How many countries in Africa can be hunted?

Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
So I recently saw a fellow member post that there are 54 countries on the African continent. Got me wondering how many of those could be hunted? Also what species are the most sought after for each country. I'm hoping this will be a long and informative thread, as I'm really curious as to what the list is. Since going on my trip I have only become more obsessed with Africa as a whole (much to my wife's dismay) and have hatched a plan for that mythical lotto win- hunt every legal country in Africa. I realize that is probably THE dream of our community as a whole, so I though getting this going might be helpful to all!

have hatched a plan for that mythical lotto win- hunt every legal country in Africa

I have an acquaintance who is doing this, if he hasn't already. He was down to five countries left I think last I heard?

What I don't recall, if I ever knew, was how many he had actually hunted.

The easier way to start the thread might be what could tries can't be hunted? I'm not sure that there are any that you can't hunt anything? Even Kenya allows bird hunting I believe. And Angola can be hunted, just no exports.

Interesting idea on what would be top animal to hunt in each country.

The others I know you can hunt :
Swaziland, Mauritius

They may not be for international hunters.
Uganda, Angola, Kenya, Egypt, Morocco

Everywhere else requires a very special license and admittance into a group hunting club and special training.

Wow that's a lot less than I thought there would be

From a few hunting shows on TV, Uganda and Morocco can be hunted

From a few hunting shows on TV, Uganda and Morocco can be hunted

At a smaller show here in Phoenix last year there was an outfitter from Uganda there. It is definitely open or at least was for this year.

Great thread!

Here are a few more countries...
Tunisia
Senegal
Chad
Democratic Republic of Congo
Liberia
Nigeria
Mali
Gambia
Mauritania
Algeria

Uganda is open. I know a guy who hunted there earlier this year and took a Sitatunga and a few other critters.

I was going to add that really all the countries are open to hunting: Some you can hunt, others you might become the hunted.

Ok now we are getting somewhere. So right now the countries we have are:
Algeria
Benin
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Congo
Ethiopia
Gambia
Liberia
Mali
Mauritania
Mauritius
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Nigeria
Senegal
South Africa
Swaziland
Tanzania
Tunisia
Uganda
Zambia
Zimbabwe
TOTAL- 26

So now does anyone know what the biggest draws are to each country? Best places for bongo, sitatunga, mountain nyala, etc. Also any animals not commonly heard of that can be hunted in these countries

Even Kenya allows bird hunting I believe.

I heard they stopped this either last year or this year.

An acquaintance in the oil business has hunted birds in Egypt in the last 10 years. Not sure if this is open to international hunters or if you have to be a resident to do this or not.

I am not sure the status of Malawi. Not sure if this place is still open.

http://www.**NOT**PERMITTED**.com/hunting_article_details.cfm?id=2299

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 3.23.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 3.23.20 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
So now does anyone know what the biggest draws are to each country?

Tunisia and Morocco have wild boar that are hunted. I'm sure they have some of the sheep/goat families that are hunted as well.

I am not sure the status of Malawi. Not sure if this place is still open.

http://www.**NOT**PERMITTED**.com/hunting_article_details.cfm?id=2299

Bossie and I talked about Malawi. I THINK it is closed, but they were looking into re-opening? Will have to ask him.

Angola
Congo - you have Democratic Republic of Congo and Congo Brazzaville that i think are both huntable

In Morocco, wild boar and birds can be hunted . There are Aoudad (Barbary Sheep) but these are protected.

In Algeria, wild boar and birds can be hunted. There are gazelle, mouflons and deer, but actually protected.

Mauritania has excellent warthogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg