How to have your day go to crap

I just had a little moment of silence in honor of your old stock. I am sure she gave you great pleasure, and her loss is felt throughout the AH kingdom. Please keep us informed of your progress as you court new brides for your poor widowed 405.

Bad luck, Dave - that is a real shame. Just think of the journey that piece of wood experienced!

Maybe think of something fun that it could be re-purposed to - even a busted stock off a double on a bar counter/coffee-table would be a conversation piece. I'm thinking you could use it as a base for a plaque on the wall and engraved your hunting trips or trophies records on it. You could have it cut longitudinally by a decent carpenter and have symmetrical plaques.

Looking at the silver-lining, you can now get a perfect custom fit stock just for you and give the old middle-aged lady a nip and tuck that will see her good for the next 100 years.

It would be a sin to pitch the old stock in the trash..

it deserves a funeral pyre.. preferably during a braai..

just sayin'....

:)

Tommy Shurley, Can do some amazing stuff

He just lengthened the stock on my .470; while double rifles are not specifically his thing - Making custom stocks is EXACTLY what he does; he also can do any wood you imagine and can stabilize wood.

Makes me sad, but at least you didn’t get broken! Best of luck replacing it!

Here in central PA Craig Libhart is probably our most senior stock maker. 717 367-3414. I have also used Dewey Vicknair, who is a wizard with metal, knows double rifles, and is pretty good with wood, 717 626-4226.

I want to thank everyone that provided POC info for smith's that have the skills to restock my double.
I have selected CanyonCreek Gunsmiths to restock the double and I have attached a pic of the blank I am sending for them to use.

image0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
LeRoy will take good care of you. He is one of the best in the business but has kept his prices within reach of those of us who work for our money. Post pics of the finished rifle.

Good afternoon, I received my 405 back from canyon Creek custom gunstocks. I was going to have it restocked with the stock blank pictured above however Leroy mad me a deal on a fantastic piece of turkish walnut. The pictures don't even come close to how stunning it came out. I am very pleased.

405_1.JPG
405_2.JPG
405_3.JPG

Dang Dave! That sure is pretty - almost as pretty and my .405double.
BTW, you did remember the palm swell did you not?

52549_600x400.jpg

Very beautiful work! @AZDAVE !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg