Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
So in few days I leave Southern British Colombia for the North. I'm lucky enough to have wrangled a 'job' of sorts, cooking, assistant cooking and some guiding with http://go2mk.ca/expedition an adventure company run by an old friend from school. We shared many interests including hunting, trapping and adventuring. His interests lead him into the mountains with horses, mine took me into technical climbing. But now I'm about to get some blisters on my butt! I drive to Muncho Lake, then fly 1 hour Southwest via float plane, to Mayfield Lake 'base-camp', in the heart of true wilderness. From there we will conduct spike camps on horses. I will be bringing along my trusty 35 Whelen, as there is a very healthy population of grizzlies in these parts... No hunting, but we better have protection.
I am not out till near the end of August, but I will certainly post some photos then.
1657056057063.png
1657056121201.png

Sounds like a great way to spend the summer. Enjoy!

Also, the ram in the front is getting on with some good curl. A few more seasons…

Lots of work but I am still jealous-enjoy your summer adventure!

You are about to find out how late you will stay up and how early you will rise compared to clients! Elk cook may have been one of my harder life experiences, since I tried to hunt at the same time.

I had a guy make a rifle scabbard for this trip. Saddle leather, great workmanship, (or is it workpersonship now:) Very quick turnaround and $300 Canadian. ($230 US). PM For contact info.

20220701_083557.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh @Bob Nelson 35Whelen I just know you are going to wonder, if not ask: what load did I use for the 35 Whelen? I went with Noslers load, but am using Barnes 225 gr. TSX pushed by 58 gr of 4064. In Noslers manual they list a velocity of 2805 fps, and it shoots well in this rifle. Sighted in for 100 yards. If I have to use it, shots will be close...

Beautiful Country. I always make a point of staying at Northern Rockies Lodge on Muncho Lake on my way through. Have a great season!!!

Heh @Bob Nelson 35Whelen I just know you are going to wonder, if not ask: what load did I use for the 35 Whelen? I went with Noslers load, but am using Barnes 225 gr. TSX pushed by 58 gr of 4064. In Noslers manual they list a velocity of 2805 fps, and it shoots well in this rifle. Sighted in for 100 yards. If I have to use it, shots will be close...
@Rick Cox.
Taint no flies on that load from up close to wat out yonder. Close enough to 4,000fpe of muzzle energy.
Bob

Stay safe & enjoy your adventure! Looking forward to seeing more photographs.

So in few days I leave Southern British Colombia for the North. I'm lucky enough to have wrangled a 'job' of sorts, cooking, assistant cooking and some guiding with http://go2mk.ca/expedition an adventure company run by an old friend from school. We shared many interests including hunting, trapping and adventuring. His interests lead him into the mountains with horses, mine took me into technical climbing. But now I'm about to get some blisters on my butt! I drive to Muncho Lake, then fly 1 hour Southwest via float plane, to Mayfield Lake 'base-camp', in the heart of true wilderness. From there we will conduct spike camps on horses. I will be bringing along my trusty 35 Whelen, as there is a very healthy population of grizzlies in these parts... No hunting, but we better have protection.
I am not out till near the end of August, but I will certainly post some photos then.
View attachment 474928
in the wilderness you have to know how to help yourself.
Send mass on pics please
Elche.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg