AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA, Life Member DAV
Hunted
Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose
@BobNelson35Whelen

I wanted to let you know that I traded for a Savage 111 in .270 Win.
It just happened that it was in .270, but I’m going to be switching the barrels out, and put on an ER Shaw pre-chambered, 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist, stainless barrel. I’m gett the kit that has the barrel wrench, and the go and no go gauges.
I know of a guy here that does barrel threading, and just might do that and get a muzzle brake for it.
Here is the rifle that is going to be transformed within the next month or so!

Hawk

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

@BobNelson35Whelen

I wanted to let you know that I traded for a Savage 111 in .270 Win.
It just happened that it was in .270, but I’m going to be switching the barrels out, and put on an ER Shaw pre-chambered, 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist, stainless barrel. I’m gett the kit that has the barrel wrench, and the go and no go gauges.
I know of a guy here that does barrel threading, and just might do that and get a muzzle brake for it.
Here is the rifle that is going to be transformed within the next month or so!

Hawk

View attachment 413126
View attachment 413127
@hawkeyesatx
My gunsmith doesn't use gauges on the savages. He uses a factory cartridge that hase been dismantled.
Screw the barrel in then inser cartridge and tighten the barrel until it is a firm fit and tighten the locknut.
I do highly recommend making sure the recoil lug is perfectly flat or order a competition lug.
I use a radial port brake and it's very effective..
Is it the accutrigger?
Bob

@hawkeyesatx
My gunsmith doesn't use gauges on the savages. He uses a factory cartridge that hase been dismantled.
Screw the barrel in then inser cartridge and tighten the barrel until it is a firm fit and tighten the locknut.
I do highly recommend making sure the recoil lug is perfectly flat or order a competition lug.
I use a radial port brake and it's very effective..
Is it the accutrigger?
Bob

Outstanding!
Thank you for the advice, I do greatly appreciate it Bob.

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. It is an accu-trigger.
Not that it will need the accu-trigger, because the 35 Whelen is one of those cartridges that just seem to be inherently accurate.

Hawk

Outstanding!
Thank you for the advice, I do greatly appreciate it Bob.

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. It is an accu-trigger.
Not that it will need the accu-trigger, because the 35 Whelen is one of those cartridges that just seem to be inherently accurate.

Hawk
@ hawkeyesatx
The cartridge might be inherently accurate, but is the shooter in the same class.
Bob

@ hawkeyesatx
The cartridge might be inherently accurate, but is the shooter in the same class.
Bob

I realize what your question is, and I can say that I’m more than up to the task of being a decent marksman.
Now, from what I have seen in the past, that those who brag about how good of a marksman they are, usually fall quite short of their own assessment.
But, I believe that the cartridge and rifle combination are quite accurate.

Hawk

I realize what your question is, and I can say that I’m more than up to the task of being a decent marksman.
Now, from what I have seen in the past, that those who brag about how good of a marksman they are, usually fall quite short of their own assessment.
But, I believe that the cartridge and rifle combination are quite accurate.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
I think you are more than up to the task and will have a great time.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg