Hippo chasing speedboat!

I ran over a car in my duck boat while going down a neighborhood street in Nashville back in 2010. Normally, I would have gone right over it but I had eight people in the boat. That was an adventurous day.
 
Unbelievable speed !!
 
I ran over a car in my duck boat while going down a neighborhood street in Nashville back in 2010. Normally, I would have gone right over it but I had eight people in the boat. That was an adventurous day.

theres go to be a tale ,that comes along with this one ?????
 
theres go to be a tale ,that comes along with this one ?????

Bluey sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. You are right there is a story.

May 1st & 2nd 2010 in Nashville, TN it was supposed to be a rainy weekend. The biggest problem was was to be where to take senior prom pictures. It got a lot bigger. Here is a link that tells the story in more detail.

http://www.tennessee.gov/tsla/exhibits/disasters/floods2.htm

Saturday about 1pm the local news put out an all call by the fire department that anybody with boats was needed to pick up people stranded in their homes by the rising water. The news posted several launch points. I recognized that I could get to one of those launch point with the duck boat. I have an 18foot aluminum tunnel hull boat with a 60hp 4 stroke mercury motor. It can go pretty good in about 12 inches of water. The boys and I hooked up the boat grabbed life jackets and headed to where US HWY100 crosses the Harpeth River. By the time we got to the launch point there were 10 boats waiting to launch and we did a u-turn on the highway and backed down into the water. The story is about how Middle Tennessee and its people pulled together and saved themselves. This is in stark contrast to other natural disasters that have struck the US.

We spent the whole afternoon motoring through neighborhoods picking up people form their homes. Now I have maneuvered boats on rivers and lakes but there was a steep learning curve on running a boat down a street. That ripple was either a mailbox or a car. Our first trip back to the landing we had 8 people on board one of which went about 450lbs. I was going back down a street I had just traveled on and hit a car that I had missed previously. Needless to say we rocked the boat and came pretty close to rolling it far enough that we almost swamped the boat.

Again, it was amazing how the people of Middle TN came together and pulled themselves out of a natural disaster over the next year.
 
new type of fishing: dangerous game fishing. move over sharks we are fishing for hippo!

what sort of rod/reel and line would one need to go hippo fishing?

-matt

Well, it shouldnt be the spin casting rod i was using. I would recommend a Warne winch!!! :A Rock:
 
That was on the Chobe River in Botswana. I know that particular guide quite well, he works for our "sister"safari company. He told me that boat has a 80HP Yamaha engine on and he was going full throttle! :E Horrified:
 
Well, it shouldnt be the spin casting rod i was using. I would recommend a Warne winch!!! :A Rock:

You're going to need a bigger boat!
 
do you think that bull would beat Michael Phelps?????
 
Wow! That was the kind of dreams I was having at night after spending a few days on the Zambezi in a 16' boat chasing these guys around. Who said "hunting hippo's on land was the only sporting way" to do it??????? o_O LOL
 
I regretted not going out on Lake Jozinin while in KZN to look at hippos .............. until I saw this clip.:eek: Truthfully, even with hippos in the water & black mambas on the land, I still can't wait to go back.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,341
Messages
1,573,337
Members
169,737
Latest member
bongamodels
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top