Hunting dogs

I reluctantly got out of bird dogs 20 years ago. They sat, underused and I eventually realized I just didn’t use them enough.

I now have a pet that thinks he’s a hunter. Typical terrier. He hunts any vermin he can find. He killed a ground hog a month ago. And last week treed one.

He has really kept them under control. I have 6 outbuildings. 3 being large structures and the groundhogs make a mess burrowing under them.
IMG_2322.jpeg
In this picture the groundhog is just above sumo at approximately 8’
IMG_1944.jpeg
after killing a groundhog. Yard Grizzly
IMG_1944.jpeg
IMG_6751.jpeg
IMG_0799.jpeg
IMG_5592.png

I have a Pudelpointer named Daisy. Going on three. She can point, retrieve, and track. Great old breed that is bred just for working and not for show.

She’s a good girl.
71415167646__CED28D84-E16A-4F2F-B1CD-D72E4B8E6E50.jpeg
IMG_0723.jpeg

The wirehaired terriers don't miss. We use them extensively.

Half wire half jack. He's 14 now. Hear's about 80% of what you want him to. Moves about half as fast as he used to. But he can still smell the fleas on a rabbits back hundreds of yards away on a 0 degree day. You can sneak out of the house while he sleeps but he'll wake up smelling the small change of air and run to the door.

He once chewed a 6" black tile pipe into 3 sections in around 20 minutes because there was a chipmunk inside. Considering his mouth doesn't open nearly that wide I can't figure out how he did it. He did blunt a couple teeth that day.

I grew up with a full blood wire. He had his eccentricities but could track the ground squirrel tunnel network from above ground.

20191116_173523.jpg

He retrieved his first real bird today. No he didn't flush it but he sure got birdy and started looking for another one. First bird with the new 28 ga as well.

I tried to put together one of those cool northwoods upland photos but keeping the bird away from the 10 month old dog was more important.

20231212_155748.jpg

20231212_155742.jpg

He really looks like his mom. His dad has a nice square head as well.

My girl Skade and I out scouting for duck season. She just turned three and is already a heck of a retriever, works off hand signals and hunts hard. She is the daughter of our other lab Trigger, who is also a good duck hunter but really excels on upland game.
Duck Season Coming.jpg

One of our hounds baying a wounded Kudu. A good blood dog doesn't just help you find wounded animals dead or alive, but saves so much valuable time on a hunt when things don't go to plan.

IMG_0629.jpeg

A couple of the hounds, houndsmen, and guide on our recent leopard hunt in the Kalahari Desert, Botswana. 9/6/23. Some things are just fun in life and hunting leopards with hounds is one of them. Happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider.

Holy smokes! That is a big kitty-I do love chasing with hounds, nothing quite compares to the soul of a hound dog.

IMG_20170613_073453.jpg

A Parson Russel.
Fearsome but very intelligent little bugger.

Hes like an swiss army knife.
I can let em track wounded animals or blood trails without a leash.
Apports about anything he can csrry or even drag. From pigeons to crows up to pheasents and even goose.

Driven game he stays close so you can send him into thickets i cant / wont crawl into.

Works save around boars to not get hurt but is fearless if you order to pack an animal so you can stick em.

Climbs 20ft high seat laders on its own if i signal its okay.
Spots animals when on high seat and only starts to shiver, no single noise.
Even when stalking in whey for boar. He slowly walks behind me in my tracks. Stands on his hind legs to take a peek.

Ski lifts, no problem,
Climbing rocks, got it
If too steep, hops on me shoulders and hangs tight.

Chukar hunting was pretty good this weekend. Wise birds have seen lots of pressure but we scratched down a couple. The Brittney pointing on the ridge top is Murphy. I started him then he went home with my nephew
IMG_8777.jpeg
IMG_8778.jpeg

The nephew took these pix-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBurns

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.