How many double rifles do you own?

Velo - thanks for he nice words on the proportions of my Simson .405 DR. It has become one of my favorites.
My .405 double weighs 9 pounds unloaded. It was made on a 12 ga Simson frame and has 24 inch McGowen barrels that each are 1/2 minute of angle accurate.. The maker made it for himself and he was also a shotgun shooter. The recoil from factory Hornady 300 grain ammo at 2225 fps is hardly noticeable. My hand loaded 400 grain DG loads at 2050 fps are even comfortable from a shooting bench- and also accurate.
As you know, many factors combine to make a gun easy and comfortable to shoot, including the weight of the action.
My .45-70 DR made by the same gun maker (and hunted by him for 10 years) weighs the same and it has 26 inch McGowen barrels on a Beretta GR-2 action. The wood on both guns is exhibition grade and they both fit me very well.
Now that our winter rains are slacking off(15 inches in January), I plan some serious shooting of the Beretta as all I have done with it is go kill a boar that the dogs cornered in a creek. From any gun, the .45-70 is deadly.

I retired from my booking agent business about two years ago and sold my doubles, a 450-400 Army/Navy, a 450-400-3" Jefferys, a 450-400-3" Searcy, and I traded off my 470 Searcy for a 450-400 =-3",to Butch Searcy, a gun he won the nationals with, it shot 4 into an inch at 75 every time, and he built me a super nice 450-400 that shot almost that good.Today I have no use for a double as Im reaching an age wherein the flight to Africa is a killer, I do my big game hunting behind my house these days, pretty good elk and deer hunting, and on a family ranch in Texas.I love hunting with doubles and iron sights, today I love hunting with lever guns and iron sights from time to time.

I have owned and traded away:

Kreighoff dangerous game series sxs in 470 NE
two Merkel sxs in 9,3x74R
Chapius sxs in 9,3 x 74 R
Rizzini O/U in 9,3x74R
A custom 450/400 built on a shotgun action
Baikal sxs in 30-06
a 12 bore rifled gun built on a baikal action
a 12 bore French Paradox with one barrel fully rifled, the other smooth

I currently own a Simpson sxs in .303 British
- contacting gunmakers to make a set of shotgun barrels to go with this

I am selling a bolt gun - Remington-Zastava in .458 with rings, dies, ammo to start the funds for a heavy bore sxs as my next purchase.

VC 375 Flanged Mag O/U.One day a VC round body 450/400 sxs.
E6EECCC4-A305-46EC-9251-F5E8B454852F.jpeg

Prior to accessing this site about five years ago I had given very little thought to a double rifle or Africa hunting. Generally anything I bought had Winchester written on it with exceptions for items that read Parker or Browning or back when I was employed, Colt and S&W. But after conversing with the people on this site, I've pretty much decided that my next major expenditure will be for a Heym 88 or 89, not sure which, and not sure if the caliber should be .40, .45, 47, or .50. but at present, I'm enjoying the hunt of deciding just what I want and where I'll go.

After buying , shooting and hunting with my first Verney Carron in 577NE about 7 years ago, I fell in love with both VC and double rifles. I now have a few and am absolutely loving everything about them.

I might be proven wrong someday, but I truly believe that they might also be a good investment.

From left to right.600NE( Imperial),577NE ( Imperial, 577NE (ph round body), 500 NE,(ph r/body),500NE(ph r/body), 470NE( ph r/body)450NE( ph r/body) ,450-400NE small bodyView attachment 342742.

Best part about them, is that all have them have put one of the big 5 in the salt.( I’m very grateful for that)

Looks more like a display in an upmarket dealers showroom..very nice collection

Depressingly I am doubleless (if that's a word)...these days..had in the past
Rigby 470NE sidelock...my brain fart moment when I sold it..
Chapuis sxs in 9.3x74r sold to a friend as had bought my all time favourite rifle a
Jeffery sxs in 9.3x74r with 20 bore barrels
Lang sxs boxlock in 470NE
But both those had to go to pay to lawyers fees...:E Red Hot::E Red Hot::E Red Hot:

Depressingly I am doubleless (if that's a word)...these days..had in the past
Rigby 470NE sidelock...my brain fart moment when I sold it..
Chapuis sxs in 9.3x74r sold to a friend as had bought my all time favourite rifle a
Jeffery sxs in 9.3x74r with 20 bore barrels
Lang sxs boxlock in 470NE
But both those had to go to pay to lawyers fees...:E Red Hot::E Red Hot::E Red Hot:

Fu....lawyers or the cause thereof........

None ... If I would like to have one in caliber 45-70, for the hunt that I do, it is enough.
But it would be to get the pleasure, because with the bolt-action rifle I have everything covered.

Nice collection. How old is your Cogswell&Harrison Patrillos? Do you have some pictures to post? What loads are you running the 375 Flanged at?

Nice collection. How old is your Cogswell&Harrison Patrillos? Do you have some pictures to post? What loads are you running the 375 Flanged at?
I have a document where I can look when it was made and who was the first owner. He was a brittish chaptain who worked and hunted in India. I have also an old book of that far years when I can see the gun and that man holding it. As soon as posible I will take pics of everythings and, of course, rifle pics and I will post them.

VC 375 Flanged Mag O/U.One day a VC round body 450/400 sxs.View attachment 359979
I have the identical rifle in 9.3x74R. How does yours shoot? I own a number of other doubles, and for all of them I have found very accurate loads. To date the little VC shoots what could charitably be called patterns rather than groups.

Verney Carron Sagittaire 9.3x74R

I have the identical rifle in 9.3x74R. How does yours shoot? I own a number of other doubles, and for all of them I have found very accurate loads. To date the little VC shoots what could charitably be called patterns rather than groups.

What does VC mean?

Attachments

• catalogue-2018-US-Export-Verney-Carron.pdf
    21 MB · Views: 165

Hi Red Leg, my 375FL VC shoots pretty well, make that about a 40mm cluster at 50m. Last outing at the range I checked regulation with our developed load using 300 grain Woodleighs at around 2365fps if I remember well. Anyway at 50m top and bottom are on the same horizontal about 25mm apart. This is the open sight version with a hogs back comb and drops a bit at the heel. The result is a perfect fit, so I am pretty impressed with the instinctive performance on our various DG action shoots, especially charging lion. This is the Atelier VC version, so a little more fancy and has Lothar Walther barrels, maybe that helps?
9ECC87B4-4255-4458-AA87-B9DD36B2DE95.jpeg

Hi Red Leg, my 375FL VC shoots pretty well, make that about a 40mm cluster at 50m. Last outing at the range I checked regulation with our developed load using 300 grain Woodleighs at around 2365fps if I remember well. Anyway at 50m top and bottom are on the same horizontal about 25mm apart. This is the open sight version with a hogs back comb and drops a bit at the heel. The result is a perfect fit, so I am pretty impressed with the instinctive performance on our various DG action shoots, especially charging lion. This is the Atelier VC version, so a little more fancy and has Lothar Walther barrels, maybe that helps?View attachment 363441
Yep. Nicer rifle.

On mine, I had to have JJ Perodeau work on the triggers and safety (safety required a hammer to move it forward and trigger pull was approaching two digits). Both issues seem to also reflect the quality of the regulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg