How many double rifles do you own?

DEFYET

AH member
Reaction score
Media
How many of you own more than one double? What's in your battery?

Maybe the question should be....How many of you would like to own more than one double?
I know I would love to own several.

I have two..a pre-war british .475 NE (Straight) and a Krieghoff Big Five in .470NE..

Only cost prevent me from having one in .577NE or .600NE..

A Savage 24 with a 357 insert to make it a double. Does that count?:ROFLMAO:
Oh I’m envious of any double rifle! I got to shoot a friend’s Chapuis 9.3x74R and Gizmo’s Sabatti 9.3x74R. What fun!

Just one. Chapuis 375 H&H and I love it. Great for close in hunting of cape buffalo and nyala in thick bush.
Would I buy another one? Yep. Probably a Verney Carron round action in 416 Rigby if they offer that caliber. 450/400 if they don't.

Had two but now none if you don't count my Bergstutzen!
Found out that they have nothing that a bolt rifle can't do better.
At least for my kind of hunting.
But they are fun guns to own and shoot.
Maybe I will get one again!;)

Got a Sabatti 416 Rigby extractor. I love the thing but im on the look out for a 500NE in the coming years maybe

Almost enough...

Well maybe not...:whistle::sneaky::whistle:

Hey Ridgewalker,
Thank you! You just gave me another double rifle- or maybe a combination gun.

I have an 18 inch .45-70 rifled barrel insert for the 12 ga barrel of my 22 hornet over 12 gauge Savage M24. At 100 yards , it shoots 6 inch groups with 300 grain bullets. So, that makes it a .22 Hornet/.45-70 double rifle! :)
The barrel in a barrel also muffles the report nicely. My other doubles are SxS.
52027_600x400.jpg

Attachments

• 52027_600x400.jpg
    52027_600x400.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
None, sadly.
However, I have owned the following four (all were Side by Side configuration):
Merkel .375 H&H.
Army & Navy .450 No2 NE.
Henry Atkin .275 Flanged NE (aka: 7x57R).
Heym 88B .458 Winchester.

NOTES:
A.
I bagged 9 critters in Africa with the Merkel .375 / 300 gr Hornady round nose softs.
I used both the claw mounted 2.5x Leupold scope, as well as just the iron sights on this rifle.
The rest of my little former collection in double rifles had only open sights on them.
B.
With the A&N .450 No2 / 480 gr Hornady soft and solid, (in that order/one each) I shot the buffalo in my avatar (plus plains game).
C.
The .275 was a splendid little mirror image of the .450 No2, including the hammers, Jones underlever, express sights and all, except miniature.
D.
Originally I had bought the Heym .458, used (cheap), intending to have it re-chambered to .450 NE (Heym offered this conversion at that time, fairly reasonable in price, considering all that’s involved).
But upon firing it, this rifle was so well regulated aka: accurate with 500 gr softs and solids that, I quickly decided to be content with, “If it works, don’t fix it”.
E.
Unfortunately, I am but a blue collar worker and so have sold all 4 of the above rifles and no longer own a double Rifle.
F.
I do have a 1970’s vintage Spanish (Zabala/ Richland) heavy double 12 bore 3” Magnum shotgun, 2 triggers, oval cheek piece, etc. that, I had a professional Gunsmith cut the chokes off of (leaving about 26” true cylinder barrels) and install one standing blade rear sight / wide “V” shape and large white bead front sight plus he installed a proper anti-recoil pad.
This “poor man’s Paradox Gun” throws shotgun slugs surprisingly tight together, from either barrel, into satisfying small clusters, at 50 meters, on center, with a 6 O’Clock hold, (standing from sticks).
G.
Nowadays, I would never have a double scoped, if it was not already done like that when I bought it.
My preference for doubles is to use them with express sights (While we’re at it, I definitely do not care for red dot sights on anything either).
H.
At the moment, I am saving my pop bottle money for another trip to Africa one of these years so, no double rifle is in my near future.
That said, I dream of a slim trim SxS in .303 British.
Hopefully one day I will find a decent one, for a working man’s price (perhaps professionally made on a pre-war, 16 or 20 gauge German third fastener type shotgun action ?).

Parting Shot as it were:
If I had to choose but one rifle, for my hunting and tramping about the bush with, it definitely would be a bolt action ‘98 Mauser (or one of the reasonable evolved copies thereof) in .375 H&H.
Nonetheless, I love doubles (both rifles and shotguns) and hopefully have not owned my last one yet.

Last edited:
Just one. Chapuis 375 H&H and I love it. Great for close in hunting of cape buffalo and nyala in thick bush.
Would I buy another one? Yep. Probably a Verney Carron round action in 416 Rigby if they offer that caliber. 450/400 if they don't.
Well, Verney Carron doesn't offer their double in 416 Rigby, but Chapuis does. So, if I were looking to buy another one it would probably be the Chapuis.

None, sadly.
However, I have owned the following four (all were Side by Side configuration):
Merkel .375 H&H.
Army & Navy .450 No2 NE.
Henry Atkin .275 Flanged NE (aka: 7x57R).
Heym 88B .458 Winchester.

NOTES:
A.
I bagged 9 critters in Africa with the Merkel .375 / 300 gr Hornady round nose softs.
I used both the claw mounted 2.5x Leupold scope, as well as just the iron sights on this rifle.
The rest of my little former collection in double rifles had only open sights on them.
B.
With the A&N .450 No2 / 480 gr Hornady soft and solid, (in that order/one each) I shot the buffalo in my avatar (plus plains game).
C.
The .275 was a splendid little mirror image of the .450 No2, including the hammers, Jones underlever, express sights and all, except miniature.
D.
Originally I had bought the Heym .458, used (cheap), intending to have it re-chambered to .450 NE (Heym offered this conversion at that time, fairly reasonable in price, considering all that’s involved).
But upon firing it, this rifle was so well regulated aka: accurate with 500 gr softs and solids that, I quickly decided to be content with, “If it works, don’t fix it”.
E.
Unfortunately, I am but a blue collar worker and so have sold all 4 of the above rifles and no longer own a double Rifle.
F.
I do have a 1970’s vintage Spanish (Zabala/ Richland) heavy double 12 bore 3” Magnum shotgun, 2 triggers, oval cheek piece, etc. that, I had a professional Gunsmith cut the chokes off of (leaving about 26” true cylinder barrels) and install one standing blade rear sight / wide “V” shape and large white bead front sight plus he installed a proper anti-recoil pad.
This “poor man’s Paradox Gun” throws shotgun slugs surprisingly tight together, from either barrel, into satisfying small clusters, at 50 meters, on center, with a 6 O’Clock hold, (standing from sticks).
G.
Nowadays, I would never have a double scoped, if it was not already done like that when I bought it.
My preference for doubles is to use them with express sights (While we’re at it, I definitely do not care for red dot sights on anything either).
H.
At the moment, I am saving my pop bottle money for another trip to Africa one of these years so, no double rifle is in my near future.
That said, I dream of a slim trim SxS in .303 British.
Hopefully one day I will find a decent one, for a working man’s price (perhaps professionally made on a pre-war, 16 or 20 gauge German third fastener type shotgun action ?).

Parting Shot as it were:
If I had to choose but one rifle, for my hunting and tramping about the bush with, it definitely would be a bolt action ‘98 Mauser (or one of the reasonable evolved copies thereof) in .375 H&H.
Nonetheless, I love doubles (both rifles and shotguns) and hopefully have not owned my last one yet.
Thanks for that post Paul, I enjoyed reading it. I remember you talking about the 458. Do you have any pictures of #2 and #3?

I do hope to make it up there for for the double rifle shoot, if not next year, hopefully the year after.

With the economic outlook as it is, and especially the oil industry. Perhaps there will be some real deals over the next year..... if you find enough pop bottles. On the other hand, switch to milk so I can buy another;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvividconsultant

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross