TNDave

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, NWTF
Hunted
USA, RSA
I found a good deal on a Howa 1500, 300 Win Mag and decided to get it for a donor. Honestly it performs well and have even thought of using it for a foul weather rifle for hunting at home. In trying to decide on what I’d like to someday convert it to, here are a few of my thoughts in no certain order:
338 Win Mag
358 Norma
358 STA
8 mm Rem Mag
27 Nosler

I currently have the following rifle calibers:
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm-08
7mm rem mag
270 Win
300 Win mag
300 Weatherby
300 wsm
35 Whelen
375 Ruger
458 Lott

Now, knowing what I have, and being a little 30 caliber heavy, what niche am I missing, or are there others that I could build that I haven’t mentioned above? I’m not looking for anything in particular, I just like tinkering and building up my grandson’s inheritance. As always, I appreciate the advice on how to spend money!

I suggest the 338 Winchester magnum which will fit in nicely between the 300 and the 35.
Suggest the 225 grain bullet rather than the 250 grain bullet that has a higher energy level.
The 338 is fast as be good for medium size animals that require a lot of energy to stop.

Seems you have everything pretty much covered and over killed in 30 cal so yah why not fill in another micro niche! Enablers feel no guilt.:)

My first thoughts were 8 Rem Mag or 416 Rem Mag. Another niche filler would be 338 Win Mag. I have had an 8 Rem Mag and with good strong bullets it is a great caliber but overlooked. I have two 416 Rem Mags and cannot find a thing wrong with the red headed stepchild of the Rigby.

The only caveat I'd have is that I'm not familiar enough with the Howa to say if it would easily convert to full standard magnum length of 3.6". There is just enough difference between the 3.34" medium magnum length of the 300 Win Mag et al and the 3.6" standard magnum length of the 8 Rem Mag and 375 HH et al that I'd make sure about compatibility before jumping in. Maybe an easy fit - but I just dunno.

The only "gap" I see is a mild big bore.
Something between the 375 and 458.
416RM comes to mind as stated by @fourfive8.
Maybe you could modify the action to fit it.

To stay within the action length and same size bolt head...
Why not a 240WBY?
That would be my suggestion with 416RM second.

You’ve got a bunch of good ideas. Something a little out of the box; I’ve always been intrigued with the .338-06.

You’ve got a bunch of good ideas. Something a little out of the box; I’ve always been intrigued with the .338-06.
Good choice. The 35Whelen is better.

My 2¢, You have enough big guns that will kill anything on the planet. Save the Howa for what you opined and get a donor for a small caliber like .204 Ruger, 17 Fireball, 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet or one of the wildcats like 20 Vartarg or 20 Practical. Your armory is sorely lacking in that area.
e-big-grin.gif

On another note, the 27 Nosler is about a useless cartridge out there. The 28s and 30s of that stripe are a better choice.

The 338 is a good idea because you don't have one. And, you don't have a metric caliber, so the 8mm is good. Otherwise, I would suggest the 400 H&H as it has a lot of uses with 300gr TSX, or 350gr and 400gr A-Frames, it is unique and is a neat looking cartridge.

My 2¢, You have enough big guns that will kill anything on the planet. Save the Howa for what you opined and get a donor for a small caliber like .204 Ruger, 17 Fireball, 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet or one of the wildcats like 20 Vartarg or 20 Practical. Your armory is sorely lacking in that area. View attachment 375697
You didn't mention if you like to shoot varmints. If so, I'd go with Hogpatrol's suggestions or .22-250 Rem or 6mm Rem. (I have both and like them a lot.)

You seem to have a lot of calibers covered. My first thought would be the previously mentioned 416 Taylor. But any of the belted magnum 35’s would be a second choice. The bolt face is already opened up, so one less thing in a rebuild to worry about.

I think the .338wm the rifle, the bolt face and the gap in calibres.

It could also seem logical and will not require excessively priced dies and components to get out and shoot.

Being a Howa it won’t gain any value as a custom. If you want to build your grandsons inheritance it won’t be a financial gain but you might build his interest.

My mate is waffling on about a .300prc but it’s been said you have the .30’s covered except the quintessential American cartridge the .30-0ught 6, but you could buy a new Howa for the price of a good barrel and the bolt face is different.

The only "gap" I see is a mild big bore.
Something between the 375 and 458.
416RM comes to mind as stated by @fourfive8.
Maybe you could modify the action to fit it.

To stay within the action length and same size bolt head...
Why not a 240WBY?
That would be my suggestion with 416RM second.
@BeeMaa
Only problem with the 240 weatherby is that although it's a magnum it actually has a 30 ought six bolt head size.
Bob

@BeeMaa
Only problem with the 240 weatherby is that although it's a magnum it actually has a 30 ought six bolt head size.
Bob
Good catch @Bob Nelson 35Whelen
And my apologies to the OP.
You already have a 257WBY.
So...maybe a 27NOSLER or 28NOSLER?
Just to make every other 270WIN and 7mmRM useless.
Except for the fact that you will need to reload...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leila36M05

Latest profile posts

btheis13 wrote on migrabill's profile.
I love your zebra avatar! Is that yours? If so, would you mind sharing who did your taxidermy work?
Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning