 3 months in advance and yes, I am hunting on a tracking hunt. If people want to critisize me for this I am okay with that. It does not bother me. I wish I could afford a $50,000+ hunt for a lion but I will challenge what percentage of AH.com can afford to do this? We should not be tearing down each other about this. Just my two cents. Yes, I will be posting my pictures on AH.com. I am using my 375 H&H.

I think it would be good for all of us to better understand a proper CBL hunt. I think many have the perception that it is an animal released in a relatively small enclosure a few days before the shot. What you describe is a very different scenario.

Could not agree more, I don’t want to be associated with these guys, or Discount African hunts, thank you very much.
My best,
Jaco

Could not agree more!

I can fully agree with this part. What bothers me about this ongoing debate is everyone pro-CBL appears to ignore the guidance given by all major hunting organizations. Here is their joint statement again. Note some of the terminology used.
What bothers me is many of those same major hunting organisations have "estate" categories. My mind says that those that condemn and very recently disallow entry based on a hunting style for one species, but fully allow entry and endorse another species hunted the exact same way, that's hypocritical, at least in my mind. Or maybe its just about the PR. If any major hunting organisation was fully up front, honest, and above board then all species hunted should be entered based on the same criteria. CBL are somehow different than any other worldwide species hunted the exact same way. If all species were treated the same as CBL then the books would be lots thinner and their dollars far less.

Yes some major hunting organisations called CBL "canned", but not the 500"+ elk, 250" deer, and all others species raised in pens, transported to estate and released for "hunting. Those species are "different".

I cannot see you as a member of SCI, B&C with it being so hypocritical. Not sure of Rowland Wards entry types.

I am glad when I travel to hunt, I follow the local laws, rules and regulations, being from British Columbia my world would be lots smaller if I had to abide by my Provinces rules every where. Why can't we all just just follow the same entry rules for those major hunting organisations under entry/acceptance, its called LEGALITY. Using the different categories.

Sure would stop infighting, name calling and hunters helping the antis.

MB

What bothers me is many of those same major hunting organisations have "estate" categories. My mind says that those that condemn and very recently disallow entry based on a hunting style for one species, but fully allow entry and endorse another species hunted the exact same way, that's hypocritical, at least in my mind. Or maybe its just about the PR. If any major hunting organisation was fully up front, honest, and above board then all species hunted should be entered based on the same criteria. CBL are somehow different than any other worldwide species hunted the exact same way. If all species were treated the same as CBL then the books would be lots thinner and their dollars far less.

Yes some major hunting organisations called CBL "canned", but not the 500"+ elk, 250" deer, and all others species raised in pens, transported to estate and released for "hunting. Those species are "different".

I cannot see you as a member of SCI, B&C with it being so hypocritical. Not sure of Rowland Wards entry types.

I am glad when I travel to hunt, I follow the local laws, rules and regulations, being from British Columbia my world would be lots smaller if I had to abide by my Provinces rules every where. Why can't we all just just follow the same entry rules for those major hunting organisations under entry/acceptance, its called LEGALITY. Using the different categories.

Sure would stop infighting, name calling and hunters helping the antis.

MB
No other practice is as damaging to the reputation of hunters as CBL. I feel it deserves to be treated differently. However, I will also say no one defends the deer practices you describe in North America as hunting as vehemently as those who defend CBL in South Africa as hunting. I can only assume calling it hunting validates the trophy in some way.

What really bothers me is the if it’s legal it’s ethical argument. A lot happens and has happened in the past in the absence of laws. The if it’s legal it’s ethical argument here simply translates to me as it’s affordable I’ll do what I want.

I can't wait to hear your story good sir. What you describe is the kind of thing I'd be seeking, though I am fearful that ship will have sailed long before I get a chance to get on.

Maybe in the spirit of today's society, I should start a Go Fund Me page to finance a true, free range old school lion hunt. :unsure: :p

I can't wait to hear your story good sir. What you describe is the kind of thing I'd be seeking, though I am fearful that ship will have sailed long before I get a chance to get on.

Maybe in the spirit of today's society, I should start a Go Fund Me page to finance a true, free range old school lion hunt. :unsure: :p
It would be hilarious to do a Go Fund Me for a safari and just conveniently leave out the hunting part!

In the interest of always having facts correct my hunt is on 25,000 acres not 50,000. Everything else is correct. My apologies for the mistake in acres

@Rare Breed, that sounds like a much better idea, are you also sure on the 3 Months bud, a big lion will eat a lot of game in that time, couple of Sable or Roan & its off the scale ?

I looked hard at one of these hunts I could live with & managed Lions was the closest but still out of my financial league (yes it is small league) I was told on some off the big places there are lions out there that weren't found which proved too hard or took too much time to hunt, I said cool id hunt one of them, by myself with a tracker !

My buddy says no one will let me & for sure not with out payment up front lol.

Trouble is I don't really trust what I'm told by most of the guys or any one really !

We do see Lion tracks in strange places from time to time, once on our place & once in the MTs when hunting Klipspringer, not sure where from, wither escaped or wondering Wild Lions.

Last year one was seen on the side of the Highway & made the papers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois