Hunting over pointing dogs

I have a GSP and GWP. My GSP is a little over a year old my GWP is about 8 months. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do. I talked to the trainer about my GSP, he was sceptical about about what I said about his drive. After he got him and worked with him, he agreed that he was a special dog. He is a black and white and said he was not a fan of that coloring but he changed his mind.

I look forward to working him this year.

Fire ants destroyed our bobwhite population, I haven’t heard one in years.
For ducks.. heck my ponds are small enough that a johnboat works just as well on the rare occasions they don’t land on dirt.

Now for squirrels, working on that. The current bitch has them halfway eaten before you can flip the safety off. She is a gem purpose farm dog, not a natural pointer. Anything bigger than her gets herded into a tight pack. Anything smaller than her gets consumed. Minus chickens, she shows no interest in them, to the point she will ignore them walking on her while she stares at a mouse hole waiting on one to suicide itself.

I’ve owned some good pointers through the decades-gsp’s, brittany’s And a couple great English setters. Have even taken white tailed ptarmigan here in the states with them. Currently have a pointing black lab but I don’t like her much! Young and dumb. . .

C35A5A70-F7F2-4996-8AA1-171C6E6A0239.jpeg
A0191436-F8FB-4BB5-83C6-FF4D6886102E.jpeg
3D11BB1B-2900-45D5-A47D-102EC3C6A2D7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a fan of the European versatile breeds. I currently hunt with a Pudelpointer, and training a Picardy spaniel. Grouse in the forest and on the prairie, partridge, pheasant, and more rarely ptarmigan, snipe, ducks, geese, and cranes in the marshes and fields. I wish we could use our dogs for leashed blood tracking big game big but it is not legal in Saskatchewan . I am working to change that law.
IMG_5192.JPG

IMG_0161.jpg

P1070051.JPG

fullsizeoutput_6a4.jpeg

L1340030.JPG

fullsizeoutput_12c4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1613.jpeg

As a dog lover and one who hunts with dogs this thread makes me all warm and fuzzy inside !

Thanks to Tokkie for starting this thread and to all who have posted pics of adventures outdoors with their "buds".

Here's my two down at the beach having fun.
IMG_1383.JPG

My old dog (I’m on another couch next to him)! :D
93D70ED5-F9F9-4C21-A965-4CF5F1E42539.jpeg

Ridgewalker, my two also have their own couch in the lounge room !

Brace yourself for the oncoming inevitable pain associated with the loss of a best mate.
I recently went through it and despite all of the trajedies, accidents, illnesses and human berievements I have suffered in my life nothing compares to the loss of one's dog.

Started our 15 month old GSP in her first water and tracking tests last week, decided to start her in all 3 classes although she is still a young dog and this would be her first official tests. She managed to score full marks in young dog, open class and Elite class for both water and tracking. This is the first time in Swedish history for our breeds that any dog has accomplished this. Started her mother in Elite class too and happy to say full scores there too, so 80 out of a possible 80 points for two dogs with the pup doing 60 of those.
IMG-20190710-WA0002.jpg

She’s no hunting dog , she’s my spoiled baby.

469472DA-D7DF-427E-A9C5-56B70CC7B2A1.jpeg

Had a great season last year. Hunted hard, lots of wild birds. This female GSP is unbelievable, she’s got it all. She swam a swollen creek and 4 inches of snow for one of those winter birds and did it right now. We were bowled over. Can’t wait for November.

3394359A-AC5D-4B70-9F4C-F30F8FBAAB33.jpeg
EC4DF026-E631-4FEF-90D4-A1508A113F80.jpeg

Me and my family, customers and close friends chase the quails and pheasants here in NTEX. And use Pointers and GSPs. From the 70s to mid 90s quail populations were fairly steady year in and out with few lame years. But last ten years we’ve seen heavier fluctuations. But we still keep our dogs and hunt regardless. We owe it to the hounds. Wives and girlfriends don’t understand for some reason? I don’t get it...
Had one of my best hunts around Muleshoe, TX back in the late 80's or very early 90's. I was stationed in Abilene and one of my desk sergeants with family in the area took me up there. Quail were pretty decent and pheasants were plentiful. My Golden and I had a blast.

I am currently dogless. I am retiring soon and will have the time to devote to dog training. I’ve had 2 drahthar but am still undecided on the next bird hunter. I will be hunting mostly valley quail and chucker but will be hunting from Montana to New Mexico for all the usual birds now that I will have the time.

Around three odd months ago I took this short bit of video of a young Sambar hind reacting to my old boy. As far as she is concerned he is another wild dog/dingo hybrid. I shot a black hybrid bitch just around the corner in that same place. a while ago.
He has seen so many deer over his life and is heading onto 13 years and has been a staunch mate. We have done the following many many times. he has found and alerted me to so many deer that at times I have wondered wtf! HOW!

Bearbait1, you have a grand time in your future! My old GSP and I have hunted from Montana to New Mexico and Texas. He is now 15 and hasn’t been able to hunt this year due to arthritis just too severe, but we still stroll around on our little acre. He mostly sleeps these days.
We have had some grand hunts together! Best of luck in your hunts!

This is Savannah, she was a great hunter. She flush and she was a natural pointer as well. Have some great memories. She is no longer with me, gone to a better place.

Savannah_I.JPG

I am currently dogless. I am retiring soon and will have the time to devote to dog training. I’ve had 2 drahthar but am still undecided on the next bird hunter. I will be hunting mostly valley quail and chucker but will be hunting from Montana to New Mexico for all the usual birds now that I will have the time.
I'm in the same boat. I retired in 2012 after 28 years in the military and will finish up 9 years as a high school teacher in June. I'll get a pointing breed to replace the wonderful Brittany we lost in March and plan a lot of road trips...Montana...Wisconsin...Colorado...Idaho... I can hardly wait. Might just see you out there somewhere.

Some suggestions for you traveling bird Hunters.
1) get a good first aid kit for your dog, or put your own together include superglue (great on torn ears from barbed wire fences)
2) before your trip do a veterinarian search for the areas you will be hunting
3) if your dog doesn’t sleep with you (I had a cabover camper and my dog slept inside with me on most trips) you need to keep them warm. Get a good fleece/nylon jacket. An insulated dog box cover or old blankets helps keep them warm if you leave them in a pickup over night.
4) plenty of water both in the field and when not
5) never feed them before the hunt, particularly big running breeds. You don’t want them to get a twisted stomach.
6) wear shooting gloves in case pup gets into sandburrs. A Leatherman on your belt will help as well.
7) get your dog snake training!
8) sooner or later your dog will get into a skunk, be prepared for it!
9) get OnXmaps $100/year a bargain to find properties to hunt! They didn’t have it when I traveled and upland hunted and it sure would have helped. I used state maps and state Atlas and Gazetter books.
You're going to have some grand experiences with your dog traveling and hunting the uplands! I’m envious you guys are going to do this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg