AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA, Life Member DAV
Hunted
Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose
@BobNelson35Whelen

I wanted to let you know that I traded for a Savage 111 in .270 Win.
It just happened that it was in .270, but I’m going to be switching the barrels out, and put on an ER Shaw pre-chambered, 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist, stainless barrel. I’m gett the kit that has the barrel wrench, and the go and no go gauges.
I know of a guy here that does barrel threading, and just might do that and get a muzzle brake for it.
Here is the rifle that is going to be transformed within the next month or so!

Hawk

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

@BobNelson35Whelen

I wanted to let you know that I traded for a Savage 111 in .270 Win.
It just happened that it was in .270, but I’m going to be switching the barrels out, and put on an ER Shaw pre-chambered, 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist, stainless barrel. I’m gett the kit that has the barrel wrench, and the go and no go gauges.
I know of a guy here that does barrel threading, and just might do that and get a muzzle brake for it.
Here is the rifle that is going to be transformed within the next month or so!

Hawk

View attachment 413126
View attachment 413127
@hawkeyesatx
My gunsmith doesn't use gauges on the savages. He uses a factory cartridge that hase been dismantled.
Screw the barrel in then inser cartridge and tighten the barrel until it is a firm fit and tighten the locknut.
I do highly recommend making sure the recoil lug is perfectly flat or order a competition lug.
I use a radial port brake and it's very effective..
Is it the accutrigger?
Bob

@hawkeyesatx
My gunsmith doesn't use gauges on the savages. He uses a factory cartridge that hase been dismantled.
Screw the barrel in then inser cartridge and tighten the barrel until it is a firm fit and tighten the locknut.
I do highly recommend making sure the recoil lug is perfectly flat or order a competition lug.
I use a radial port brake and it's very effective..
Is it the accutrigger?
Bob

Outstanding!
Thank you for the advice, I do greatly appreciate it Bob.

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. It is an accu-trigger.
Not that it will need the accu-trigger, because the 35 Whelen is one of those cartridges that just seem to be inherently accurate.

Hawk

Outstanding!
Thank you for the advice, I do greatly appreciate it Bob.

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. It is an accu-trigger.
Not that it will need the accu-trigger, because the 35 Whelen is one of those cartridges that just seem to be inherently accurate.

Hawk
@ hawkeyesatx
The cartridge might be inherently accurate, but is the shooter in the same class.
Bob

@ hawkeyesatx
The cartridge might be inherently accurate, but is the shooter in the same class.
Bob

I realize what your question is, and I can say that I’m more than up to the task of being a decent marksman.
Now, from what I have seen in the past, that those who brag about how good of a marksman they are, usually fall quite short of their own assessment.
But, I believe that the cartridge and rifle combination are quite accurate.

Hawk

I realize what your question is, and I can say that I’m more than up to the task of being a decent marksman.
Now, from what I have seen in the past, that those who brag about how good of a marksman they are, usually fall quite short of their own assessment.
But, I believe that the cartridge and rifle combination are quite accurate.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
I think you are more than up to the task and will have a great time.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you