Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
If any of you reloaders own one of these, I'd like to share with you a friend's experience today. Not sure exactly what prompted him to check this, but he found out today that his scale was measuring off and by 11 grains. Fortunately it was reading 11 grains higher than what was actually being weighed. This could have been disastrous had it been measuring lower than actual.

Yes he did calibrate using the 50 gram check weights. But the 50/100 gram calibration is a lot more weight than say 50-70 grains. So if you own one of these or for that matter any electronic scale, drop one of your bullets that you're planning on loading in the pan once in awhile to ensure things seem appropriate. I know I put a 180gr bullet in my RCBS tonight and was thankful to see it came in at 179.7 grains.

I would like to think this is a one off occurence, but obviously I can't confirm this.

A very valuable lesson to always check quality control.................

Yup it's SOP in my reloading room before I start and every 20 th charge thrown and when I'm done I check it.

I have never fully trusted any of my scales weather they are electronic or a beam scale. I have also always done as you said on my electronic ones and placed a bullet of a know weight onto the scale every now and then.

I don't know how reloaders that use the electronic scale and automatic powder dispenser even live with themselves knowing that a scale could be off enough to cause problems. No matter if it is a heavy load or a light load, you can get into problems with each.

Even when I am using a powder dispenser I will check the weight about every 10 loads to make sure that it is accurate.

I use an RCBS, I check it every time I turn it on and have no trust issues with it, the LED readout and the amount of powder dispensed are my failsafes

Always double check with a different scale! Its easier to check the loads twice than to try and piece together a broken rifle!

Always double check with a different scale! Its easier to check the loads twice than to try and piece together a broken rifle!
Or a broken face! Pretty scary stuff. I've always wanted a electronic scale but haven't bought one yet. One day I will get one and I'm glad you shared this because when the day comes I will certainly check it often. Good info!

I use a RCBS Chargemaster. After calibrating it with 0, 50, 100g weight I double check it with a bullet closest to the charge I will be dispensing. It is always spot on and no nasty surprises.

What is it about a digital readout that leads people to abandon caution?

I was paranoid before with my beam scale, this just adds to the caution I'll be exercising.

Good reminder.

I use a RCBS Chargemaster. After calibrating it with 0, 50, 100g weight I double check it with a bullet closest to the charge I will be dispensing. It is always spot on and no nasty surprises.

What is it about a digital readout that leads people to abandon caution?
It's just like the internet, if thats what it reads it must be true

Reactions: lcq
A electronic scale is a very handy part of reloading but can be a bugger if it wants to. I reload with a RCBS chargemaster and RCBS partner. My rules I follow: no cellphone near the scale, dust the scale off due to static build up, never any windows or wind drag through a room, always reload at certain times during the day due to temp changes. Recalibrate every 10th load!

My best

A electronic scale is a very handy part of reloading but can be a bugger if it wants to. I reload with a RCBS chargemaster and RCBS partner. My rules I follow: no cellphone near the scale, dust the scale off due to static build up, never any windows or wind drag through a room, always reload at certain times during the day due to temp changes. Recalibrate every 10th load!

My best
I like my RCBS saves me a lot of time

My best

I like my chargemaster it is very stable. I check it once every 20 loads but only cal between powder changes

I like my chargemaster it is very stable. I check it once every 20 loads but only cal between powder changes
You right on the money,,I messed with scales and a RCBS manual powder dispenser and I was constantly F---king with it The electronic one is faster and more accurate

Reactions: lcq
My experience, digital scales, unless that are lab quality, are crap. Even a cheap Lee has better R&R then a digital. Don''t trust any scale unless you've done this: http://www.muelaner.com/quality-assurance/gage-r-and-r-excel/

we are talking 0.1grain = 6.5 mg. Lab scales are way better but +/- 6.5mg is relatively easy particularly with a limited weighing range. If they were really bad the companies would have been sued out of business long ago. A $4000 analytical balance at 0.01mg and 120gram is overkill for reloading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieHowe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.