Hunting SA or "Wild" Africa - Which is Better

My best friend and I were having this very discussion on the way back from deer hunting yesterday.

I'm not opposed to high fence hunting, just the sort of high fence hunting that's common in large swaths of Texas.

If I walk long miles and do a lot of sweating, and my guide has a reasonable idea of where the animals are (but can't just walk me straight to them) even if it's a fenced operation, I'm down with that.

50,000 fenced acres is still 78 square miles of territory.

If i'm driven out to a ground blind and know the animals will show up for feeding between 0800 and 0830, well, that's just not any damned fun at all, not to me.

I'm more proud of this ugly cull than just about any animal I've ever killed because of the effort I put into finally killing him.
View attachment 511702
If you want a good Texas hunting experience, try low fence hunting Axis deer near Sonora, TX. Spot & stalk with no feeders or anything like that. You'd more than likely make a shot off of sticks. Leases down there have gotten out of hand and any hunting ranch is going to charge $4k or more just to shoot a free range buck, but the does are still cheap. They taste way better than WT too

By far the best hunting experience I have had in Texas.

"Conflate" okay I had to look that one up. :) To blow together; bring together as if by convergent winds.

And that was me. The point I was making was some folks won't hunt a high fenced area no matter how large, but they'd hunt an island which is effectively "fenced" by water.

And yea, in Alaska we never talk about high fence hunting. Although I did consider high fencing my place and putting Bison on it, but that would stop the moose, coyotes, lynx, brown and black bear from using the land.

Which reminds me, when I first bought my place on the Kenai Peninsula I looked out a window and spotted a turkey...in Alaska. (How's that for thread drift!)

View attachment 511668
Did it become Christmas dinner later ?

When I was looking into my first buffalo hunt I asked myself this same question repeatedly, (I even started a lengthy topic on here about it). I asked many members opinions on various topics and concluded I wanted to hunt dangerous game in an open area. Yes, there will be people where I am going to hunt (Zim) but it is still a wild place. The only influence on the animal population are hunters, poachers and nature. This can be said for spots in SA as well, but not as many. Like mentioned before, I agree a wild area must include predators which go after plains game as well as dangerous game.
Ask a lot of questions when booking in the wild area. My trip to Zim. each morning be drove a 20 mile long road that bordered a national park. If you found tracks coming out of the park you drove farther to see if they circled back into the park. If they didn't circle back you went back and followed the tracks. If no tracks were found you went back to camp and sat for a few hours and then did the drive again. Back and forth on that same road hoping a bull walked out of the park. Not great hunting in my mind. Would rather have hunted in a large fenced area driving to tanks and picking up tracks and following. Checking new areas looking for tracks. That is just me.

That’s a pity.
It’s a good area with good numbers of game.
We saw tons of game. Lots of elephant which I totally enjoyed. Lots of buffalo to look at, one really wide bull that was still soft. One bull about 35 inches with very average hard boss. Lots of hippo which we weren't hunting, and lots of Crocs which my partner shot one about 12 feet. Tons of Zebra which none were left on quota. A few small bush buck. One decent size Kudu, probably 53 inches. We saw tons of game, hunted really hard, enjoyed the PH, and had a good time, just no quality animals. Perhaps just bad luck, but I certainly wouldn't go back there unless I wanted a Leopard. There are lots of Leopard there. I don't want anyone to get the idea I didn't have a good hunt, I did. I left there happy for the experience I had. In my three previous trips I had never seen elephants and I was up close to them every day. No big bulls but tons of elephants. Had them in camp at night along with hippo. All good. I'm not that picky about shooting animals. I don't have to see Roland and Ward class animals to pull the trigger. There was simply nothing there that even tempted me.

Ask a lot of questions when booking in the wild area. My trip to Zim. each morning be drove a 20 mile long road that bordered a national park. If you found tracks coming out of the park you drove farther to see if they circled back into the park. If they didn't circle back you went back and followed the tracks. If no tracks were found you went back to camp and sat for a few hours and then did the drive again. Back and forth on that same road hoping a bull walked out of the park. Not great hunting in my mind. Would rather have hunted in a large fenced area driving to tanks and picking up tracks and following. Checking new areas looking for tracks. That is just me.
I full agree, that isn't a super fun hunt and I wouldn't have been happy either. Thankfully where I am going has been hunted many times by quite a few members on here, all with positive hunting reports. This forum really held my hand when picking my destination and outfit.

I have already chimed in on this thread earlier , but I just can’t get over the comments relating to less than satisfactory hunts. Why don’t more people use this forum to ask who else hunted with the outfitter prior . Get references and PM the person for even more honesty. Then get on the phone!

You don't have to go to Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia or Zimbabwe to get wild buffalo. There are hunting areas adjacent to Kruger National Park in RSA that the animals can cross into the concessions from the park simply by crossing the Luluvu river. Bear in mind that they can cross back into the park just as easily so make your shot a killing shot. All the animals can cross the river at their discretion so in that aspect they are truly wild. But there is one fence, to the west of the river. Its intent is to keep the red, meaning the possibly and probably infected with tuberculosis or brucellosis cape buffalo away from the ranched buffalo in the balance of RSA. Mine had a quarantine period to service before it could be allowed out of the concession. Interestingly enough the meat lasted a day tops before it was consumed by the locals. The next fence to the east is called the Indian Ocean, to the east of Mozambique, to the best of my knowledge. There are some constraints imposed by KNP management as to the age the buffalo taken. That would have to be checked out by your outfitter.

Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia or Zimbabwe would have been on my list to go to but outside of my price point. Its all about your personal choices. Hunting in Makuya, adjacent to KNP was costlier than a ranch hunt would have been but once again, it's about what you want. I don't know personally who may be offering hunts in the adjacent KNP conservancies now.

Do your diligence. I know of a couple that went to RSA on a hunt that was too god to be true. They went assuming that everything was fine only to arrive in RSA with an outfitter with no animals, no tags and no plan. I don't know who the vendor was. Good luck on your adventure.

Caveat Emptor

I have already chimed in on this thread earlier , but I just can’t get over the comments relating to less than satisfactory hunts. Why don’t more people use this forum to ask who else hunted with the outfitter prior . Get references and PM the person for even more honesty. Then get on the phone!
I did all those, all had glowing reviews and spent hrs on phone with past hunters of company. I say loudly beware of raving reviews. Nobody has any negative anything about the outfits when they write their reports?? That now raises my concern as much as a negative report. There are statements on here posted after my report that I can prove are false, but without starting issues there are some buyer beware. My report was as honest as I could make, hopefully others get help from mine.

Don't get me wrong my last hunt (2021 report on here) was a good hunt, seen lots, shot lots and had fun, but it had issues that were talked about, clarified and confirmed before hunt yet happened during hunt. This stopped safari from being an amazing over the top hunt.

Maybe it was me, I am not your typical safari goer. Redneck, lunch under tree vs around camp, not a drinker, prefer to hear Africa more than loud camp mates, want to experience all Africa has to offer, tent over fancy place and hunt over inches of horn.

But lets be real, being on safari is still the best life experience.

MB

Your assuming I didn't check references, I did on every hunt. The only bad hunt I had was Zim. and that was because I didn't dig deep enough. My fault totally. The other hunts were solid hunts, just no solid trophies no matter how hard we hunted. That is all I'm saying. They were good Ph's, in areas with game, just no decent game of quality that we saw. Perhaps just bad luck, but if I really hunt hard and put in the time I want to have a better than average chance to see quality animals. In the areas I hunted that just didn't happen. I had tons of great references from people that had hunted with the guys from Mozambique and Zambia. All great and they were great guys. Really enjoyed being with them. Laughed, good food, just no trophy animals. In Mozambique the PH really wanted to get the buffalo hunt done quickly and the first hard boss bull I saw he said shoot! I should have said no but I didn't know better at the time. That wasn't the case in Zambia. PH never once tried to talk me into any animal and I really appreciated that. In fact the one hard bossed bull we saw he said, you won't be happy with this bull. Can't ask for more than that. I have hunted all over the world and honestly I've never had as much trouble getting onto a decent quality animal as I have buffalo in Africa and it shouldn't be that hard.

Last edited:
This subject always makes for good reading.
For me it boils down to what a person wants in a hunt experience and what methods are their preferred methods. Each has their preferences as do I.
I want wary game that will move out if the hunters don’t do it right. I don’t want to constantly run into people or livestock nor worry about a pass through hitting any of those because no one knew they were there.
So for me that means truly wilderness concessions or fenced ranches. At present a top shelf true wilderness trip isn’t in the cards but top notch fenced ground in South Africa ran by top notch people fills the bill. My last trip was for buffalo in South Africa and my wife was along. Once through the gate it was like civilization had been left behind. I wanted the buffalo hunt I had spent my whole adult life daydreaming of, a tracking hunt in thick cover. Over the next 4 days, spent on the buffalo, I got that in spades. We were on 10000 acres and a shot beyond 100 yards on any species would’ve been unusual. Did the fence bother me? Not one bit! Time after time the owner of the track we chose to follow blew out due to change of wind or another species spooking and we would stand there listening as it crashed through the brush and off out of hearing leaving us to try again or find another track.
I had figured I would make my next buffalo hunt somewhere like Zimbabwe but after Tsala Safaris in South Africa reproduced the hunt of my daydreams why would I go elsewhere? I have to be honest, if I had that same experience in the back of beyond I would be committed to that also. To each their own and I won’t dump on what others choose to legally do and if someone wants to dump on mine I don’t care. I understand what 10000 acres of thorn bush country translates into. Let’s face it, most people going on Safari couldn’t walk the boundary in a day’s time in 80+ degree heat. At least most I see in the airport couldn’t. That fenced property and the way the PH crafted the experience made our trip tremendous and a huge plus was my wife has badgered me ever since we got home to go back again which certainly makes planning easier and is proof my planning was dead on for us both. At present that is exactly what we’re doing, planning our return trip for this year with TSALA.

I just love this thread staying in South Africa and being local I have the luxury of being picky as well where I'm going to hunt and what I'm going to hunt.

I have also had a few bad hunts on some properties one of them was years ago two brothers owned farms next to each other with only a cattle fence between them. We hunted July with two month into our meat hutning season and the one brother didnt allow hunting so guess what?

The game just moved to the farm next door and would stand and look at you across the cattle fence knowing they were safe.
Same as the ZIM hunt you had checking roads for tracks crossing.

I try to do a lot of homework and ask a lot of questions before I book I'm going not only for the meat but for the experience if I wanted just meat I could book on a higveld farm and use a flat shooting calibre and shoot a few animals from the bakkie/truck.

I have done that and don't mind it purpose was getting meat for freezer but I also always ask will he allow me to stalk on these open areas with little or no cover. Using hills and rocks its kinda chess game to see how close you can get and bag an animal then and bloody good fun.

Southern Africa has some fantastic spots and areas to hunt in but as in any industry there are the good and the bad with South Africa the ease to become a PH is a downer and counts against it.
As a trophy and meat hunter and ex PH and Outfitter I always hunt and go to places and have a different view of the hunt and area than a normal local hunter.

Everyone wants to hunt free range wild Africa, with no fences and real "WILD" animals that roam the savanna where Lions roar at dusk and Hyenas call all night.........But that dream and wish is usually short lived when they safari quote is sent out.

I have received so, so many mails that ready as follow.

I see you offer Safari in Mozambique and Zambia. I have hunted South Africa in xxxx year. I want to come back to Africa.
I want to hunt in a wild area where no people are heard or seen, no fences surrounds the area and animals are self sustainable and free roaming. I am not interested in South Africa or Namibia.

I want Buffalo, Crocodile, Hippo and some plains game you can offer.

These kind of mails/wishes and requests are 90% of the time short lived.

Once I have spent hours working on the best deal and offer I can I never hear from them again. Even when I send a follow up email to ensure the quotation has been received I never get a reply, not eve a XXX You, no thank or I can't afford it.

For those who have to much to say about fences, South Africa and Namibia, be prepared to pay the price or just forget about it to start with.

Agree....way too much is placed on fenced vs unfenced....I have hunted very big fenced areas with self sustaining wild buffalo, elephant, lion etc. In SA as well as abroad....
Each can pick their own but do not be condemning of one vs the other....

I am an older hunter, but still quite able to get through the country. So I do not feel that I have time to try out many venues at 'affordable' prices. I wanted a wilderness hunt for buff and PG. I went to a large, productive wilderness block in western Tanzania and hunted with a top outfit for 21 days. It was everything I had hoped a safari would be. Plenty of game, tent camp, no people. Elephant, lions, leopards, tons of buffalo, PG, etc. Had a great time. Bagged 2 buff, eland, roan, etc. Cost a bunch of money, perhaps as much as I would have spent had I tried a number of less expensive hunts trying to find what I wanted. Given that you do your homework, I think you get what you pay for.

Next hunt will probably be in NE Mozambique.

Agree....way too much is placed on fenced vs unfenced....I have hunted very big fenced areas with self sustaining wild buffalo, elephant, lion etc. In SA as well as abroad....

Very well said.

I have hunted all over Africa and each area has its own beauty and mystique. Set a budget of what you can afford or are willing to pay and then find the best location that meets the desired animals to be hunted.

HH

Totally agree. I’ve done both and have enjoyed both. I prefer the wild areas but have nothing bad to say about the quality operators in RSA. Why one has to be good and the other bad is beyond me. They’re merely different and you should pursue your preference within the constraints of your wallet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!