I have had a couple over my trips to africa. Some went exactly as planned others not so much. My 3rd trip provided the most surprises. I was surprised at how far we had to drive for a black Wilderbeast. 5 hrs each way, 2 days in a row...... I was surprised that after almost a year the PH hadn't taken my animals to a dip and pack company. I have been pleasantly surprised at how nice the facilities are. I have been surprised at how good the food is generally. I was also surprised at almost everyone coming down with food poisoning from some blood sausage(including PH's). I am almost always surprised at how many animals and how many different species that you see. Going on a safari is full of surprises. Bruce

of our 5 trips the only surprise we got was when we got home from Zimbabwe our resident frog that kept us company in our room came home with us in my carry on bag,poor guy didnt make it though,we gave him a proper burial in our garden.everything else was as promised.

I was given shirts by an outfitter, then had them put on the bill that I received after I got back. :rolleyes:

A very expensive $7 for someone as I recall:)

I was given shirts by an outfitter, then had them put on the bill that I received after I got back. :rolleyes:

Funny I had the opposite happen to me. The outfitter had fleece jackets in the dining room and we all picked out our size and asked that they be added to our bill. When we were settling our accounts we all pointed out the absence of the jackets on the bill and the response was priceless, "when a man comes to hunt with us the least we can do is buy him a beer and give him a token sweater".

of our 5 trips the only surprise we got was when we got home from Zimbabwe our resident frog that kept us company in our room came home with us in my carry on bag,poor guy didnt make it though,we gave him a proper burial in our garden.everything else was as promised.

Good thing he didn't decide to make an appearance at Customs or TSA... might have had a bit of 'splaining to do..

Say what? I've been give hats, shirts, a nice jacket, wood carvings, flat skins and other souvenirs to take home. Always gratis.

Say what? I've been give hats, shirts, a nice jacket, wood carvings, flat skins and other souvenirs to take home. Always gratis.

Read a couple of hunt reports/threads posted a while back and you can see it all for yourself.

Read a couple of hunt reports/threads posted a while back and you can see it all for yourself.

A little confused here. Do you mean other outfitters do the same thing, i.e. add on an additional charge after the fact for what is assumed to be a "gift" and without prior notice that the hunter will be charged for said "gift"?

A little confused here. Do you mean other outfitters do the same thing, i.e. add on an additional charge after the fact for what is assumed to be a "gift" and without prior notice that the hunter will be charged for said "gift"?

Just this special case for Royal. Do a search, you'll find it.

Oh I remember the 7 dollar hat. That did turn into quite a discussion.

I don't think I have had any hidden costs, just that in Some they charged me 2 dollars to store my ammo since my rifle was coming in on the next flight. Not sure you can plan for that.

Probably the biggest hidden cost is you start planning for your next safari before you leave the country.

The good and the bad. Some related to costs. Some just surprises:

1. Invoice by snail mail (after all was paid) from a shipping company claiming an unforeseen increase in airline fees.
2. Tomato Toasties are awesome.
3. Rooibos tea is now my favorite. I still drink the imported RSA Freshpak.
4. Eland Liver was good. I hate liver. I never got a steak or tenderloin from my Eland.
5. Oxtail stew was excellent.
6. Taxidermist was going to charge more to tan a hide to leather than it would cost at home. (He lost 8 safaris from that greed)
7. Kindness and generosity to strangers is rampant in Southern Africa. Being an invited guest repeatedly.
8. Treatment for TBF including the medications was so inexpensive and effective.
9. Waving at people walking on the rural roads surprises people. They know you are not local.
10. A child could not understand charity. Why would I give money to a blind man and not to him. He was honestly confused and thought I was nuts.
11. Loading your luggage into a van at OR Tambo is an adventure. You'll get all kinds of help to move your bag twelve inches, with the expectation of a payment.
12. Google Maps has plenty of absolutely USELESS errors in it. Trusting it in Southern Africa is an adventure. Waste of time.
13. Driving on the wrong (other) side of the road is not that big an adventure.
14. I live in a very very safe place. Barbed wire and electric fences not required.
15. Windhoek, Maun, Kasane, Lichinga, airports are tiny.
16. Klippies and Coke is not too bad. (Klipdrift Premium) Inexpensive.
17. Bringing along some fleece for sleeping without heat is required in the winter.
18. The geographic diversity within Southern Africa is incredible.
19. Creamsoda ala South Africa is a taste you will not soon forget.
20. PH school hurt my brain. 14 hour days studying.
21. Elephants can hide in plain sight.
22. Single pane glass makes for some pretty noisy windows.
23. Charging a hunting rate for a rest day.
24. airline routes, reservations and timing are a promise from a compulsive liar.
25. The more plane changes, the more likely your luggage will be on its own tour.
26. There is not a straight road in Johannesburg.
27. PH's feel a LOT of pressure.
28. SCI does not screen donors.
29. Burning grass is a National Sport in Africa. They actually have an African Games medal for it.
30. A rainstorm in the winter causes the animals in Africa to act just like animals do here when a snow blizzard is occurring.
31. Elephants bluff charge for entertainment. Elephants are bloody big when they are not in a Zoo.
32. People appreciate you understanding their country, language and history.
33. "Black Taxi's" are a bloody safety menace on the roads.
34. Townships "Locations" are quite the places to visit on a Friday night.
35. Adding a $500 dollar handling fee to each hunter because they were only doing D&P and not mounting the trophies or getting the profit from shipping.
36. Shipping company outright refusing/ignoring requests for a quote. (They were/are the only game in town.)

I could go on.

Oh ya,
:A Me You: This is a favorite game that gets played after all the shooting is done.
Outfitter, Taxidermist, Shipper, etc.

That is a great list @BRICKBURN ! More than just a couple I can relate to :)
#34 especially. While Leopard hunting 2 years ago in Limpopo SA we had to drive through the shit hole known as Marble Hall every morning on the way back to camp. The town was literally destroyed on Saturday morning. Bodies (still alive ?), trash, liquor bottles, beer bottles, cans, clothing, etc everywhere! We had to drive around a couple people passed out in the street. The party must have been epic! I have never seen anything like it. And I didn't take a picture!
Not a hidden cost, but definitely a surprise :D

Good thing he didn't decide to make an appearance at Customs or TSA... might have had a bit of 'splaining to do..
poor guy probably new that and held his breath so we wouldn't get in trouble.

Have been on two safaris with the same outfitter (White Lion Safaris). Everything about both hunts was discussed prior to booking and all expenses were specific in the contract and matched up perfectly on the final itemized bill. I am confident that there are other outfitters that are as upfront and honest as Ricus de Villiers at White Lion, but I doubt any are more so.

On my first trip I stayed one night in Johannesburg at Africa Sky Guest House. I had prepaid it before I left the US and no surprises came up at check out. They were very efficient with picking me up at the airport, had good food on arrival and a comfortable room.

Regarding taxidermy...I visited the taxidermist at the end of both hunts and was given the exact cost for the services performed. They also provided me with an estimate for transport to Johannesburg and shipment to the US...they were right on target. The only surprise I got was the fee charged by my importer (Coppersmith)...it was cheaper than I expected...so it was a pleasant surprise.

Just my 2 cents.

I've only been on one safari, but I didn't have any hidden costs either. Ricus De Villiers at White Lion Safaris was very open and clear about what all of the costs were associated with him. When the hunt was finished it was exactly what we discussed. I also didn't have any surprises with transporting etc due to doing lots of homework upfront and being clear with transport companies etc. I did pretty much stay with the number of animals I had planned to take so I am sure that those who go over what their original plan was may be surprised when it requires more dip/pack and bigger crates.

It just seems like that with the amount of information out there about costs etc you should be able to easily get within +/- 10% accuracy for an estimate. Now, if you have an outfitter that isn't honest that can obviously change things and if you cant stay off the trigger!! :)

Never had any hidden costs while hunting, but have had several dip & pack places and a couple shippers try to rip me off with crazy high prices. They threw the prices out I think just to test the water and see, probably many hunters are so eager to get their trophies they just pay it.

On my billing, none whatsoever. I asked questions and Will at Symbol Safaris was great about laying everything out. Day one they asked our sizes and wanted to know if we wanted a more traditional green button up shirt or a fleece plus quickly gave us each a hat (I ended up wearing the hat daily as I found it more comfortable than the one I brought along).

I agree with @BRICKBURN the RSA cream soda is taste to remember (I was actually craving one the other day). Mixed with rum to form a "Green Ambulance" it is even better.

Not to derail a fine conversation, but what have people been quoted for shipping? Five shoulder mounts (Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impala & Warthog) coming from Highveld.

I wouldn't call these surprises, but I've often wondered why VAT isn't collected during the phase leading up to the safari. I hate having to withdraw enough cash to cover all eventualities. Also, I'll never convert $USD to Rand in Atlanta again. Yes, I was that naïve. I'll convert $100 to cover "incentives" and small items (food, drinks).

That is a great list @BRICKBURN ! More than just a couple I can relate to :)
#34 especially. While Leopard hunting 2 years ago in Limpopo SA we had to drive through the shit hole known as Marble Hall every morning on the way back to camp. The town was literally destroyed on Saturday morning. Bodies (still alive ?), trash, liquor bottles, beer bottles, cans, clothing, etc everywhere! We had to drive around a couple people passed out in the street. The party must have been epic! I have never seen anything like it. And I didn't take a picture!
Not a hidden cost, but definitely a surprise :D

This is too funny. Last year, I went out to a bar just outside of Marble hall on a Friday night. The parking lot (if that's what it was) was an open area with gravel, trees all throughout. The bar was actually nice and had a great selection of drinks. Lots of young locals present as well.
I and my wife (we had just gotten engaged that day) wanted to go out and this was the 'best' local bar. The PH told us that before the end of the night, there would be multiple cars off the road just leaving the bar...and he was right. It was like watching a demolition derby. Must have seen 4 cars off the road and 1 into a tree before we left.

Sorry for the hijack, but couldn't pass up that story telling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.