How Did You Get Started Become Interested In Reloading

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just curious........for those that reload, why & how did you start reloading?

I became interested because I wanted to "shoot more" and "spend less", although I probably ended up spending more because I shot more;) I started reloading at the age of 16.
I started metallic reloading using the LEE "whack-a-mole" kits; my first one was the .30/30. Bought a pound of IMR4064 and some Speer 170 grain bullets and never looked back. I bought the LEE kits for other calibers I had (.30-06, 8mm Mauser, .38 special, .44 magnum, 9mm luger) while in school (money was scarce, and the LEE kits were economical) and when I got out of school and got a little money ahead, I got a LEE hand press and some RCBS dies. Been using that kit for the last 30+ years or so.
I started shotshell reloading with a MEC 600 jr in 12 gauge (currently on my 2nd press in that gauge), and briefly used a couple of LEE load alls in 16 and 20 gauge (later went to the MEC for both of those). With the cost of lead shot being an issue, and target shotshells being cheaper than reloading, I no longer load target loads in 12 or 20, but 16 gauge hulls are hard to find, so I will continue to load target loads in that gauge. I will also continue to load hunting and specialty loads (nontoxic hunting loads, training blanks, slugs) in all gauges as well.
All the big game that I've taken have been taken with handloads.......the only time I buy factory rounds is when I get a new rifle/caliber, and that's basically so I'll have brass to reload!:LOL:

Currently, I reload for the .223, 6.5x55, .308, 30/30, .30-06, .35 Remington, .338 Win. mag, .375 H&H, .380 ACP, 9mm, 38 Special, .38 Super, .357 Magnum, and .44 magnum. The only round I shoot that I DON"T reload for (currently) is the .30 Luger.

So what's your story?:)

Sporting Clays and Bird hunting.
It started out trying to save some money and eventually allowed me to develop a shotgun load that was as good or better than what could be purchased.

Then I started a friendship with someone who reloaded for rifle hunting. I had an accurate rifle load from a manufacturer and was not so sure about this pain staking process.
Then an unforeseen gift came my way. A complete reloading set with absolutely everything I would need to reload rifle cartridges. That was it, no more excuses.
The final kick in the pants was to get loads for the first trip to Africa.
The initial pain and agony to find a bullet that worked in my rifle was something to endure.
After that, it has been tinkering and testing and turned into a good past time.

I still reload for the shotgun, only 12 gauge. There is nothing better than knowing the exact lead you require for those passing long shots.

Three calibers have joined the reloading team: .270 Win, .300 Win Mag and the .375H&H.
I think I am covered.

This site! I thought reloading was too much for me. But, @matt85 called me out on the idea and was a big help getting me started. Everyone here has been generous with their ideas. I now load for 6.5x55, 06, 270win and 375 h&h. I have the dies for a 7mm Rem mag. I really enjoy the tinkering and you get to know your gun very well.

375 H&H Magnum!!!

I was stationed in Alaska, bought a 7mm Rem Mag to take there, got there and a guy had a DEAL on a 375 H&H, almost identical to my 7mm.

Back then, a box of 20 for the 7mm was like $6.00 a box of 375 was $30. I didn't have disposable income so I started loading to shoot.

I too started reloading for the costs after I got my .375 H&H. But I soon found that I really enjoy reloading, almost as much as shooting!

Like most, I started to reload so I can shoot more. Reloading was about half the price of factory which meant I shoot twice as often. Since then it has help me develop loads specific to each firearm I own and shoot. The knowledge gained in knowing your rifle and bullet is invaluable when you get in the field. It is also a part of the adventure to "develop" a new load for a specific animal in planning my next trip.

My folks bought me a RCBS kit for my 12th birthday so I could load for my 7 mag. Lived about 70 miles from town and I was always running out of ammo and bugging them for a ride to sportsman surplus in Missoula, guess they thought I would quit bothering them if I could roll my own. Didn't quite work out that way, I just started running out of bullets, Primers and powder! Loaded for 7 Rem Mag and my 1911 as those were the only two center fires I had as a kid(I have made up for my abused upbringing now!lol)
image.jpg

I prolly wouldn't excess like I do now had they just took me to town more often! Lol. That birthday gift has given me more enjoyment than any other in my lifetime.
Keep you're powder dry,
Cody

I started loading my own shotgun shells when I was shooting in a trap league. Expanded that into hunting rounds for waterfowl as you could get better results doing your own steel shot loads.

Then I moved to Arizona and the shotgun stopped seeing so much action. But my first boss here who is an avid hunter was into loading his own rifle bullets. He got me started with loading my own 7mm Mag rounds. Loading just for that rifle was sufficient until.............Africa happened and at the same time the boys started growing up.

Now I load for .308Win, 7x57, 7mm Mag, .300Win Mag, .30-06, .300H&H, .375H&H and my .458B&M. Oh yeah, no doubt I've "saved" a lot of money. But I'll take this hobby over golf anytime.

I started reloading to save money and to tailor a load to my rifle.
I have loaded for handguns and shotgun.

I love to reload( hate trimming cases though) I load for 223, 270, 308, 338, 375, 416, 458, 10mm, 44mag, 454casull, 45colt and 500 S&W. It keeps me busy, when I don't have anything to do I have something to do. When I was a young kid I could not wait to hunt, fish and reload my own ammo. It's a shame the world is the way it is now with all the anti-gunnersand kids just want to sit on the couch playing video games and all the dope and drugs. Didn't have all that BS when I was a young man

I started as a kid so I could shoot more. I was raised on a ranch and hunted most days. Still do load to shoot more plus now I like finding the best loads with different bullets for each of my firearms. I only load hunting type bullets as I am a hunter and I load for best speed with accuracy.

I started to save money with handgun because you never shoot less than 100 per outing but I reload rifle for accuracy.

Just like many, started reloading early because my father reloaded. It was just a natural progression for me. Been reloading on my own for 35+ years now, and I reload everything (pistol, rifle and shotgun). I reload for the enjoyment and I can ALWAYS get a load better than any mass produced factory loads, also for cost. For the life of me, I cannot understand why a box of 410 (1/2 oz) shell cost almost twice as much as a box of 12 ga (1 1/8 oz).
Started with an RCBS Rock Chucker for metallic and I still have the same loader. Have MEC for shotshell (12, 20, 28 and 410 -- I shoot a lot of skeet). My reloading covers 22-250, 223, 243, 25-06, 6.5 Creedmore, 264 Win Mag, 270, 308, 30 REM AR, 30-06, 300RUM, 338, 375 H&H, 9MM, 40 SW, 45 ACP, 357 Mag, 38. And I have shot most of my animals with reloads.

My dad started me in on it when I was around 14 or so. We hunted deer together and shot when we could, when he was around. He was gone at sea a lot when we were growing up. Its still a favorite hobby nearly 50 years later.

I started reloading back in the day when speed meant everything. I was loading a .44 mag up to 1700fps with a 180 grain bullet, not to mention what I was doing with a .357 mag. I also had a friend that had a very low serial number Ruger Blackhawk in .45 LC and he wanted some ass kicking loads which we put together. I then got tired of the recoil of the rounds that I was shooting and figured out that you didn't need a .44mag at 1700fps to have fun shooting. I also got into a couple of wildcat rounds such as the .30 and .357 Herrett rounds which are based on a .30-30 case and if you wanted to shoot them you had to reload.

I then branched out and started to reload for my hunting rifles and all of my friends along with my own firearms it kept me busy during the winter months when I wasn't hunting. Even today I put together a couple dozen rounds for my .25-06 which I plan on taking on a deer hunt this coming fall. I just need for the snow to melt and the mud to go away so that I can get to my shooting range and check the loads out and see if they are what I want or not.

I also quit purchasing powder in 1 lb cans a very long time ago. I quickly realized that once I found a powder that I liked that I should just purchase whatever size large jug that it came in. Both to save a little money and to have it on hand through different administrations that are not firearm friendly. I also purchase my primers in 10,000 lots for the same reason. My only problem now is that most of my brass is showing its age and brass right now is fetching a good price if you can find what you need.

Have been reloading rifles since I bought my first center fire rifle. I have never shot a big game animal with a factory load.

I bought a Springfield o3 in 30-06 ackley improved when I was 19 or 20. It came with dies and the only way at the time to get ammo for it was to form fire the brass and hand load.

Actually to be honest I don't know why I started. Too long ago. I think it may have been because I volunteered in a gun store (wanted to learn about guns, etc hence the volunteer part, plus it was cool!). I would hear all the different stories about various aspects of the shooting game. I had several centrefire and rimfire rifles and would buy factory ammo for them. I think somebody said something about it was cheaper to reload. This made me curious as to what was involved. Somewhere in there I think we moved from Canada to the US. I think my dad bought me an RCBS "O" press which I still have and use after 30+ years (details are starting to get a bit "sketchy" now that years are starting to fly by). On my third or fourth stint in the US I got my FFL and bought things at wholesale (never did sell anything as that wasn't the plan). One of the items I bought was a Hornady Projector press. Still have it after 25+yrs.
I now reload for everything I have because when you shoot stuff; especially calibres that are required for Africa DG, it generally saves you money.
If your a weekend hunter that goes to the range fires a couple of rounds that generally hit the paper at 100yds it may not be to your advantage. If you shoot a considerable amount it does present cost savings IMO.
I gave up trying to reload for .22 rimfire as I found it difficult to hammer out the firing pin mark out of the rim of the case.............................wait for it............................DOH!

I started loading shotgun shells when i was a skeet shooter. Then my kids got into service rifle comp. then I became the state coach and had to load 30,000 rds of 223 every year my youngest moved up to Palma and the USA young eagles so had to go from the dillon to hand loading weighting every rd. Now i'm just down to my hunting stuff and plinking and helping out when he needs help.

I started for the same reason as you did, shoot more spend less... But if i look at all the cash i spend on reloading equipment and toys i think I'm on the break even path here.
I must say that it is allot cheaper to reload anything above .375 calibre than buying in South Africa.
Another reason is accuracy! my accuracy on all my rifles are better than with factory ammunition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber