How many people have a 35 whelen?

I have two 35 Whelens. My first one was a converted 03 A3, the second one is a Remington 700. It is too bad that Remington built the bolt actioned 35 Whelens for one year only that being 1988. My youngest son has laid claim to the Remington. Both guns shoot under an inch with the same load. That being 59.5 Gr. of IMR 4064 pushing a 225 Gr. Barnes TSX at 2730 FPS. I have to give my oldest son the credit for peeking my interest it the Whelen. He wanted a new barrel for his Encore and chose the 35 Whelen. When I shot it and saw the results I was hooked. We were headed to Africa about a year after my first encounter with this caliber and I thought it would be great if both of my sons and I used the same caliber. That way we could minimize any ammo issues.

I have two 35 Whelens. My first one was a converted 03 A3, the second one is a Remington 700. It is too bad that Remington built the bolt actioned 35 Whelens for one year only that being 1988. My youngest son has laid claim to the Remington. Both guns shoot under an inch with the same load. That being 59.5 Gr. of IMR 4064 pushing a 225 Gr. Barnes TSX at 2730 FPS. I have to give my oldest son the credit for peeking my interest it the Whelen. He wanted a new barrel for his Encore and chose the 35 Whelen. When I shot it and saw the results I was hooked. We were headed to Africa about a year after my first encounter with this caliber and I thought it would be great if both of my sons and I used the same caliber. That way we could minimize any ammo issues.

We shoot the same Rifle, I think IMR 4064 is good medicine for our Remingtons. I'm just using a lighter bullet. I'm going to work up some loads using 225g Sierras and use your data. I should have about the same results, there might be some data out there with more velocity but our Rems have shorter barrels

Do own and have owned more than a few. Currently working with a newish Ruger No.1-S with 24" barrel. BTW Bob, I had some leftover loads from the '03 Whelen with 250 gr Speers and 58 and 59 grs of CFE and both shot well in the Ruger.
Will start from there with more loadings, I have a lot of Speers but almost out of CFE.

I have a 35 Whelen Ruger #1 but it’s getting re barreled to 6.5 CM. I’m a Whelen nut as well but for me the 400 Whelen is the true monster killer, .410 400gr Woodleigh RN @ 2150fps, my Winchester M70 has a Blackburn drop magazine and holds 6 down …… A 450-400 4” performance out of a magazine rifle = Whelen magic!

We shoot the same Rifle, I think IMR 4064 is good medicine for our Remingtons. I'm just using a lighter bullet. I'm going to work up some loads using 225g Sierras and use your data. I should have about the same results, there might be some data out there with more velocity but our Rems have shorter barrels
@Rob404
Here is some loads for the 225gn sierra.
Bob
Screenshot_20210205-065850_Chrome.jpg

I have a 35 Whelen Ruger #1 but it’s getting re barreled to 6.5 CM. I’m a Whelen nut as well but for me the 400 Whelen is the true monster killer, .410 400gr Woodleigh RN @ 2150fps, my Winchester M70 has a Blackburn drop magazine and holds 6 down …… A 450-400 4” performance out of a magazine rifle = Whelen magic!
@Rell
That's is the worst crime I have come across. Sell that No1 in 35 Whelen and buy a manbun. Someone here would love that No1
The only other crime I can think of that is worse is having a beautiful little Ruger in 250 Savage and rebarreling it to shame one me me for saying it a 243.
Both crimes should result in a public flogging and doomed to hunt nothing but paper targets.
Ha ha ha
Bob

I,d love to try those loads but the power shortage is forcing me to use what I have on hand

@Rell
That's is the worst crime I have come across. Sell that No1 in 35 Whelen and buy a manbun. Someone here would love that No1
The only other crime I can think of that is worse is having a beautiful little Ruger in 250 Savage and rebarreling it to shame one me me for saying it a 243.
Both crimes should result in a public flogging and doomed to hunt nothing but paper targets.
Ha ha ha
Bob
It shoots patterns, I’d feel bad selling it to someone who really knew what it should be. Also it’s stainless with an MPI fiberglass stock, I love it but it’s not art.

+1 in the owners category, but I have not had bench time to work up loads yet. Will weigh in on those hopefully in the next week or so, and try it out on some feral hogs Mid August.

Unless you hunt in states like PA or NY where if your deer runs more than 100 yards he could end up with someone else’s tag on him. There the 35’s shine.
esp. those idiots that use .22-250s w/ varmint bullets, .243s w/ 87 gr bullets, etc.-i've recovered many shot by neighbors, far from where the shot was made! lol

Remington 7600 pump, hornady superformance, absolutely love it
love the gun, not the "super"formance-Vs are often quite lower than advertised! I have chrono'ed, even bought the powder-as a result, they got me, and it's on the shelf forever.

For those comparing the .35 W, 9.3x62, and .375 HH with colorful words, here's some real data: The .358 is quite similar to the .366x62 but neither are close to the .375, not to mention the effect of bullet frontal area on DG wound channels (aka game-stopping damage). I'd stick w/ .375 & up on DG, and using the lower V 350 gr bullets that have a higher SD and penetrate like a .416/400 grainer. The .35W Ackley Improved likely becomes a 9.3. For med-sized non-DG, both are fine. They always called the 06 wildcats "the poor man's magnums," and I tend to agree. The .358 Norma is perfect for Africa-even on big cats (once a fav tiger cartridge, too!) Ackley Improve that .35W! It's just a reamer away...No special tools, no new brass-just fireform, neck size, load and shoot.

IMG_20210803_171043.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaydenJaco

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,