Hi from NSW, Australia

Hi AH
My name Matt and I’m from Central West NSW .
I have hunted since I was 15 and I mainly hunt pigs , foxes and fallow deer !
I did my first paid hunt this July, which was a buffalo hunt in NT for my 50th birthday and loved it !!
I always wanted to hunt Africa and I’m hoping to get there in 2023/24 and I’ve been visiting this site for a while and it’s a great source of info and some great hunt reports !!
Cheers Matt
@Matt 72
Where in the Central West at are you at, it's a big area. I'm originally from Wagga. We have a few new south Welshmen on this site.
Welcome aboard mate we are a mad mob full of information on a lot of topics.
What rifles do you have and please don't tell me a 243.
Bob

HI from QLD if you do not own a 243 Win you will need to get one ! you will understand why after being on this forum for a while :confused: welcome to the forum.
@rdog
Now play nicely mate. Don't you go inflicting inferior cartridges on a new member. A man of your age, skills and superior intelligence should know better. Maybe you could lend @Matt 72 your 350 rem mag or offer to build him a nice 25 souper.
Please refrain from using those 3 numbers in the future as I was drinking my coffee at the time and almost chocked on it when I read your recommendations.
Bob

Hi rdog
I have a 243 so looks like I will be fine
@Matt 72
Mate you have opened the flood gates. I hope you only use that horrible little cartridge for target practice as it is the most miserable and useless cartridge invented since sliced bread and button up boots. I have seen to much game wounded by it by good shots than I care to remember.
I do hope hope you have other calibers that you use instead of a 243.
Get a nice 25-06 and you will NEVER use a 243 again.
Another member @peter Who realised the error of his ways after losing 2 fallow deer that were chest shot with factory loaded Remington 100gn PPSP at around 70 yards. Both dropped but got up and ran off never to be seen again. His 243 is now up for sale and he is the proud owner of a nice left hand Remington 700 in 25-06.
Bob

Matt 72 we have a member from NSW. that has a strange dislike for the wonderful 243 & we take great delight in rubbing in how good it is with the right bullets. He bites like a shark ! i though i should explain that to you or you might think my comments were odd. You will most likely hear from old Bob he has for obsession for the 35 cal & 25 cal rifles.
@rdog
243 and wonderfully should never be used in the same sentence. The same as army intelligence are two word that don't go well in the same sentence. There ain't to much intelligence in the army.
Bob

@Matt 72
Where in the Central West at are you at, it's a big area. I'm originally from Wagga. We have a few new south Welshmen on this site.
Welcome aboard mate we are a mad mob full of information on a lot of topics.
What rifles do you have and please don't tell me a 243.
Bob
Hi Bob
Grew up in Cudal but now live on few acres just out of Orange!
My 243 is a Sako 85 but will soon be rebarrelled to a 22-250 AI fast twist !!!! That should make you feel better

Hi Bob
My 243 is a Sako 85 but will soon be rebarrelled to a 22-250 AI fast twist !!!! That should make you feel better
@Matt 72
You are in the same town as another member @Schade425.
Wise man pissing off that horrible little 243. A fast twist 22-250 AI will allow you to use its full potential.
What twist are you going for. 1 in 8 or slower.

Hi Bob
@Matt 72
You are lucky to have a brilliant gunsmith that is gifted in wood and metal. The only gunsmith I know that works on rifles, hanguns and Shotguns. He is only about an hour from you in Rylstone.
@Dr Ray will be happy to have another sako shooter on the forum. He is a sako tragic.
Bob

@Matt 72
You are in the same town as another member @Schade425.
Wise man pissing off that horrible little 243. A fast twist 22-250 AI will allow you to use its full potential.
What twist are you going for. 1 in 8 or slower.
Yes 1in 8 twist Maddco and will run 75grn for bit of long range fox shooting and 55grn for spotlighting!!!
I use Jim Kent from QLD he does great work and with quick turnaround and is really nice bloke to deal with!!

Hi AH
I did my first paid hunt this July, which was a buffalo hunt in NT for my 50th birthday and loved it !!
I always wanted to hunt Africa and I’m hoping to get there in 2023/24 and I’ve been visiting this site for a while and it’s a great source of info and some great hunt reports !!
Cheers Matt

I’m very late in doing so, but welcome to AH nonethless!

Yes 1in 8 twist Maddco and will run 75grn for bit of long range fox shooting and 55grn for spotlighting!!!
I use Jim Kent from QLD he does great work and with quick turnaround and is really nice bloke to deal with!!

1 in 8 would make it a great cartridge. I had an R8 barrel that was 1/14 twist and it really limited the gun's potential. I know a fella in Sydney who reckons that with heavy pills 22-250 is about perfect for Fallow. He shoots a few and hunting wise knows what he’s on about. My introduction to 22-250 was brutal. I was new to hunting, as in completely green, one of my very first times out. I saw a rabbit, the first rabbit I ever shot. It was one of the lighter, faster loads at a short range. I figured I’d shoot it for the pot. Well, shoot it I did, and once it stopped raining rabbit I knew rabbit stew was not gonna happen...

1 in 8 would make it a great cartridge. I had an R8 barrel that was 1/14 twist and it really limited the gun's potential. I know a fella in Sydney who reckons that with heavy pills 22-250 is about perfect for Fallow. He shoots a few and hunting wise knows what he’s on about. My introduction to 22-250 was brutal. I was new to hunting, as in completely green, one of my very first times out. I saw a rabbit, the first rabbit I ever shot. It was one of the lighter, faster loads at a short range. I figured I’d shoot it for the pot. Well, shoot it I did, and once it stopped raining rabbit I knew rabbit stew was not gonna happen...
@Opposite Pole
I had a Remington 788 in 22-250 may years ago. Loaded with the dumpy little Speer 70gn semi spitzer it was dynamite on pigs. That bullet was designed for the 22-250 by speer for use on whitetail deer. For reach out and expose things the speer 52gn was great. Head shots were a must on rabbits for the pot.
The old 788 was good for 0.25 inch groups after dad and I bedded it. Once it started grouping an inch I sold it off to a mate that said it was wonderfully accurate for culling roos.
Bob

Hi AH
Cheers Matt
Welcome to AH

Again, a welcome from another Aussie. Fast-twist 22.250s are unreal. Was running one for 1,000 yard comp, barrel has been retired after < 400 shots, with Hornady A-Max 80s, both going spare now, interest has changed.

Hi AH
Cheers Matt
Hi Matt,

Would be some good fox and feral cat out your way I'm sure.

If you are ever near the coast give me a call, we can grab a beer and talk wild unfenced Mozambique hunting options.
Throw in some Tiger fishing conversation too...
I'm based in Bangalow, NSW for the summer months.

Gav

Hi Matt,

If you are ever near the coast give me a call, we can grab a beer and talk wild unfenced Mozambique hunting options.

Gav
Hi Gav
If I’m down that way I will give you a call and catch up !!
Thanks for the offer
Cheers Matt

Hi Matt,

Gav
@PANTHER TRACKERS.
Gav you are only a couple of hours south of me.
Bob

@PANTHER TRACKERS.
Gav you are only a couple of hours south of me.
Bob
Hi Bob,

I see your handle is 35 Whelen, a good mate of mine recently purchased a rifle in that calibre for Sambar.
GREAT calibre!
He's in Southern NSW surrounded by champ Sambar area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross