Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, DU, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, South Africa
Hi all.

How much US $$ do you bring for walking around money ?

Depends on how the outfitter wants to be paid and the cost of the hunt but if it's a credit card, in RSA, a couple hundred bucks in rand and a couple hundred bucks in dollars.

Check with your outfitter. On my hunt this last June there were very few places to spend cash. On my hunt 7 years ago we did a tour and some rand in my pocket was nice for a few things.

So the only cash that I spent in June was for tips. Rand for the tracker and help and US dollars for my PH

I took dollars for tips and then a few hundred as extra in case. Glad I did as we stayed at the Afton house the first night and when we went to pay, I was going to use my credit card but for some reason the grid was down and they could only take cash. Glad I had some emergency extra on me.

Small rand bills to pay with at restaurants and tips in the airport or similar shops in S Africa.

Work out tips for the hunting staff with your ph. They may need to help staff with exchange rates or similar issues.

I wired the majority of the payment ahead of time and paid the remainder on a card so had to carry very little actual cash. But emergency cash and spending cash-I take whatever is available. Souvenirs, photography parks etc, Many places could handle plastic tho.

you are supposed to declare at customs if you have more than 10k. It’s never been my problem!

Tips in cash, make arrangements if you take animals that are extra you can wire payment. Some places in Africa payment with your credit card cost you much more money. That’s not everywhere, but you need to check. The three of us took about 12000 in cash total.

completely situation dependent...

how much do I anticipate actually needing? then add about 20% for good measure, just in case..

About $1000 U.S., 500 dollars in Rand and my credit cards. If I took an unplanned animal I pay for it with a credit card. Most of my Rand, I would spend at the airport on my way home. Probably should say that my hunting days and my planned for animals were paid for before I left the U.S.

Plenty places take cards here....but you get issues like no network (cell signal)or machine not working....or as we have now gone to level 3 which means power cuts for 12 hours a day ...another possible reason swipe machines won't be working.....also remember to bring the newer usd notes as the older ones even though legal and still plenty in circulation in USA aren't accepted here, as in past too many forgeries around....also of you wanting to bring usd to change here for kwacha only 50 and 100 notes as 20 and below you get a lot worse rate...around k3 less per dollar than rate for 50 and 100 notes

About 5K in US$, another 2K US$ but in Rand equivalent and credit cards because you never know. You can always bring it back home.
Any tips on how to carry that much?
I use a money belt, but it would max out at ~3k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!