How many people have a 35 whelen?

I have a .35 Whelen, but I also have a .35 Remington, a .358 Winchester, a 9X57 Mauser, a .350 Rigby Magnum, a .358 Norma Magnum, a .350 G&H Magnum and a .35 Brown Improved Whelen, with a .400/.350 Rigby and a .350 No. 2 Rigby in the works. Do I seem to have a preference for .35 Caliber?
You win.

I have a couple of 35 Whelens.

Here's one:
View attachment 415303

I like 250 grain Partitions with W748 because it meters beautifully, shoots well and gives me a little over 2500 fps in both my Whelens, but I've found most powders to work well with most bullets in both.

For unleaded, I like the 200 grain Barnes TTSX pushed by W748 which crosses the chrono close to 2800 fps.

Here's the other;
View attachment 415302

CB
@Cousin Bongo
Love the idea of the scout style set up. All you need is the 10 round mag and it would fulfill all the criteria..
Only thing is it would spoil the beautiful clean lines of your rifles. They are very nice.
Bob
Well I have two. A Nosler with a synthetic stock and a beautiful wood stocked Model 70 I had rebarrelled with a German barrel.
So far my fav load is out of the Nosler book - 225 gr. Accubond pushed by 58 gr. of 4064. The TTSX 200 gr Barnes are killers as well. Also had good results from the 250 Woodleighs.
@Rick Cox
I use noslers load for varget with the Accubond, very accurate and for some reason I can't explain I get 2,850fps chronoed which is higher than the load says.
I have yet to try the Barnes but looking forward to trying the 220gn Australian made atomic 29.
Bob

Problem with Adirondack is you have to roam a long ways between deer. I have hunted bear up there a few times when the beech it’s are thick.
Its true. It's the BEST isn't it?! The desire to actually HUNT for deer up here is one of the reasons I love it!!!! Sorry. I'm born and bred Adirondack kid and I'd have it no other way... I will say though, the odds of running into a monster up here is much better than it is in othe parts of the state. Especially if you don't mind hiking a little ways in some places. I have a place in Stony Creek where I have pretty good luck with black bear. September is bear hunting time for me and I look forward to it all year.

Last edited:
Let's not Hijack Bob's thread. Ahh why not?
@CBH Australia
I can see you getting a Whelen the same day I get a 243. NEVER.
Ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob
Never say never, I might get a Whelen before a Manbun.
I now work with a bloke that has Dreadlocks and found he seems quite decent and has a couple of trades, we get along well.
I met a bloke who shoots a Creedmoor and he seems normal. We are going to meet up at the range , he likes 7mm's so I cut him some slack.
These are strange times we live in.

Who knows Bob, we might try a Latte when we meet up.

Let's not Hijack Bob's thread. Ahh why not?

Never say never, I might get a Whelen before a Manbun.
I now work with a bloke that has Dreadlocks and found he seems quite decent and has a couple of trades, we get along well.
I met a bloke who shoots a Creedmoor and he seems normal. We are going to meet up at the range , he likes 7mm's so I cut him some slack.
These are strange times we live in.

Who knows Bob, we might try a Latte when we meet up.
I wouldn't go that far Chris, a double shot flat white is about the best you will get me to have.
I will let you have the soy latte with the non child Labor pickers and sustainable sourced chocolate sprinkle.
Mate it matters not that they shoot a differen caliber it's good they shoot. Just don't take him bush in your best broken heel pink tutu until you know him better. We know and understand your ways he doesn't yet.
Bob

Ah shucks, might as well contribute to Bob’s weekly Wailin’ 35 bump.

I’ve had two. Both on blueprinted Remington 700 actions with Krieger barrels on HS Precision stocks. One a standard and one an AI. Both were extraordinarily accurate and easy to work up loads for. But… every time it came time to pick a rifle to take hunting, I’d choose something other than one of the Whelens. As accurate and easy to live with as they were, they seemed to always answer a question I never asked. I’m sure someone else has put them to good use. :)

I’ve had two. Both on blueprinted Remington 700 actions with Krieger barrels on HS Precision stocks. One a standard and one an AI. Both were extraordinarily accurate and easy to work up loads for. But… every time it came time to pick a rifle to take hunting, I’d choose something other than one of the Whelens. As accurate and easy to live with as they were, they seemed to always answer a question I never asked. I’m sure someone else has put them to good use. :)
@fourfive8
What question did you never ask but was always answered you have me very curious.
Bob

Bob - I have a soft spot for the mid bores, but may be less discriminatory - I have a M98 redone to a 35 Whelen, but have some 350 Rigby Magnums, 318s and 333 Jeffery as well. Let me know if the oddballs get honorable mention - one has the same caliber, another essentially the same case.

@fourfive8
What question did you never ask but was always answered you have me very curious.
Bob

I guess if I had asked for a rifle to shoot a good, tough 225 or 250 grain 35 caliber bullet accurately with a 2500 fps MV, for an average range shot of 75-100 yards on an animal of elk size and toughness, I could not have found a flaw in going with the Whelen. However, that would have been a pretty narrow range of ideal circumstances and I never asked that question- simple as that. When I had two of them I was asking questions like, "what is the ideal 300 yard pronghorn or mule deer or caribou caliber in my safe or what one caliber/rifle would work best for impala and wildebeest and kudu and eland and buffalo?" :)

Yep. I’ll bet when it came time to pick a rifle to go hunting, you chose your .338WM. That’s how you answered the question you never had to ask? Ha! Ha!

I do not the .35 Whelen rifle, but do have two 20 round boxes of Remington .35 Whelen ammunition.

It's all horse for courses and the more we have the more we have to decide who stays home this trip.
I sometimes remember people saying you can only shoot one at a time.
When I worked in the bush I could take a quick hunt on foot in the afternoon so they all got a turn.
My .280ai gets the next turn for a hunt unless I need something specific.
But I rebarrelled a .308 and it deserves a turn too.

Bob - I have a soft spot for the mid bores, but may be less discriminatory - I have a M98 redone to a 35 Whelen, but have some 350 Rigby Magnums, 318s and 333 Jeffery as well. Let me know if the oddballs get honorable mention - one has the same caliber, another essentially the same case.
@318AE
I have a soft spot for a lot of old midbores. As a kid I fell in love with the 318WR and 350 Rigby and always wanted a 404 and a Schultz and Larson 7x61 Sharpe and hart.
Alas I will never have any so I chose the 35 Whelen. Closest I could get to a 350 rigby and be able to afford it. It is as close as I could get and is an awesome round. It give an insight into what the old cartridges were really capable of and how well they worked. To me it's a shame the new cartridges have overshadowed some of the old that have the same capabilities.
Bob

I guess if I had asked for a rifle to shoot a good, tough 225 or 250 grain 35 caliber bullet accurately with a 2500 fps MV, for an average range shot of 75-100 yards on an animal of elk size and toughness, I could not have found a flaw in going with the Whelen. However, that would have been a pretty narrow range of ideal circumstances and I never asked that question- simple as that. When I had two of them I was asking questions like, "what is the ideal 300 yard pronghorn or mule deer or caribou caliber in my safe or what one caliber/rifle would work best for impala and wildebeest and kudu and eland and buffalo?" :)
@fourfive8
The Whelen would have done all you asked of it and in a pinch I dare say all of it including buffalo.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross