Hunting in the Caribbean?

@grand veneur any additional info on hunting Martinique or Guadalupe? I have not been able to find anything

Hunting takes place on the main islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe as well as on the smaller surrounding islands. Hunting is subject to the normal hunting laws of France. Only various species of birds are hunted.

So you would have to have a hunting license from France? And what would that entail?

So you would have to have a hunting license from France? And what would that entail?

In all cases, we are not in Africa, but It is not so difficult to have a foreign hunting license rewritten to a french hunting license for a hunting period in France. What it looks on the place when it comes to hunting, is a different question. The French hunting system is complex, there are national, municipal and private hunting opportunities. There are also local systems such as those in the former German-speaking areas of eastern France that correspond to the German hunting system. But that has nothing to do with hunting in the Caribbean or Guyana, although I don't know how they in general hunt there.

In all cases, we are not in Africa, but It is not so difficult to have a foreign hunting license rewritten to a french hunting license for a hunting period in France. What it looks on the place when it comes to hunting, is a different question. The French hunting system is complex, there are national, municipal and private hunting opportunities. There are also local systems such as those in the former German-speaking areas of eastern France that correspond to the German hunting system. But that has nothing to do with hunting in the Caribbean or Guyana, although I don't know how they in general hunt there.
Years ago, I took the German hunting course, sadly I never got my license, because it seemed every test day we ended up in the field. I did learn the hunting customs though. Thank you for the Information.

@grand veneur thank you very much sir! I'm not able to read the regulations due to it being in French but looking at the species available was very interesting. Out of curiosity do the Martinique regulations mention anything about non-French citizens?

Not the islands but you can hunt brocket deer in the Mexican Yucatan and brocket deer and whitetail deer in Belize. Cheers

@grand veneur thank you very much sir! I'm not able to read the regulations due to it being in French but looking at the species available was very interesting. Out of curiosity do the Martinique regulations mention anything about non-French citizens?

Since no-French no-resident people are allowed to hunt in France if they have a valid hunting license and an insurance, I think this is also possible in Martinique. But the problem is where and with whom, just also like in France. I don't think the local municipal hunting associations accept outsiders. It's not easy in France too. There are private hunting areas on the islands, but I don't know if they offer organized hunts.

Anyone interested in hunting should best contact the forestry administration ONF Martinique, Office National des Forêts. The ONF also organize hunts on national forest in France.

Last edited:
St Kitts has white tail deer. Seen one when there in February. Hunting them have no idea.

In the early 2000s i was on a Norwegian hunt show and a both there had an interesting pamphlet. It was about fishing and hunting on Cuba .
Fascinating and interesting it was and I enquired about it .

He said that it was mix of wing shooting feral hogs , deer species and the most interesting one of them all . Hunting for feral bulls

But the bulls that had gone feral were not ordinary ones , but of the Spanish Fighting bull kind . Cheap prices also since the Cubans had troubles with them and in the jungles there it was close covers .

Also visiting cigar factories , the Finca Viga , and his frequented places around Cuba was possible to add in the mix.

Cuba just later closed down for foreign sports hunters the wing shooting use of borrowed guns due to one know very well what it is .

And firm closed down of well known but unknown “ reasons”.

Could been something interesting that one .

Legality varies with location. Don’t discount spear fishing if you get a chance.

Tried it in Belize and it was a hoot. The guide got the barracuda and other fish. I was able to get a couple of the lobsters. Went to an island and cooked up a big lunch. FANTASTIC meal!

I haven’t gotten to do as much as I would like. We had a trip to the Virgin Islands this spring. Not legal in British Virgin Islands. Had an outing booked for the US side that was cancelled on account of large waves. Have a lot of miles traveling with a spear gun that hasn’t been wet yet.
View attachment 546841View attachment 546842
I do not know about any of the islands, but maybe on Ambergris Caye in Belize. I have seen locals there hunting white lipped peccary and white-winged doves there. They also actively hunt a large rodent that they call gibnut (paca). I have eaten these and they are delicious. On the mainland they hunt tropical whitetails, brocket deer and ocellated turkeys. The ocellated turkey is a fantastic looking bird. You would never confuse one for the turkeys we have in the North. I do not know if there are any outfitters operating in Belize or if Americans are allowed to hunt there at all. There are a few outfitters operating further North on the Yucatan in Mexico. Craig BoddingtonI has hunted there and written about it a couple of times.

I like spear fishing in Belize when I get a chance, but to be honest I can't really get excited enough about hunting with a shotgun in dense jungle to have pursued it much further.

Good luck on your search.

There was a Canadian outfitter doing bird hunts in Cuba. He has sold the business and I don’t know the new name. It could be the one mentioned in a previous post : Transworld

A bit of a slide to the thread, but you may notice that there isn't a lot of Caribbean hunting at this point.

Back in the olden days, PADI had a dive certification that was awesome! It was called "underwater hunter". Being lefty driven as a dive organization, they got rid of it in favor of the "look but don't touch" eco approach. That was shortsighted because spear phishing is great sport, whether for lobster or invasive lion fish they are BEGGING you to kill throughout the Caribbean.

If you like hunting, I suggest you call dive shops and ask if they have any lion fish hunting available. You may find that tickles your itch.
I've wondered about this before. PADI and various local governments have no problem with fishing from boats, but are opposed to spear fishing where you actually specifically target which fish you kill. Small fish and those not desired for food are safe. Narrow minded thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.