Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI Nordic Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Anyone of you guys that have used the Hornady DGX Bonded Bullett, and can tell how they works?

Hallgeir, haven’t touched them myself. After all the issues with the previous iteration, I’ve moved on to Swift A-frames, NorthFork and Barnes. They all work without risk of losing a trophy IMO (assuming I do my part).
That being said, I do still use the DGS for smaller antelope/game. It has worked in my situations.

Hopefully someone here has risked trying them. I know CAustin even had good luck with the old DGX non-bonded.

I"ll concur with Ridgewalker. My top top five (5) in this order are:
1. A-frame
2. Federal trophy bonded
3. TSX
4. Northfolk bonded
4. Nosler partition

I"ll concur with Ridgewalker. My top top five (5) in this order are:
1. A-frame
2. Federal trophy bonded
3. TSX
4. Northfolk bonded
4. Nosler partition
I also have the A-Frame as number 1, next on my list are Woodleigh Trophy Bonded Bear claw and TSX

I can't imagine that they are any worse than woodleigh weldcores, which are very good bullets. They should theorectically be better if they have figured out the ratio of expansion to velocity for the given bullet to get optimal performance. The steel jacket should hold the bullet together and the bonding should as well. I have heard that their Steel they were using wasn't terribly ductile either nad tended to fracture rather than fold back. Honestly, I haven't tried them as I have hundreds of Weldcores with no fear of running out anytime soon. The downside is, for the price, you aren't that far from just getting A-Frames or Weldcores. I would think a bonded DGS could be fantastic for Ele hunters though. Flat nose, lead core and steel jacket should penetrate straight and not take up too much room in the case. Here is a video testing them in what appears to be a .416 Rigby. Dr. Kevin Robertson is commenting on them and seems to at least believe that they work sufficiently.. Although I wouldn't presume to speak for him.

Last edited:
Thanks ChrisG! I hadn’t seen this.

Old school technology and unfortunately not consistent enough for DG hunting(from a PH perspective anyway). Many much better options available.

1410994480-DGX-Bonded-bullet-cutaway-illustration.2be2798a.png

DGX although bonded, Jacket is still very thin to the front. Having a steel jacket does not help the bonding. No further control of expansion. Copper,steel,copper and then lead core, they would have been better off with a complete thick copper jacket only.

1410991117-DGS-bullet-illustration---cutaway.2e2e0442.png

DGS no evidence of being bonded, crimped at the back to try and keep it together. Will rivet and mushroom at higher velocities when hitting heavy bone.

A meplat brass solid is a much better bullet to use, especially for elephant.

Attachments

• 1410994480-DGX-Bonded-bullet-cutaway-illustration.2be2798a.png
    1410994480-DGX-Bonded-bullet-cutaway-illustration.2be2798a.png
    149 KB · Views: 310
  • 1410991117-DGS-bullet-illustration---cutaway.2e2e0442.png
    1410991117-DGS-bullet-illustration---cutaway.2e2e0442.png
    149 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: cal
8B3ACFEE-1FFA-4821-9DDD-4F345C90236C.jpeg
4EA73185-5E74-4739-9E98-8D3D53B64B9B.jpeg
0B8DBB35-85F8-46DD-B7EF-CA10C7DEFEE7.jpeg
Dead ELEPHANT, recovered Hornady DGS ( not mushroomed), passed through elephant skull from right side to just under skin on left side of head....bottom picture. That exit hole is bigger than an old silver dollar.
So at what speed should one expect that this bullet would fail to perform?
Dead Right There, Grave Yard dead, Buzzard Meat, The Fat Lady Sang......the bullet did as advertised.
I’m happy with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 233039 View attachment 233040 View attachment 233041 Dead ELEPHANT, recovered Hornady DGS ( not mushroomed), passed through elephant skull from right side to just under skin on left side of head....bottom picture. That exit hole is bigger than an old silver dollar.
Dead Right There, Grave Yard dead, Buzzard Meat, The Fat Lady Sang......the bullet did as advertised.
I’m happy with them.
Charlie, would you send that bullet to me so I can reload it? :D
Sorry. Couldn’t resist being a smart butt!

I have some on order for the 416 rigby twin pipe. After seeing the video with the Dr I felt that Hornady have got it sorted

Charlie, would you send that bullet to me so I can reload it? :D
Sorry. Couldn’t resist being a smart butt!

You are not the first person to look at the picture and suggest that it could be reloaded! Lol

View attachment 233039 View attachment 233040 View attachment 233041 Dead ELEPHANT, recovered Hornady DGS ( not mushroomed), passed through elephant skull from right side to just under skin on left side of head....bottom picture. That exit hole is bigger than an old silver dollar.
I’m happy with them.

Charlie,

It's hard to quite get oriented with the ele skull from that pic so I'm a little confused. The exit hole, where is that in relation to the brain?

I’m happy with them.

Great and a nice elephant too.

One shot and one bullet recovered don't really say much except that this time it worked. Had that been a solid brass bullet with a meplat you would not have recovered the bullet.

To be quite honest the recovered bullet does not look symmetrical, maybe it is just the way the photo has been taken.

Either way does not make a difference, you found a bullet you like that's great, they don't work for me or the calibers I use and I cannot recommend them, especially for back up on DG, there are many better bullets for that.

Monometal(brass) solids(Rhino, Barnes etc.), have higher sectional density than conventional leadcore(Woodleigh, Hornady) jacketed solids. This results in better straight line penetration.

The solid brass bullets, if designed with a meplat or even a cup point, they penetrate and smash through bone in a straight line much more reliably than a conventional round nosed bullet, which is more prone to deflection.

They also have two cutting edges that further aid in smashing through bone in a straight line, one at the tip and one at the first ring.

Mushrooming and riveting are almost non existent with solid brass designs.

Brass makes a better solid than copper.

dgs1-jpg.191956

dgs2-jpg.191957

dgs3-jpg.191958

dgs4-jpg.191959

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/why-avoid-hornady-dg-bullets-and-ammunition.39124/page-11

Attachments

• DGS4.jpg
    DGS4.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 342
  • DGS3.jpg
    DGS3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 336
  • DGS2.jpg
    DGS2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 329
  • DGS1.jpg
    DGS1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
As for the DGX design, they tend to sheer off at the crimping cannelure. Thus reducing the weight of the remaining bullet which seriously affects the performance of the bullet. The higher the velocity the bigger the issue(eg. 375 H&H).

An expanding bullet designed for DG hunting , should retain maximum bullet weight(stay together), expand to 2 or 2.5 times caliber diameter and penetrate in a straight line. Sadly the DGX fails to do this.

Charlie,

It's hard to quite get oriented with the ele skull from that pic so I'm a little confused. The exit hole, where is that in relation to the brain?

Right behind the eyes And in front of the ear hole!

And yes @IvW the recovered bullet is slightly distorted. It’s nit perfect. As I don’t shoot elephants every day I just have the one that was recovered.

114A6658-2E84-48A6-976A-353A047A5452.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot 8 elephant (7 tuskless) with dgs bullets (500NE) and cannot complain about that bullet.

Let me get this straight sir. You are saying that you used Hornady DGS ammo, like I did, eight times and in each case the elephant DIED!
Amazing.
And did you give a rip what the round looked like upon recovery or were you just concerned with the animal taking it’s last breath? :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:(y)
Maybe you didn’t recover the bullets or maybe they passed through the animal.

I shot 8 elephant (7 tuskless) with dgs bullets (500NE) and cannot complain about that bullet.

@ 500 NE velocities anything would be ok, try the same bullet in a 500 Jeff @ 2350 or in 375 H&H @ 2530 fps or in a 416 Rigby @ 2400 and see if you get the same results.

Tuskless cows have much smaller heads than bulls. Side brain shots are easier on bullets than full frontals.

In a double rifle Woodleighs are probably the best compromise, 1. not to damage the rifle, 2. to give acceptable performance.

Anyone of you guys that have used the Hornady DGX Bonded Bullett, and can tell how they works?
Oops! I guess no one has tried the bonded version yet. They’re still really new and I personally haven’t seen any for sale.
Sorry. I guess this thread got a little miss guided on my part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross