HUNTING Bushpig

I don't eat any of the pigs from our place. I know what we feed them......

Hi - older post but still valuable Intel as I & 2nd Hunter will be after Bush Pig w/ Marius/KMG. I was always told, ‘a little Hot Sauce fixes everything!’ Or in Africa that would be ‘Mrs. H.S. Balls Hot Chutney.’:A Stars:

IMG_20211108_200501.jpg

IMG_20211108_200331.jpg

Bushpig I took last week in Limpopo with Booysen Safaris. The biggest of six we saw that evening. Lots of great advice in this thread. I used my 375 H&H and one shot poleaxed him. They are impressively skittish and I did not feel over gunned. Seeing my crosshairs was very difficult and I would bring an illuminated scope next time.

Yes sir, we do. Not for the faint hearted.
That sounds like an absolutely phenomenal time! Any pics with the packs around a pig they caught? Love keeping up with all the 4 legged warriors you have at your place!

What a brute w/ a nice big pumpkin - Congrat’s!

Hi, just a question. Is the bushpig and warthog the one and same species? I am planning a trip to Limpopo to get my first warthog for meat (salami etc)

Hi, just a question. Is the bushpig and warthog the one and same species? I am planning a trip to Limpopo to get my first warthog for meat (salami etc)
No, while they are both in the same family, Suidae, they are two different species.

Bushpig- Potamochoerus larvatus

Warthog- Phaecochoerus africanus

Apart from being different species (and not looking much alike), they are also different in terms of hunting. Warthogs are usually hunted during daylight in the "normal" way - generally spot and stalk.

While not impossible, I've never heard of bushpig being hunted this way. If they have been hunted at all, they are almost entirely nocturnal, and are generally hunted over bait (though I did get one once by chance while night hunting for other animals).

I would go so far as to say that one is a relatively easy hunt - the warthog - while bushpig can be a difficult hunt (it took me two hunts to connect on the first).

Thanks for the valuable information. Do you perhaps know where is the best spot to hunt warthog? I live in Secunda

Para mí, este es el tiro. En España cazamos mucho el jabalí de noche mientras esperamos; Esta es la forma de derribarlo instantáneamente sin tener que buscarlo, con el riesgo de no encontrarlo o encontrarlo herido y atacarte. Tampoco hay riesgo de romper el trofeo.
MDGC0053.jpg
4-razones-que-explican-por-qué-puede-atacarte-un-jabalí.jpg

Sorry, the text came out in spanish
For me, this is the shot. In Spain we hunt wild boar a lot at night while waiting; This is the way to take him down instantly without having to look for him, with the risk of not finding him or finding him injured and attacking you. There is also no risk of breaking the trophy

I hunt wild hogs in South Carolina every year. The aiming point is right in the ear hole. Although we don’t shoot at night like Ngaka does it is often after sundown. I am not going to trail a wounded hog through a swamp after dark. They are either drt or gone. Going in February 2023.

My one and only bushpig was shot in broad daylight: we were stalking buffalo when we stumbled across the group, they bolted in all directions and a swinging shot from my Heym 450/400 caught one amidships. It went straight down. It was a young boar, soaked in milk then roasted was delicious.
815D813F-76A3-4651-82F0-1088B289D603.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross