AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Resident Hunters of Alaska
Hunted
United States, Canada
Good choice. The 35Whelen is better.
I have 1 35 Whelen and I'm building another one, but I can't say that it is better than the 338-06. My dad hunts with a 338-06, and there is no significant real world difference between the 2. I used to think the 338-06 might have an advantage in bullet selection, but I don't think that is even a big difference any more. Lots of good .358 bullets out there, and you only need 1 that shoots good for your rifle.

Caliber wise, the only real itch I have left to scratch is an 8x68. I have absolutely no need for it. I just want one.

Dr. Crack

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
The 338 is a good idea because you don't have one. And, you don't have a metric caliber, so the 8mm is good. Otherwise, I would suggest the 400 H&H as it has a lot of uses with 300gr TSX, or 350gr and 400gr A-Frames, it is unique and is a neat looking cartridge.
338 Ackley Improved? Almost the sans a belt 338 Win Mag

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
Why is this in handguns? Anyway my vote is for the 6.5-06, .280 Remington, or .338-06 A-Square.

ldmay375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
For the ease of converting, I vote 338 Winchester. Plus, I am a big fan of the 338 Winchester.

I found a good deal on a Howa 1500, 300 Win Mag and decided to get it for a donor. Honestly it performs well and have even thought of using it for a foul weather rifle for hunting at home. In trying to decide on what I’d like to someday convert it to, here are a few of my thoughts in no certain order:
338 Win Mag
358 Norma
358 STA
8 mm Rem Mag
27 Nosler

I currently have the following rifle calibers:
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm-08
7mm rem mag
270 Win
300 Win mag
300 Weatherby
300 wsm
35 Whelen
375 Ruger
458 Lott

Now, knowing what I have, and being a little 30 caliber heavy, what niche am I missing, or are there others that I could build that I haven’t mentioned above? I’m not looking for anything in particular, I just like tinkering and building up my grandson’s inheritance. As always, I appreciate the advice on how to spend money!

CoElkHunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
338 Ackley Improved? Almost the sans a belt 338 Win Mag
.338WM AI? Just run the WM through the AI chambered rifle to fire form the AI case. But, then you'd have to buy the AI dies and it's a reloading only situation. Not sure how much you would gain over say the Hornady Superformance factory ammo or just handload the WM a little hotter. I have a .338WM and it has enough power in it's original form. Just my 2 centavos.

PARA45

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Simple, 375 H&H. :)

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I have 1 35 Whelen and I'm building another one, but I can't say that it is better than the 338-06. My dad hunts with a 338-06, and there is no significant real world difference between the 2. I used to think the 338-06 might have an advantage in bullet selection, but I don't think that is even a big difference any more. Lots of good .358 bullets out there, and you only need 1 that shoots good for your rifle.

Caliber wise, the only real itch I have left to scratch is an 8x68. I have absolutely no need for it. I just want one.
@walk-in
Stoke the Whelen up properly and it leaves the 338 ought six in its wake.
A 250 grain Speer hotcore at 2,700fps out of the Whelen puts a lot of hurt on an animal
Bob

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Of course you could just step up to the next level and build a 9.3x62... sorry Bob you’re making it too easy! LOL

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Of course you could just step up to the next level and build a 9.3x62... sorry Bob you’re making it too easy! LOL
@WAB
I know mate but why have a 9.3x62 or a Whelen when you can have a lovely 375h&h.
Dang just get all 3 and be done and sort out what you need.
Bob

walk-in

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Resident Hunters of Alaska
Hunted
United States, Canada
@walk-in
Stoke the Whelen up properly and it leaves the 338 ought six in its wake.
A 250 grain Speer hotcore at 2,700fps out of the Whelen puts a lot of hurt on an animal
Bob
I use 250 gr Kodiak bonded bullets in my current Whelen. There is no doubt that it packs a wallop, but there is nothing I hunt (including Alaskan grizzly & brown bears) that I wouldn't feel equally confident going after with either a 35 Whelen or 338-06. They're both perfectly capable, and my preference for the 35 Whelen is just that...a preference. If you handed me a 338-06 and said "Let's go hunting" I wouldn't think twice about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeraDalzie

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...