ID this rifle?

WebleyGreene455

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hello everyone,

I've offered to help someone on another forum with ID'ing a rifle he wants to purchase and was hoping y'all can give us a hand. A bolt-action chambered in .257 Roberts, with a (presumably aftermarket) Winchester 70-style safety. Me and a couple other fellows think it might be a Husqvarna action of some kind. The trigger guard and Mauser-style action fit Husqvarnas, and they're the only make I can find with a similar bolt release, but it doesn't 100% match the Model 1640, so I'm not sure what model (if any) it is. Can y'all shed some light on this?

1602472655920.png

1602472684071.png

Thanks,
~~W.G.455

Possibly the action is made by Husqvarna?
That was my thinking. I think High Standard imported some Husqvarnas, either action-only or whole rifles, for a time but my Google-fu is not strong today so I'm not finding a whole lot on the subject.

Professor, if so, was it manufactured by High Standard or was it a rebranded import rifle?
@WebleyGreene455
It was originally a Hi Standard in .30-06 Springfield , which was later re-barreled to .257 Roberts . It uses a Husqvarna action and the rifle does not use a hinged floor plate . It uses a military release floor plate , quite similar to the Winchester Enfield Model 1917 action on which my .458 Winchester Magnum was built .

@WebleyGreene455
It was originally a Hi Standard in .30-06 Springfield , which was later re-barreled to .257 Roberts . It uses a Husqvarna action and the rifle does not use a hinged floor plate . It uses a military release floor plate , quite similar to the Winchester Enfield Model 1917 action on which my .458 Winchester Magnum was built .
Thanks very much, Professor. I'll relay that to the other fellow (I think he's already decided to buy it anyway, haha).

Out of curiosity, that is a floorplate-release button in the trigger guard, is it not? A more convenient method than the recessed button on a Mauser or Springfield, it looks like.

Thanks very much, Professor. I'll relay that to the other fellow (I think he's already decided to buy it anyway, haha).

Out of curiosity, that is a floorplate-release button in the trigger guard, is it not? A more convenient method than the recessed button on a Mauser or Springfield, it looks like.
@WebleyGreene455
That is correct . The original Hi Standard rifles used the military floor plate release system ( as found on the Springfield Model 1903 or the Enfield Model 1917 ) . Whoever re-barreled this rifle to .257 Roberts , is the one who installed the hinged magazine floor plate release and the release button . I am 80 % certain that this was the work of Mr. H Creighton , sometime in the 1960s to the 1970s .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg