How Did You Get Started Become Interested In Reloading

These hot-cor speerpoints and hornady brass is about the cheapest I can find to plink with. For thouse who plink with a 416 Rigby.

I started handloading because that was the only way I could get ammo loaded with Nosler Partition bullets(1964)- but then Norma got the idea and started factory loading, followed by the US companies improving their product. I think the reason there is so much "super-premium" factory ammo available now is because we handloaders shamed them into it.

I started handloading because that was the only way I could get ammo loaded with Nosler Partition bullets(1964)- but then Norma got the idea and started factory loading, followed by the US companies improving their product. I think the reason there is so much "super-premium" factory ammo available now is because we handloaders shamed them into it.
No kidding. Plus there's just something about your own round's. Don't know, sometimes I can visualize the projectiles, brass down to the charge and primer and you can kind of feel your shot more

I started reloading for the first centre fire rifle I bought, a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. I figured it had to be cheaper than buying factory ammo and you chew through a bit of ammo when you learn the trajectory of the ole 30-30 by shooting hundreds of rabbits from 5 to 150 metres. You may have guessed it, I am not found of rabbits as table fare.:)

You guys have probably read how I got into re-loading so No need to go back, This week I was able to get a young man interested in re-loading. I met Carl at the range when I was testing loads with my 404Jeff, he was shooting his 22 and some sort of Commie Bloc AR something. I managed to his attention as soon as I pulled the trigger on the Jeff, he walked over and asked what I was shooting and being a proud 404 owner I was more than willing to explain what I had, I kind of saw the look in his eye so I said "Want to run a few down range" he jumped at the chance, now Carl weighs about 150 so needless to say from a sitting position he got the brunt of the recoil right on his shoulder, I could see his discomfort and I said "want to shoot it again?" and he jumped at the chance. Any way a couple weeks later he showed up at the range with a 8mm Yugo Mauser and store bought ammo, and walked right over to show me his latest purchase. I told him that it was going to get expensive shooting store bought and mentioned he should save his brass, one thing led to another and I offered to re-load his brass for him and all he had to pay for was the primer and bullets, That week I loaded him some Fun Loads and I think I charged him about .38 a round. To move this story along, he asked if I could teach him how to re-load so this Saturday he stopped by and I went thru the entire process of looking up load in loading manuals,measuring OACL, Punching out old primers, using my old Lee hand Primer, and even tho I have an RCBS electronic powder measurer had him go old school with my Old Sinclair scale. We had a pleasant afternoon he got a good learning experience and I got 150rds of 7mm-08 . a good deal for both of us

You guys have probably read how I got into re-loading so No need to go back, This week I was able to get a young man interested in re-loading. I met Carl at the range when I was testing loads with my 404Jeff, he was shooting his 22 and some sort of Commie Bloc AR something. I managed to his attention as soon as I pulled the trigger on the Jeff, he walked over and asked what I was shooting and being a proud 404 owner I was more than willing to explain what I had, I kind of saw the look in his eye so I said "Want to run a few down range" he jumped at the chance, now Carl weighs about 150 so needless to say from a sitting position he got the brunt of the recoil right on his shoulder, I could see his discomfort and I said "want to shoot it again?" and he jumped at the chance. Any way a couple weeks later he showed up at the range with a 8mm Yugo Mauser and store bought ammo, and walked right over to show me his latest purchase. I told him that it was going to get expensive shooting store bought and mentioned he should save his brass, one thing led to another and I offered to re-load his brass for him and all he had to pay for was the primer and bullets, That week I loaded him some Fun Loads and I think I charged him about .38 a round. To move this story along, he asked if I could teach him how to re-load so this Saturday he stopped by and I went thru the entire process of looking up load in loading manuals,measuring OACL, Punching out old primers, using my old Lee hand Primer, and even tho I have an RCBS electronic powder measurer had him go old school with my Old Sinclair scale. We had a pleasant afternoon he got a good learning experience and I got 150rds of 7mm-08 . a good deal for both of us
Terrific story. Anyone 2 under a certain age has a advantage today as well with buying equipment used. There's alot of old timers passing away and there press's and dies are being sold at very reasonable prices. I'm sure you are advising him to shop around. Cause he can get a really nice press for cheap and leaves him $ to buy other components

Terrific story. Anyone 2 under a certain age has a advantage today as well with buying equipment used. There's alot of old timers passing away and there press's and dies are being sold at very reasonable prices. I'm sure you are advising him to shop around. Cause he can get a really nice press for cheap and leaves him $ to buy other components
Yes I told him to scrounge E-bay as well as Craigs lists so he can get an idea of what the prices are for used equipment, and honestly I'll give him a Powder feeder and the Sinclair scale to get him started

I started hand loading when Remington came out with their Classic Model in 8x57is. I purchased a K98 8x57is in the mid sixties when I was just 15 years and have always enjoyed that rifle shooting surplus ammo. After purchasing the Remington Classic I soon discovered that most ammunition for the 8x57 was under powered and not up to the standard that I desired. So that and the fact that I have two sons that showed interest in shooting and reloading, we set out to discover a hole new hobby that we have enjoyed for the past several years. Now we load for many more rifles in many more cartridges and thoroughly enjoy the journey.

Yes I told him to scrounge E-bay as well as Craigs lists so he can get an idea of what the prices are for used equipment, and honestly I'll give him a Powder feeder and the Sinclair scale to get him started
I bought my Rcbs rock chucker 3 for 1/2 price from Craigslist. The guy moved up to a Dillon progressive plus it came with a bunch of other goodies. Cool. You should have this young man chime in hear.

When I started reloading it was to get the most shooting out of the wages of 13 year old farm hand. The problem was my teacher was not really into details and his loads were not the most reliable I found myself shooting reloads hunting with factory loads. Then when I finally got my own press and started working on my own I found that my hand rolled stuff was better than factory and just as reliable.

I have 4 guns that have never shot a factory load and probably never will as long as I'm alive.
I'm in the process of teaching my sons the art of reloading now and I'm starting with the details first.

I'm a machinist in the aircraft industry so detail is very important to me.

But when the guns they shoot print tiny groups and a misfire never happens they understand.
When I set them down to read reloading manuals they know why.

And we all enjoy it.

I bought my Rcbs rock chucker 3 for 1/2 price from Craigslist. The guy moved up to a Dillon progressive plus it came with a bunch of other goodies. Cool. You should have this young man chime in hear.
The Guy that taught me reloading has moved up to a Dillon 550 I'm hoping to get his Tricked up Multi Stage Lee

I started reloading 25+ years ago when I was doing some competitive pistol shooting.. both as a means of cost savings, and just for the fun of it... mostly loaded 9mm, .45, and .38/.357 back in those days.. and did a little bit of .223 and .30 carbine too.. but that was it...

I'm just starting to get back into it now.. between the 7mm WSM (hard to find factory ammo.. and limited options..) and the .375 H&H (expensive ammo) I think its time to start rolling my own again...

Ive already bought dies and a few odds and ends to support 9mm, .45, .223, .243, .308, 7MM WSM, and .375 H&H (picked up stuff here and there when midway or brownells has been running a sale)... but still haven't bought a press yet.. I'm looking pretty hard at the RCBS turret option.. promotive has them at a really good price and I've always liked RCBS presses..

Hopefully will be cranking out bullets at home again soon..

Last edited:
Getting into my reloading. Shooting 257 Roberts in the UK you don't see a lot of factory ammo...

Also, thinking of casting and reloading some 12g slug...

I'm a Rcbs fan. Never had a problem with their products. Plus they replace anything that goes wrong even if it is your fault

Began loading for the shotguns in 1967 both to save money and to be able to construct loads that were not readily available or very expensive. To be able to load what I want when I want it.
Can't remember the last time I purchased factory rounds.

I'm a Rcbs fan. Never had a problem with their products. Plus they replace anything that goes wrong even if it is your fault
I have a RC Junior quite a few dies also have their electronic scale and like their general quility if I could pick a fault it would be the soft metal they use for their dies.

Ya there takarov dies are outrageous. 150$ I bought the Lee's for 30$ and I've been happy with them. My Rigby dies are hornady but other then that all Rcbs hear

About 20 years or so ago I picked up a Lee press, powder thrower, scale, and hand primer for $35 from a guy that had to have better equipment I still have it all except the scale which worked well but was not easy to use with my large fingers. The powder thrower is all plastic fells cheap and light but I have never used one that worked better and it will always have a home with me even if I decide to upgrade all else I also have a Dillon 550 that I got for $100 that needs primer tubes to get it up and running but other projects seam to push that to the back all the time. My dies are mostly rcbs a few Lee and 1 lone Hornady set.

I guess I started becoming more interested in reloading recently when i purchased a 333Jeffery. Factory ammo would be impossible. Components are damn near hard enough to find!
I am yet to fire a round through it... but I will... one day soon... I hope!

I guess I started becoming more interested in reloading recently when i purchased a 333Jeffery. Factory ammo would be impossible. Components are damn near hard enough to find!
I am yet to fire a round through it... but I will... one day soon... I hope!
Your dilemma pains and saddens me brother. I hope so, you find solace under the bang of that Jeffery ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber