How to tip?

Elkeater

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Simple question I hope. What’s the best way to tip in RSA, U.S. dollar in cash or do I get rand before we go over?

Thanks

Both. Dollars for PH. Staff most likely will need the outfitter to exchange dollars to Rand for them. But all dollars will work, too.

If you take Rand try to get some in bigger than r100 bills. I ordered $1k from BoA and it showed up as ~170 r100 bills. 100 Rand = only about $5 or so right now.

Simple question I hope. What’s the best way to tip in RSA, U.S. dollar in cash or do I get rand before we go over?

Thanks
There is a thread on this forum that has literally 1000 posts on tipping. I suggest you find that thread and spend a day or so going over it before you go.

Here is the link to the Tipping Guide thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple questioin, simple answer. Ask PH/outfitter the normal protocol for their camp/operation. USD cash works universally at least until China takes over the world. Remember all the staff, many you may never see, are all integral to any safari operation.

For RSA, you can also get some Rand just for your convenience for buying snacks or stuff at local stores or from roadside vendors. Preplan for best exchange rates. I always try to get ahold of some local currency anyway- no matter the country. Many have unique graphics and are great mementos and conversation pieces for when you return.

Last edited:
On both of my safaris I took over enough rand to take care of everyone except for my PH, for him I took US $100 dollar bills. Some outfitters will accept your CC and then they will pay the staff.

In that long thread they said that for the help and trackers that quite often they have no way to exchange the dollars into rand, and while dollars work they may not get a favorable exchange rate when they spend them.

I just figure out how much Rand that I need to tip everyone and then head down to my bank a month or so before my trip, tell them what I want and a day or two later they call me to come pick it up for a small fee.

It is also nice to have some rand on hand if you decided to purchase something small in a store instead of using your CC and dealing with the exchange rate at the time.

One thing I was told, but my safari company's owner is to tip them personally, and face-to-face. Don't just leave it on the nightstand or next to the breakfast dishes.

It goes based on the outfit you are with. We just got back from RSA and the outfit we hunted with gave you an envelope to place your tip in with the name of person written on it. Everyone from the chef, to PH, to tracker all the way to the cleaning staff.

The best advice is to ask your host. USD dollars are almost always accepted for tipping of safari staff.

I have to agree, ask the owner/PH. They'll let you know what is fair, and if you feel like that is not enough for some of the staff, that's up to you. Most owners/PH's prefer you not to give the staff any money until the trip is done. I also took a dozen baseball style hats as gifts to the staff. I gave the trackers some knives, and the PH's different gifts as well. I let the owner give my tip money out.

I HAVE AND STILL WOULD TIP PH $$ AND STAFF RAND IN S.A. AND AS BEEN MENTIONED ALREADY A JILLION TIMES SMALL TRINKETS, CHEAP SKINNERS, BIC LIGHTERS, BASEBALLCAPS, ETC., ETC. FOR GUYS AND CHEAP LIPSTICKS, MIRRORS, ETC. FOR THE LADIES (IN ADDITION TO THE TIPS) ARE GREAT SMILE GETTERS. ANOTHER BIG THANK YOU FOR THE STAFF IS TO BRING AN INSTANT CAMERA TO TAKE PICTS OF THEM FOR THEM.
OH, DON'T FORGET THE KIDS, TOOTSY POPS AND OTHER GOOD OL USA CANDIES FOR THEM.

Thanks
Dollars without question in my experience

just tip with what you feel is right not what someone else says you should.my first trip the safari owner the night before we went home gave us a list of his suggested tipping, what a joke, (we 5 of us) would have paid all his people for the next 6 months at that.like the cook his wife 1250.00 and never got breakfast other than cereal or toast she stayed in bed every day. just do what you want and do not worry about it

just tip with what you feel is right not what someone else says you should.my first trip the safari owner the night before we went home gave us a list of his suggested tipping, what a joke, (we 5 of us) would have paid all his people for the next 6 months at that.like the cook his wife 1250.00 and never got breakfast other than cereal or toast she stayed in bed every day. just do what you want and do not worry about it

I agree you should tip based on service. For example, the skinners at the salt/skinning shed should be tipped per animal. 5 animals of mine went into the salt vs. 2 for another in my group. My tip to them was without a doubt bigger because they carried much more of the load for me. To your point, if someone really didn't do much for you, tip accordingly. I just happened to be one of the people who utilized every service of the outfit I was with which included cleaning staff, cook, skinners, etc.

I tipped above and beyond what was recommended for my PH and tracker. My PH was absolutely driven by me being successful as well as having a good hunt. Coming from the charter/guide side myself I could see he had that drive to want his clients to succeed at all cost. When they told me the "range" I went above and beyond + a box of Barnes TTSX 300WM that I knew they had a hell of a time getting there. The longest track my tracker had was 100 yds but he busted his butt to make sure we had our gear, was on the spot with the truck, whatever I needed he brought, etc. Tough call. There is a range I have in my head now for everything but you wouldn't really know until you've been to Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross