Hunt booked for 2017...

Sounds about right to me. Marius may even tell you all softs for the buffalo.

Are you going to hunt hippo on land or water? I've seen some suggest softs for brain shots, although I used a solid.
We will be hunting the hippo on land. Marius suggested all solids for the hippo as we most likely be taking a body shot where we need deep penatration. Marius wanted both for the buffalo.

Good luck Johnny, jealous on that hippo !

You should definitely hunt it on land, that´s where the excitement is.

Let me give you a couple of suggestions for the hippo.

05abc1850d2c06a4a0a1140b55470f51_zpsq1vojzwn.jpg

animal-chair-collection-hippo-sofa-maximo-riera-3_zpszedvs9fo.jpg

Attachments

• 05abc1850d2c06a4a0a1140b55470f51_zpsq1vojzwn.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 92
  • animal-chair-collection-hippo-sofa-maximo-riera-3_zpszedvs9fo.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an awesome hunt. Those 2 on top of my list. If you add a spotted hyena than I'm over the moon.
Love to have a hippo skull table.

Lucky Bugger !!!
Still might get my leopard first .
Getting that tag is the problem alright .

Sounds great Johnny! Wish you the best brother!
Cheers,
Cody

Already ordered. He approved of my choices.

Yes we're hunting on land

Hey folks, well I didn't get the leopard tag...AGH.! But I had plan B in place. I ve been speaking to several AH professionals here and decided to hunt with Marius from KMG. I booked a buffalo and hippo hunt for August of this year up in the Limpopo area of SA. Should be an exciting hunt.
Can't wait for the hunt report as I am in the process of planning my 2018 Cape Buffalo safari. Good luck and keep us posted.

Holy crap. These are awesome! Could I do both? Does the skull get used in the head of a mount, or just foam?

Holy crap. These are awesome! Could I do both? Does the skull get used in the head of a mount, or just foam?

Just foam, you can do both :LOL:

Hey guys, what's your thoughts on this. I may include some plains game when I hunt buff/hippo later on this year. Taking my 270 wsm for black wildebeest, bushbuck, and possibly waterbuck. The gun shoots 140 accubonds sub zero. Should I go with a 150 grain soft point or nosler?

Oh am I jealous! Have a great trip and try to get lots of pics and a report so we can live it vicariously through your experience!
Thanks!

Will do!
Lucky Bugger !!!
Still might get my leopard first .
Getting that tag is the problem alright .
Your right Dory you just might get your tag before me...I ll try again in 2 years if we can still import.......But a buff/hippo hunt isn't a bad second choice;)

Hey guys, what's your thoughts on this. I may include some plains game when I hunt buff/hippo later on this year. Taking my 270 wsm for black wildebeest, bushbuck, and possibly waterbuck. The gun shoots 140 accubonds sub zero. Should I go with a 150 grain soft point or nosler?

On wildebeest and waterbuck I would go with Nosler (shot them with Swift AFrames myself) the softpoints will also do their job, but you need more accurate shot placement. If you hit bone they wont penetrate properly.

On wildebeest and waterbuck I would go with Nosler (shot them with Swift AFrames myself) the softpoints will also do their job, but you need more accurate shot placement. If you hit bone they wont penetrate properly.
Thanks..Spoke with Marius today he's quite comfortable with me using accubonds on blackwildbeest, bushbuck and springbuck. If by some chance I do hunt waterbuck I ll just use my 375 with A frames.

Anyone know if I'll need a cities permit to import back here for the hippo? Forgot to ask Marius and the folks at SSI are doing the convention circuit.

DSC03124.JPG
DSC03125.JPG
Since you asked about North Forks I used 300 gr SS and 300 gr CPS's on a recent safari to Zim. These are a few that where recovered. All weigh almost 100%. They are the hammer on everything I shot from Giraffe to Klipspringer and everything in between. The softs in the pic came from Cape Buffalo and Eland. The solids came from the Giraffe and Eland I believe.

Great bullets

Congrats on the impending safari

Fantastic, thank you. Let's see how and which bullets the gun likes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you