How much cash do you bring?

Been on 4 safaris. I have carried anywhere from $5000 to $9000. Never an issue. I pack deep in my carry on till thru security checks then move to a pocket in my pants.
Keep a few folded bills on a clip in front pocket for spending money. This has worked for me.

Any tips on how to carry that much?
I use a money belt, but it would max out at ~3k.

I have an money belt, it is the belt I wear everyday on hunt, so it is always with me. Then I have a very slim pouch around my neck, when I put it under an undershirt, you can't see it. I then carry in my pockets the rest, easy to take 9k+ that way.

Our trip last year had nearly all of us carrying 10k plus on us, not hard at all.

2011 Zimbabwe, about $3,500 split between my wife's and my money belts. With some in front pocket. That was for emergency and tips for PH and Staff.

2016 Mozambique, about $2,000 again split between money belts. But, in this instance, the outfitter was also the PH as it was a single individual operation. As we communicated beforehand, we was fine with my paying extra trophy fees and his PH tip via wire transfer which I could do from his remote camp using the wireless setup he had.

I suggest talking to your outfitter / PH up front on tip ranges for staff and PH then what you feel necessary for emergency or incidentals.

I talked to my outfitter prior to going to make sure credit card wasnt issue. I brought $1500 in cash for tips and any airport/trinket stuff. We didnt have any overnights in SA but if i had, i would have brought more for the just incase situations. I did return home with $0 in cash,

Side note, $20 fixes almost any issue you may have in the airport over there and was happy i had it on me.

OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

I should have given more information. Our PH prefers credit card payments at his camp. He also has a bank in the US, that is where we sent a check for our deposit. He also prefers that tips be put on the credit card and he gives them to the staff on your behalf. He has his reasons for this and I trust him.

This will be the biggest expense by far and it will all be on a credit card. We have three cards that each have high enough limits to cover the anticipated expense.

The taxidermist and shipper work with credit cards too.

We are flying from the US to South Africa and will not be outside of an airport the entire time. Once in SA we're walking to our hotel. The hotel accepts credit cards. I'm assuming the restaurant in the hotel does too. The next day our PH picks us up at the hotel and takes us to camp for a week, then returns us to the airport. There really won't be any opportunities to spend money outside the airport and hotel. We don't plan on buying anything to bring home.

I would like enough cash to pay for expenses should credit card machines be down at the hotel or restaurant. I also want to have small bills for tipping anyone who helps us at the airport and rifle import. I plan on using US currency, lots of $10s $20s and $50s.

Is it a good idea to convert some funds to South African currency or is US currency accepted ? If so, is there a place to exchange currency at the airport ?

Thanks all.

On this last safari (May-Jun 2022), I took about $2800.00 in cash. I paid both safaris ahead of time (Wire transfer) to minimize the amount of cash I was carrying. The above amount was used for tips, and incidentals. I shot 3 extra animals and paid for them on a credit card.

On my first safari about 10 years ago, I took travelers check and that worked out. However, I heard that most outfitters are no longer accepting them.

I changed some Dollars to Rand at the airport. I tipped the workers at Africa Sky with Rand. I also gave my last Rand to the outfitter staff on top of the tips I left for them with the outfitters. I tipped the PHs with Dollars.

Up to the 10K limit if tipping PH, game scout, and crew in cash and doing any extra activities. When In TZ I spent a couple days at Ngorongoro Crater and extra cash for tips, driver, etc. was useful.

Been on 4 safaris. I have carried anywhere from $5000 to $9000. Never an issue. I pack deep in my carry on till thru security checks then move to a pocket in my pants.
Keep a few folded bills on a clip in front pocket for spending money. This has worked for me.
I do the same thing, I took $9000 US and 4000 rand's . No problems as long as you keep an eye on your stuff. Nine grand doesn't take up much room if it's all $100 dollar bills.

OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

I should have given more information. Our PH prefers credit card payments at his camp. He also has a bank in the US, that is where we sent a check for our deposit. He also prefers that tips be put on the credit card and he gives them to the staff on your behalf. He has his reasons for this and I trust him.

This will be the biggest expense by far and it will all be on a credit card. We have three cards that each have high enough limits to cover the anticipated expense.

The taxidermist and shipper work with credit cards too.

We are flying from the US to South Africa and will not be outside of an airport the entire time. Once in SA we're walking to our hotel. The hotel accepts credit cards. I'm assuming the restaurant in the hotel does too. The next day our PH picks us up at the hotel and takes us to camp for a week, then returns us to the airport. There really won't be any opportunities to spend money outside the airport and hotel. We don't plan on buying anything to bring home.

I would like enough cash to pay for expenses should credit card machines be down at the hotel or restaurant. I also want to have small bills for tipping anyone who helps us at the airport and rifle import. I plan on using US currency, lots of $10s $20s and $50s.

Is it a good idea to convert some funds to South African currency or is US currency accepted ? If so, is there a place to exchange currency at the airport ?

Thanks all.

Choice of currency exchanges in joburg Airport straight outside gates as you exit arrivals/immigration/customs hall

3k and i have vemo so i always have access to more instant cash.

After 8 trips to SA, just enough for tips, and never exchanged for Rand.

Everythig else taken care by bank transfer or CC.

I take about $500 USD in $20’s for tips and miscellaneous. Other than that, about $5k.
On my first trip (Zim) I took $10k. I had a prepaid account with the booking agent for the trophy fees. In retrospect, I way over tipped, but still had a fair amount of cash left.
On my second trip (Namibia), I was going to be billed for the trophy fees and had it waiting in my email when I got home and wired the balance. I still took about $5000k. I was told I could tip the staff in USD, however, when the time came, it turned out they could only be tipped in Nambian dollars. The outfitter converted $800 USD to Namibian (That was all he had on hand). The PH was tipped in USD.
Next trip I’ll take about $10k (about $500 will be in 20’s) and about $3k converted to the appropriate currency.

I bring just enough for tips and incidentals….and “facilitation fees” for those stalwart civil servants that add so much to the enjoyment of safari! I have always wired the trophy fees after the hunt.

This was a very big concern for us, spring of 22 in SA (Eastern Province). We had no problems at all using credit cards (make sure to inform your company and use a couple different cards for payment to establish a history of transactions in that country...ideally also with the main businesses to be used.
Even street vendors have portable cellular credit card swipers. Aside from that, we brought about 1200 dollars as I recall for pocket money and tips....the tip guide on this site is useful, and you can use that to judge how much your guide/hunter, etc. should be tipped depending on your individual hunt.
I was surprised to learn how many hunters...many of whom can well afford to tip...do not.
I actually totally ran out of cash on our return, and wished I had another hundred or so.

Any tips on how to carry that much?
I use a money belt, but it would max out at ~3k.
Money belt and wallet in front pants pocket. Just don't flash it around.

I have an money belt, it is the belt I wear everyday on hunt, so it is always with me. Then I have a very slim pouch around my neck, when I put it under an undershirt, you can't see it. I then carry in my pockets the rest, easy to take 9k+ that way.

Our trip last year had nearly all of us carrying 10k plus on us, not hard at all.
I was wondering why you slept with your belt on at night! Lol!

I was surprised to learn how many hunters...many of whom can well afford to tip...do not.
After talking to the PH's that I have used I came upon the same conclusion. I've been told of clients attitudes that would curl your hair.

I think it’s best to talk to your outfitter and see how he prefers to be paid. This past year mine preferred cash. And the remainder I did a bank transfer when I got home. I took about $10,000 cash. Paid tips with it and put the rest towards bill. It was no problem carrying that much. We were a group of 5 so we always felt safe. If your outfitter prefers credit card or wire then you shouldn’t need to carry that much.

If you are hunting a country other than RSA and maybe even there now (IME), you are much better off with more than you think you will need, than if you don't.

The farther you travel into the 3rd world (regardless of the continent you are on), the more you might need to keep yourself out of trouble, to get yourself out of trouble, and to simply make life easier.

Also, if you have American CASH, you can make things happen that will not happen, if you don't.

Also, if you have American CASH, things can and do happen much cheaper, if at all, if you don't.

Ask your PH beforehand and still add an additional 20%

If you can deal in CASH, you will, more than likely, make out much better than if you don't.

I took about $6K with me to Mozambique in 2021 and spent most of it.

A "fist-full of dollars" could get you an opportunity of a lifetime in a 3rd world country!

A reputable outfitter/PH will (most likely) keep you from getting it stolen.

This mindset is foreign to most Americans, who think that an American Express Centurion is the answer to all of life's problems.

A couple of credit cards is a must for international travel.

A stack of Benjamins (as well as smaller denominations) can accomplish a whole lot.

(Never try not to be primary agent acting on your behalf - that is what your safari company and hunting travel agency are experts at)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you