Hey!

dustyvarmint

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
New user here - I have a bowhunting only trip planned for RSA this year. Currently scheduled for August, but may end up in June instead. Should know today.

Trying to gather a LOT of information. Seems like it is hard to gather everything in one place.

Got a warm welcome from Jerome last night and looking forward to participating and learning.:bighello:

happy hunting, dv

dustyvarmint,

Welcome aboard. I think you'll like this site too. I've been on here for a couple months now and really enjoy it.

nd

Welcome to AH dustyvarmint! I just have one thought for you about changing your dates from August to June, keep in mind that the World Cup Soccer is being played in South Africa June 10 through July 31, 2010. Before changing your dates I would check into flight availability and prices as I have heard they are higher than normal...

What species will you be bowhunting and who are you booked with?

Thanks Jerome,

WC - it is CRAZY!

Spent about 1.5 hours on the phone with Doug at Gracy Travel this morning. GREAT customer service. June looks to be out for me and I'm not even going to try July...

So, it looks like August or never.

I'm after gemsbok, wildebeest, blesbok (not white), warthog and kudu. Probably in that order. Gemsbok is what my bowhunting heart desires most. They are the most beautiful - except for those striped creatures on AH's opening page. Don't know enough to know what they are, but they are beautiful.

Will hold off on announcing the outfitter - we ran into a little pricing problem on the package (WC again) and are still trying work out the details.

happy hunting, dv

... Gemsbok are the most beautiful - except for those striped creatures on AH's opening page. Don't know enough to know what they are, but they are beautiful...

dv, Those striped creatures on the home page of the site are Bongo, there are very elusive forest antelope and this picture from PH Christophe Morio in C.A.R. is indeed exceptional and very special. Very few people have seen so many Bongo gathered together in one spot... Read Christophe's story World Record Bongo - Africa's Top Trophy by clicking here, there are many other pictures as well as video clips... I truly find this antelope to be spectacular...

You have a great trophy list for your hunt and I am glad that you have clear priorities as it makes the PH's job easier when the client knows what he wants... I am also fond of Gemsbok and have certainly hunted more of these than any other species.

watermark.php

Picture by Christophe Morio - Bongo at the salt lick in C.A.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, they are awesome creatures. I think a hunter would be looking at a minimum of 30,000$ for one of them. A little out of my price range,lol.

Welcome DustyVarmint! Great moniker BTW. I too love the Bongo, I mean seriously even their name is cool! I think I read here someone refer to their stripes like white icing, now I always think about that when I see a picture of them. I just think they are the most beautiful of all of the African antelopes but, yes, they are expensive. I've heard that to hunt them is quite an amazing experience though. My dream hunts just seem to be getting more and more expensive... I need to find myself a rich man, know any? Just kidding... sort of.

I don't suppose those guys play the drums, eh?:)

I don't know any rich men. Do you know any rich women?;)

happy hunting, dv

Over and above the world cup issues... if I were you and had dates set for a bow hunt in August I wouldn't think about trading them for dates in June. The later in the year the better for bow hunting - especially if you'll be hunting at waterholes.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Regards,

Welcome to the forum. Who will you be hunting with?

Chris,

Thanks for the intel - good to know stuff like that.

TOM,

We had a little snafu so I don't want to say just yet who I'm going with until the dust settles.

happy hunting, dv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross