I Finally Joined The 505 Club

Something is definitely wrong with that rifle! Bolt is on the wrong side!

Nice rifle hope you enjoy it!

Can't wait for the hunting report!

Something is definitely wrong with that rifle! Bolt is on the wrong side!

Nice rifle hope you enjoy it!

Can't wait for the hunting report!
Lol, it's on the side of perfection and I'll definitely have to use it sometime for a hunt.

Congrats on a beautiful rifle. Hard to find them in LH as well.

Great catch ! I absolutely LOVE the .505 Gibbs and sometimes dream of owning one built by Joe Smithson on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action. I prefer 600Gr bullets at a modest velocity of 2150 fps, for this caliber.

Norma used to offer factory loaded ammunition using 600Gr Woodleigh soft points and 600Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids. Velocity was 2100 fps. Unfortunately, Norma ceased production of this ammunition ever since the Woodleigh bullet factory burnt down.

North Fork bullets used to (until very recently) offer 600Gr flat point monolithic solids and 600Gr cup nosed monolithic solids (which are designed to rivet) as reloading components, but they no longer list them on their website.

I think the African bullet manufacturer, DZOMBO can still turn out 600Gr flat point monolithic solids and 600Gr expanding monolithic bullets on request. “Doctari” Dr. Kevin Robertson has enjoyed great success with the DZOMBO 600Gr flat point monolithic solids over the years in his vintage .505 Gibbs Dumoulin rifle (built in Belgium on a French Brevex Magnum Mauser style action).

A word of warning, however. CZ 550 rifles need to shown to a competent gunsmith before taking them out to the field. They need to be tuned up a little and sometimes have the feeding rails smoothed out in order to properly feed flat nosed ammunition (their default feed rails are more optimized for feeding round nosed ammunition).

Great catch ! I absolutely LOVE the .505 Gibbs and sometimes dream of owning one built by Joe Smithson on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action. I prefer 600Gr bullets at a modest velocity of 2150 fps, for this caliber.

Norma used to offer factory loaded ammunition using 600Gr Woodleigh soft points and 600Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids. Velocity was 2100 fps. Unfortunately, Norma ceased production of this ammunition ever since the Woodleigh bullet factory burnt down.

North Fork bullets used to (until very recently) offer 600Gr flat point monolithic solids and 600Gr cup nosed monolithic solids (which are designed to rivet) as reloading components, but they no longer list them on their website.

I think the African bullet manufacturer, DZOMBO can still turn out 600Gr flat point monolithic solids and 600Gr expanding monolithic bullets on request. “Doctari” Dr. Kevin Robertson has enjoyed great success with the DZOMBO 600Gr flat point monolithic solids over the years in his vintage .505 Gibbs Dumoulin rifle (built in Belgium on a French Brevex Magnum Mauser style action).

A word of warning, however. CZ 550 rifles need to shown to a competent gunsmith before taking them out to the field. They need to be tuned up a little and sometimes have the feeding rails smoothed out in order to properly feed flat nosed ammunition (their default feed rails are more optimized for feeding round nosed ammunition).
I'd love to use the monolithic solids sometime and that may just be achievable for me. I and one of my close friends, who's also the only other person who's up for shooting this beast, are machinists. We might be able to rig some bullets up in monolithic form. Maybe, anyways.

And I've heard that about the CZs. I'm fairly sure the barrels been glass bedded but as far as the feeding goes on it, I'm unsure. I'll have to find someone to look at it and see what they think. That itself will be a task, seeing as how there's about 3 gunsmiths in range for me and of course, they're booked solid for other people's guns but I'll see what I can do. Thanks HH

I'd love to use the monolithic solids sometime and that may just be achievable for me. I and one of my close friends, who's also the only other person who's up for shooting this beast, are machinists. We might be able to rig some bullets up in monolithic form. Maybe, anyways.

And I've heard that about the CZs. I'm fairly sure the barrels been glass bedded but as far as the feeding goes on it, I'm unsure. I'll have to find someone to look at it and see what they think. That itself will be a task, seeing as how there's about 3 gunsmiths in range for me and of course, they're booked solid for other people's guns but I'll see what I can do. Thanks HH
@Avus22
My CZ 550 , 505 GIBBS feeds round nose bullets with out a problem. Flat nose solids dont feed well two out of the 4 505's. Mine which I got from CZ directly had custom job done on it by Tripple River. It is not a beast like every body thinks
You will do fine with it. One of the 505 I got came with some brass solids. They are 568 gr"s. If you need a few i can send them to you. If you dont have brass I can make a few dummy rounds for you. Let me know.
Krish

Barnes Banded 570g solids as well as the 570g TSX's feed great and shoot great in my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. I think if you seat the monolithics a bit deeper they'll work for you Both the Barnes have grooves and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die as well which I am a big fan of for the heavier recoiling cartridges.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club
I'm a CEB fan and filed my sights to their 525gr Solid at 2300fps and the 485gr Raptor shot to the same POI. It was my go to gun last August for Tuskless Buff and a Bush Pig even at 11lbs empty after 12 days in the field it became a old and dear friend
Wanted to attach a photo but for some reason I'm having difficulties
Did you ever hear back from CEB about changing the crimp grooves(?) to stop the bullets from pushing back into the brass in recoil?

@Avus22
My CZ 550 , 505 GIBBS feeds round nose bullets with out a problem. Flat nose solids dont feed well two out of the 4 505's. Mine which I got from CZ directly had custom job done on it by Tripple River. It is not a beast like every body thinks
You will do fine with it. One of the 505 I got came with some brass solids. They are 568 gr"s. If you need a few i can send them to you. If you dont have brass I can make a few dummy rounds for you. Let me know.
Krish
Thank you Krish, I'll let you know if I need any and I greatly appreciate the offer. I'm hoping that it goes smoothly when testing it, like yours does, as I just got the regular round nose bullets. Plus, with only 10 rounds that I ordered and at that price, I doubt I'd really do a follow up shot that quickly just for those reasons.

Wise Choice! Congrats!
.505 Gibbs on Hippo..600 grains whistled through him like a missle!
IMG_902135975855538-1.jpg

Did you ever hear back from CEB about changing the crimp grooves(?) to stop the bullets from pushing back into the brass in recoil?
No, It is on my calendar to call Dan at the end of the month .... In the meantime I am having shoulders put into the magazine to help slow the battering effect on the cartridges in the mag box when under recoil which may solve the CEB problem temporary shoulders have been put in hoping to shoot the gun next week .... I have recieved a Lee Factory Sizing Die for the 505 which has made a noticeable difference when shooting Barnes, Woodleigh and Hornady Bullets...

It would be interesting to know if those 600grn norma loads actually did 2100....we got from my 404 with 23 inch barrel few days ago using norma 450 grn ammunition I think it was only 2040 fps

It would be interesting to know if those 600grn norma loads actually did 2100....we got from my 404 with 23 inch barrel few days ago using norma 450 grn ammunition I think it was only 2040 fps
Damn it, Spike. Now you got me curious!

Thanks AB, I had some Corbon 416 Rigby ammo 350gr DPX and it was my favorite of the Rigby loads. So I'd definitely be interested to try the lighter grains too but for now 600gr is what I'll have to try it out with.
Did you get the 500j.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadia68W7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.