How to Measure the Drop @ Comb?

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
"One a DSB, or SSB Bolt" .. is this your Horizontal Line (The Bridge) where you then measure your Drop?

Thank you!

I just lay the firearm down on a flat surface. Matters not the type of firearm for the measurement. Lay a long straightedge along the bore line, more correctly the center of the sight line, so it extends over the comb. Measure from the sight line straight edge down to the comb. If the comb is angled then measure to the central point of contact between your cheek and comb when gun is mounted for shooting.

Usually open/iron sighted firearms and shotguns have a little more drop at comb so eye lines up naturally with sights when gun is mounted. Usually scope mounted guns have a little less drop at comb so eye lines up naturally with scope reticle when gun is mounted.

Last edited:
Don’t honestly know on magazine rifles, but this isn’t how I do it on double guns. Excluding the bead or front sight, the height from the top rib reconciled against the DAC and DAH. Typically this is 1-5/8 and 2-1/8” respectively for standard, much deviation having occurred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross