Hodgdon powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by buffybr, Sep 16, 2014.

1. buffybr

buffybr AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF, Life member NRA and Manhatten (Montana) Wildlife Association
    Hunted:
    USA(CO,MT,WY,AK,TX), Canada(NWT,Saskatchewan,Quebec), Zimbabwe(Matetsi), RSA(Limpopo,KZN,Free State,Eastern Cape), New Zealand, Mozambique, Azerbaijan
    I stopped by our local Murdocks yesterday and was happy to see that they had a fair supply of powders.

They limit you to 2 cans of powder, so I picked up a can of Titewad and a can of H4831SC.

It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that the Net Weight of powder in each can was only 14 oz!

The cans are the same size as the ones that they sold for years filled with 1 lb of powder.

So is this Hodgdon's answer to the powder shortage? Pack less product into the same size can then raise the price. In other words, screw the consumer every way that you can.

Velo Dog likes this.

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    What does it say on the can? 16oz/1lb or 14oz? If it says 16oz/1lb, then what they're doing is in fact illegal if its intentional. I'm sure they have a automated system for filling and weighing the amounts, and as such things can happen in the factory. Or maybe your store is pulling some shenanigans out back?

3. brushmore

brushmore AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    South Africa
    The cans are 14 oz. They must have got the idea from the grocery store.

4. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Just one more way, hunters are getting screwed.:mad:

5. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    It's not just hunters/shooters....check out the packages in the grocery stores; you'll find that while the packages may be the same size, there is less product on the inside. A prime example are potato chips......open up a large bag and you'll see that they've "puffed up" the bag with air to make it appear "fuller" in the store. However, the weight is less than what it used to be. If you measure some containers, you'll find them to be slightly smaller (with resulting smaller contents), yet the price doesn't go down......it's all done to make the consumer think that they are getting value, when in reality, they arent.
    Want another shock .....check and see where all those "American" powders are now made; IIRC, hogdon is now made in Australia & IMR powders are now being made in Canada. Nothing against Canadians or Aussies, but the company (hodgdon) has USA in big letters on the can (packaged in the USA), and the original country of manufacture in much smaller letters......again, not illegal packaging, but somewhat deceptive. Couple this with the fact that Hodgdon has seen fit to eliminate 3 great powders (PB, SR4756, and SR 7625...all to promote their "newer" powders, such as Longshot, which, IMHO, aren't nearly as good or versatile), and I am currently exploring other options. I've bought some Reloader 19 and some AA2700, and I am planning on trying some Reloader 22 when I find some.
    I know this is now standard "practice" for just about all manufacturing companies, but I will show my displeasure by voting with my billfold (and I'm sure that Hodgdon doesn't give a rat's arse!)

6. Roseman

Roseman AH Member

I'm confused. The powders are being advertized as 1 pound containers on web sites such as Precision Reloading.
    Oh, I see on page 5 some are 14 oz.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014