HUNTING Bushpig

Bsto270

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Love this section of the website. Have been pouring over placement on Bushpig and some others. Was wondering if anyone had or could whip up a diagram on some of the species not on here (or could give some insight, as I still don't have a copy of The Perfect Shot) and or give some advice or experience on this? -

Thanks as always!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bsto270

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Wow, that went above and beyond. Thank you I didn't realize the heart hung as low and far forward as it does. Do they have the shoulder shield I hear so much written about on hogs in the US?

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
I would take a shoulder shot every time on a bushpig.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Wow, that went above and beyond. Thank you I didn't realize the heart hung as low and far forward as it does. Do they have the shoulder shield I hear so much written about on hogs in the US?

I did not notice any type of armour/shield on the Bushpig.
I think a shot into the triangle on the shoulder will do the job every last time. Bow or Rifle.

I brained mine because he was facing toward and uphill with too much company surrounding him. It was effective. :)

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Brandon I wish I could help you with this one but I have never put the crosshairs on one yet. :( I have seen them and heard them all around me but no shots. I would say shot them as any other pig though. I was going to an still will one day be taking a shot at one right in the shoulder.

I hope you get one when over on your trip.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I outlined the Elbow and the points of the shoulder.

This photo has the pig facing ever so slightly away and leaning a little forward. I might pull the shot slightly back of the red dot. But, still in the triangle.
High heart lung is always my preferred shot.

MDGC0053.jpg

Last edited:

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
Love this section of the website. Have been pouring over placement on Bushpig and some others. Was wondering if anyone had or could whip up a diagram on some of the species not on here (or could give some insight, as I still don't have a copy of The Perfect Shot) and or give some advice or experience on this? -

Thanks as always!

Shooting a bushpig looks easy when you are looking at a camera shot, and you have all the time in the world to plan where you'd have put a shot on that particular pig, at that particular time.

The reality of bushpigs is much different.

You will most likely be hunting them at night, likely from a blind near bait, or some existing food source. Once you are ready to shoot, you will likely get a very short time to take the shot - a few seconds at most - and you will have to make do with whatever shot you're presented with.

Like @BRICKBURN, I shot two in the head, just because that's the shot they gave me when the light went on. I was using a .375 H&H, and I don't think I was over-gunned, although I'm (almost) sure that a .300 would have had the same effect.

You might get lucky, but I would say this can be one of the tougher prizes to try for. And one of the tastier ones as well.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
The guy I hunted hog with in Florida prefers the base of the ear/brain shot if you have a solid comfortable rest. Otherwise, he said the shoulder shot as shown above was good.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted

Bsto270

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Brandon I wish I could help you with this one but I have never put the crosshairs on one yet. :( I have seen them and heard them all around me but no shots. I would say shot them as any other pig though. I was going to an still will one day be taking a shot at one right in the shoulder.

I am thinking Bill that the shoulder is gonna be the ticket, especially considering I want a nice toothy skull mount for the wall, hopefully sans bullet holes. However, if that's all I get, I take it, back up, and go for a shoulder mount!

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
I don't eat any of the pigs from our place. I know what we feed them......

yup the horrible stench from the bait convinced me I'd have to be starving before I ate one

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

Bill one of these trips Pieter will get you on one!

Sand Rat

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Texas, Mississippi, Kansas, Botswana, Eastern Cape
I don't eat any of the pigs from our place. I know what we feed them......
I can vouch for that statement! That's what Marius said when I asked "can we eat him?" Yes the stench from the gut pile he was munching on was horrible but I was still wanting to try a bite or two. I was lucky enough to shoot mine right between the shoulders from an elevated blind........he just pancaked, no tracking required.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
yup the horrible stench from the bait convinced me I'd have to be starving before I ate one
Funny. We just used corn . . . fermenting a bit maybe, but still just corn!

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
I can vouch for that statement! That's what Marius said when I asked "can we eat him?" Yes the stench from the gut pile he was munching on was horrible but I was still wanting to try a bite or two. I was lucky enough to shoot mine right between the shoulders from an elevated blind........he just pancaked, no tracking required.

Yup, and you shot 3 Bushpigs in a 10 day safari with me. Not many hunters pull that one off. ;)(y):D

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
@Sand Rat , Robert, we have a big boar on bait again at the moment. When we take him, it will be the 7th Boar this year on our bait.
This one is a smart one. He is a big boar like the one that you took with me. I watched him from the blind about a week ago, and seen his tricks.

Going to try and outsmart him in 3 weeks time with a hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chancebah

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.