Hornady DGX Bonded

Haven’t tested the DGS much, though. Intend to, this summer.

In my opinion the DGS has gotten a bad reputation due to the fact that it behaves in an unconventional manner. People love to see pretty mushrooms and 100% weight retention. Anything less is considered a failure. Some bullets weren’t designed that way, though, and the DGS is but one example (the much loved Partition another, in that it will frequently shed nearly half its weight).

I"ll concur with Ridgewalker. My top top five (5) in this order are:
1. A-frame
2. Federal trophy bonded
3. TSX
4. Northfolk bonded
4. Nosler partition
Had great luck with 200 gr Trophy Bonded in my 300WM. Killed a nice Cape Kudu at about 400 meters with one. Stopped Wildebeest and Oryx in their tracks with it.

Reactions: IvW
Haven’t tested the DGS much, though. Intend to, this summer.

In my opinion the DGS has gotten a bad reputation due to the fact that it behaves in an unconventional manner. People love to see pretty mushrooms and 100% weight retention. Anything less is considered a failure. Some bullets weren’t designed that way, though, and the DGS is but one example (the much loved Partition another, in that it will frequently shed nearly half its weight).
Not a big fan of Partition, wouldn't recommend for Africa on bigger plains game.

Not a big fan of Partition, wouldn't recommend for Africa on bigger plains game.

Different strokes for different folks. Ive had a Kudu, Zebra, Blue Wildbeest, Waterbuck, and Gemsbok (and quite a few smaller pg)all drop in their tracks with a 180 gr. NP 300WM.

As for the Hornady DGS and DGX...dont need to agree on bullet performance but I'm sure we can all agree for the price they are at least great to practice with while working thru a new rifle/action, especially a magnum action, and using the brass for reloading after.

Funny I have killed a very large number of animals in Africa and North America all with partitions. Big majority were one shot kills.

Ok that’s when you heard about it. That doesn’t change what I heard or when I heard it or the explanation given at the time. What I have offered in the thread is done so in good faith.

I’m glad you sell Hornady ammo sir. Despite detractors many people buy the ammunition and use same for many purposes. As noted in this thread there are a few of us who have been successful on DG hunts with the DGS rounds and I have also used the DGX rounds without problem.
Most all of the DG ammo in Hornady that I sell is used for practice. But a lot of the locals use the Hornady ammo for Deer. I am particularly interested in the new ELD X bullet. I have found it very accurate but have not had a chance to try it on game but reports look good.

Opinions opinions....here’s one fact that seems irrefutable, Swift A frames work every time period. And really kills them very dead. I’m no authority on bullets but for me I will only use them on my next DG hunt backed up by Northfork solids. They were devastating on the buff in my avitar. I’ll bet you can’t get @gizmo to ever use them again. His results were horrendous.

Opinions opinions....here’s one fact that seems irrefutable, Swift A frames work every time period. And really kills them very dead. I’m no authority on bullets but for me I will only use them on my next DG hunt backed up by Northfork solids. They were devastating on the buff in my avitar. I’ll bet you can’t get @gizmo to ever use them again. His results were horrendous.
So that fact is irrefutable.

Yes sir they seem to have one of the best reputations for performance.
I have always said the NP may not be the best bullet for every situation but it is the best for any situation! I think one of the reasons we see such good results and good reports on the A Frame is 1.. they are being used for more specific situations ie: specific animal in certain conditions. 2. The hunters using them are more discerning than the average Joe.
I think one thing that quite often gets blurred in a topic like this is as the Hunter we are trying to cause the most damage to provide the quickest demise to the animal we are shooting versus the PH who requires a bullet that will stop a DG or Apex predator charge before seriously injuring or killing the client. Two completely different things. If I were a PH I would not be using NP's .
That's my 2 cents worth or in Cdn $.0125.

So I’m likely going to raise some eyebrows here- using my .308 Browning X-Bolt, I’ve dropped zebra, black and blue wildebeest, warthog, impala, blesbok, greater kudu and gemsbok in their tracks (1 shot- 1 kill and all over 100 yards) with FUSION 165 grain!!!!!! Crazy right??? Who would think cheap ammo would actually get the job done?!?

In DG, I use Hornady 270grain and the Cape Buffalo didn’t walk one step (using CZ 550 African Safari magnum in .375 H&H).

All comes down to different strokes for different folks. As said soooooo many times before, it’s ALL about proper shot placement!!!!! Period!!!!

Try different ammo but ultimately, use what your rifle seems to prefer. My .308 hates Nodler, but my .300 WSM has devastating results with the partitions.

IMO- we get too bogged down with these ammo threads on here and lose sight of the ultimate goal- bringing down the game we are after safely and ethically....

BTW- my .308 and Fusion 165 grains will be going with me next month back to Serapa Safaris

Never is a very strong word but.... I can say with absolute certainty that I will NEVER use that garbage on anything that can bite Back again. I use it for practice or to kill the occasional hog but that’s about it.

Never is a very strong word but.... I can say with absolute certainty that I will NEVER use that garbage on anything that can bite Back again. I use it for practice or to kill the occasional hog but that’s about it.
I assume there is a story??

Yessir, it’s on here about eleventy dozen times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg