I think my 416 broke my scope?

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Took my 416 to the range today to try out some different ammo, couldnt get it to group or zero at all. So went back to fed premium with swift a frames. Got it zeroed and decided i wanted to go about half an inch higher, made the adjustment up to clicks which shouldve been 1/2 inch. Shot my last two rounds with me and it was hitting 3 inches higher, so thinking that maybe it was me messing up i went and got some more ammo, 1 shot and it hit 3in high again. Figured what the hell and dropped it 2 clicks and it went down 3 inches back to dead center and it held zero for my last 3 shot group (going to brag, 3 shot group was at .393"). But my question is, did i break my scope? Should i contact leupold or just leave it be? Scope is a 2.5-8 and says 1/4" per click at 100yds. All shots at 100yds

First pic is 5 shot group at center then 2 high hits after adjustment. Second pic is first shot high then after 2 click adjustment back down for 3 shot group in center.

20210207_131637.jpg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1612747548140_6764353492155367273.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my rifles did that. The screw that holds the base to the ring was sheared in half.

One of my rifles did that. The screw that holds the base to the ring was sheared in half.
This is with the leupold qd rings and bases and everything is tight from what i can tell. I've tried pulling and twisting the scope a little to see if maybe something was loose. And ive shaken the whole rifle like a red headed stepchild and there's nothing moving anywhere that i can see or hear. And it's holding zero still ‍

Sometimes when you make an adjustment to a scope, even a good scope like yours, it doesn’t always move immediately. Many of us tap on our scopes after an adjustment to get the scope to settle. Maybe it’s an old wives tale but we do it.
I’ve had many occasions where a scope was slow to move to where it should be.(ie move 8 clicks and not much, move 8 more, then it’s too much) I’ve routinely left for the day and start again another day.

I have a mk4 doing that same thing. Sounds like a burr in the turret. Send it it to leupold.

Not much downside in sending back to Leupold, just the cost of shipping. i had similar problem while in Africa manually adjusted scope to center. Leupold confirmed internal problem free repair.

I have the 2.5-8x36 as well. It holds zero well but adjustments are an adventure. Mushy mushy mushy. It takes 20 rounds to move 1" by the time you shoot 3" high, then 3 inches left despite not moving the windage, then you move the windage to correct and it moves 2" in the wrong direction in addition to 2" lower. Eventually you get zeroed by making 4 left turns. They are nothing but overpriced junk now.

Sometimes when you make an adjustment to a scope, even a good scope like yours, it doesn’t always move immediately. Many of us tap on our scopes after an adjustment to get the scope to settle. Maybe it’s an old wives tale but we do it.
I’ve had many occasions where a scope was slow to move to where it should be.(ie move 8 clicks and not much, move 8 more, then it’s too much) I’ve routinely left for the day and start again another day.
I do this, and fire at least one more sighter before shooting for groups again.

If it's not working the way it should work, send it back to Leupold for repair.
You should be able to "shoot the square" with any quality scope.
If adjustments aren't holding or you have to "tap" it to make it work...it's not right.
It has a lifetime warranty for a reason...use it.

I'm guessing that you are shooting at 100 yards.

Did you try going up just one graduation on the dial instead of two and then seeing where it shot?

Sorry for the late reply, was doing dinner, i do tap my scope after every adjustment as well as shoot a group following that before adjusting again. I just found it odd that it was that consistent shot after shot. I havent tried doing 1 click up yet, I'll have to try that next time i go to the range. I'd send it to leupold but it's holding zero now and i have no plans to change ammo. If/when i get around to handloading some or changing brands I'll probably pop it off and send it in.

Before sending it to Leupold I would call their tech desk the phone number is on their web site and ask them what they might suggest.

A friend had a problem last fall with a new rifle and a Leupold scope that he couldn't get the shots down all of them were high and he had bottomed out the adjustment. It turned out that his mounts were reversed front on the back and the back on on the front. I believe that they were Weaver mounts and rings.

I’ve found this to be very common with Leupold, owning several. Nobody beats them when value/optic quality/and above all weight are considered. Jerky adjustment is one of the lightweight construction trade-offs. Research has led to no “light” way to manufacture a scope with precision, repeatable and robust adjustment mechanisms. Once they settle in they are still quite dependable.

With regards to the warranty, turn around has gotten slow. Qualified technicians are in short supply as is the case with most skilled labor today.

I’ve found this to be very common with Leupold, owning several. Nobody beats them when value/optic quality/and above all weight are considered. Jerky adjustment is one of the lightweight construction trade-offs. Research has led to no “light” way to manufacture a scope with precision, repeatable and robust adjustment mechanisms. Once they settle in they are still quite dependable.

With regards to the warranty, turn around has gotten slow. Qualified technicians are in short supply as is the case with most skilled labor today.
I had a buddy saying this was getting more and more common with their scopes and the adjustments. Mine is a bit older (2003 ish i think). If it holds its current zero then I'll just rock it til after moose seasom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg