kowasadventure.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
NAPHA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
1. What surprises did you (as a client) have regarding HIDDEN COSTS on your African safari...
2. Were you aware of these possible cost implications in advance?
3. What are your tips (advise) to others in this regard?

Last edited by a moderator:
We were very lucky- both of our outfitters @Limcroma Safaris and @Umlilo Safaris were very up front about pricing and there were no surprises. Everything was agreed and spelled out on contracts in advance. With Umlilo, I hunted two specific species at an agreed upon price. With Limcroma, I went in with a budget and just a general idea on what species we wanted to hunt. At the end of our hunt, Limcroma had brought us in at $100 under my total trophy budget, which was perfect.

I sometimes wonder about the outfitters that don't include alcohol in their pricing- not sure what they end up charging guests for their drinks.

I recommend negotiating everything in advance with your outfitter and then having them draw up a contract. If you haven't decided on specific trophies, get a price list for all of those you're interested in to go along with your contract in advance.

I don't believe I was ever surprised by the final cost of the safari. The prices (trophy fees) were agreed to with the outfitter before hand and were always correct. Now the first trip getting the trophies back had several surprises. The taxidermy cost was pretty straight foward, but the cost of the forwarding company and the U.S. Import company were a shock.

Have hunted Africa a dozen times perhaps and not had any suprises ........ but as I cull only except for Warthog the king of beasts ......

Have been supprised by the honesty of some of my safari companies ....got a days culling on a mixed sheep and goat farm for some blesbok ..when the final bill came in there was just a small flat fee for the day ...PH explaining he was doing a mate a favour ........

However get everything nailed down in writing

The drinks thing is weird ......asked once what moderation was ....drink less than I do was the answer ...

I however like Klipdrift .....yeah guys I am cheap ..... Lodges never do cheap so usually pick up a bottle of my own !!!!! Which has elicited some funny comments .....

The drinks thing is weird ......asked once what moderation was ....drink less than I do was the answer ...

Here's another answer.

FYI. :)

"(DHHS and USDA 1995).
Moderation is defined as no more than one drink per day for women
and no more than two drinks per day for men."

One definition in the literature.

Abstainer: drinks less than 0.01 fl
oz alcohol per day (i.e., fewer than
12 drinks in the past year)

Light drinker: drinks 0.01 to 0.21
fl oz alcohol per day (i.e., 1 to 13
drinks per month)

Moderate drinker: drinks 0.22 to
1.00 fl oz alcohol per day (i.e., 4 to
14 drinks per week)

Heavier drinker: drinks more than
1.00 fl oz alcohol per day (i.e.,
more than 2 drinks per day).

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh23-1/05-14.pdf

Have to agree with Erny. The hunt and taxidermy were all clear, but I too was shocked at the shipping and importer costs. I guess I won't be though on my second trip. Just hadn't budgeted for that the first trip.

Not Africa but had a New Zealand outfitter try to ad on a $1000 helicopter fee to camp for Tahr. They lost their right to drive across another property and had to start flying in the months between booking the hunt and me arriving. I politely said that it wasn't in the contract so I wasn't paying, and she dropped it.

About the only surprise I've ever had was when I was told about the cost of transporting my trophies to the airport. This was in addition to the shipping fees for the airline. It was only a couple hundred dollars so no big deal. Especially if you consider it was a six hour trip for him to Joburg.

Four times, same outfitter and everything on a handshake and all costs up front as quoted, nothing hidden and no surprises.

Shipping trophies back to the U.S. is another story.

Reactions: BWH
Have been on two safaris with the same outfitter (White Lion Safaris). Everything about both hunts was discussed prior to booking and all expenses were specific in the contract and matched up perfectly on the final itemized bill. I am confident that there are other outfitters that are as upfront and honest as Ricus de Villiers at White Lion, but I doubt any are more so.

On my first trip I stayed one night in Johannesburg at Africa Sky Guest House. I had prepaid it before I left the US and no surprises came up at check out. They were very efficient with picking me up at the airport, had good food on arrival and a comfortable room.

Regarding taxidermy...I visited the taxidermist at the end of both hunts and was given the exact cost for the services performed. They also provided me with an estimate for transport to Johannesburg and shipment to the US...they were right on target. The only surprise I got was the fee charged by my importer (Coppersmith)...it was cheaper than I expected...so it was a pleasant surprise.

Just my 2 cents.

I was given shirts by an outfitter, then had them put on the bill that I received after I got back. :rolleyes:

I assume the shirts you were given has the outfitters logo on them. Now you can send them a bill for advertising each time you wear them.

Yup. Logo on them for sure.

$7 per wearing sounds about right. :ROFLMAO:

Wear them around DSC and the AH dinner with the bill attached.....Then tell everyone that asks how you got them.

Wear them around DSC and the AH dinner with the bill attached.....Then tell everyone that asks how you got them.

I like that! The "gift" that keeps on giving.

I almost spit my drink. :A Big Hello:. :E Lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg