HELP NEEDED To Find Scott van Zyl Gone Missing In Zimbabwe

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by gillettehunter, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Wallnutt

Wallnutt AH Member

Video/Photo:
    UPDATE #5: Hi everyone, the search mission resumed at 6AM this morning at full steam. Lots of boots on the ground and choppers in the air. Currently busy arranging fuel for the choppers to be on standby close-by for the days search. Thanks again for all the contributions it helps a lot to cover all the costs!

2. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    Terrible situation! Prayers being said for Scott's family and all of those involved with finding him and bringing him home. Donation also being made. It also brings to light how amazing the hunting community is world wide. God speed in finding Scott.

Salome de Villiers, Pheroze and lcq like this.

3. mstewart44

mstewart44 AH Veteran

To whoever is managing this post, Please keep updates coming and post often, even if there is not much to add. My first trip to South Africa was to hunt with Scott and SS Pro Safaris. Someobe described Scott as tough as an oak stump and this is so accurate! I hope he is found soon! I will make a donation and try to arrange for others to do the same through my local SCI Chapter.

rinehart0050, lcq and Pheroze like this.

4. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    I'm contacting our current president of the Houston Safari Club to see if he would do a blast email to the members of HSC to inform them of this situation and the Go Fund Me site. Hopefully this will help with the effort. Wish I could be there to help on the ground!

BWH, ctulpa, Royal27 and 4 others like this.

5. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    ^^ good idea ^^

Will do the same with DSC

6. Edge

Edge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    PA, NM, ND, Al, FL, MD, Eastern Cape South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2
    Thanks for posting, we hunters need to take care of our own. Donation made and FB post shared amongst my hunting friends.

Salome de Villiers likes this.

7. wapiti

wapiti AH Senior Member

Scott came to our local taxidermists to talk about his outfit this past Feb. Unfortunately we couldn't attend because we were out of state. A friend did meet him there last year and said he is a great guy. Prayers are being said and a donation was sent.

Salome de Villiers likes this.

8. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    My hopes and prayers are with Scott hoping he is home safe very soon.

Just curious, wouldn't some of the houndsmen in the area be able to help out? So proud of the hunting community joining to help this fellow hunter so quickly! Checking back regularly hoping to hear really good news. Prayers of strength to Scott's family as they work in earnest to find him.

9. Hammergun

Hammergun AH Member

Prayers and money sent.

10. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    News from the other forum is that DSC was approached on the 7th and has donated. I have been hoping for good news soon.... Prayers and donation too. Bruce

BWH likes this.

11. Wallnutt

Wallnutt AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I spoke to Marcel, one of his Ph, this morning and they are or have brought in a Anti Poaching dog team to help look for him. The dogs are man trackers and specialize in human scent trailing. Keep Praying, donating and spreading the word guys. His family appreciates all of the prayers and monetary support.

rinehart0050, ctulpa and lcq like this.

12. Ruark

Ruark AH Member

I've put some word out as well, hopefully it will bring in some more donations.

Just asking speculatively... are there any specific dangers in that area that might be part of this, e.g. militant poachers or rebels, large lion prides, etc.? Did the tracker hear any gunshots? Prayers sent for Scott and his family.

13. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    Marcel was my PH and is a good man. Hope Scott is found safe

14. David Johnston

David Johnston AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    UK (Engalnd & Scotland) Namibia, South Africa
    Praying for a safe return, have just donated . Thoughts are with the family at this worrying time.

15. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    I've never seen Scott carry a gun in the bush when he is working. ie. checking baits, fixing stuff etc

16. Dwight Gelhorn

Dwight Gelhorn New Member

Member of:
    SCI
    I can't imagine what his friends and family are going thru at this time. I pray for Scotts safe return and am so proud of our community pulling together to help find Scott. I most surely will go to GoFundMe and make a contribution and Gods speed to finding Scott.

17. Dewet Conradie

Dewet Conradie New Member

Member of:
    PHASA
    Amazing man. Praying for him and his family. Thanks to all for helping.
    Come home safe Scott.

18. BC.Pat

BC.Pat AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana , Namibia, Sierra Leone
    Donation Made, hoping for a happy outcome. Hard times for His family wishing them the best.

19. MMAL

MMAL GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
    Hope and prayers are with Scott and family. Donation is a small token. Wish I could be there to help.

Olypopper likes this.

20. Salome de Villiers

Salome de Villiers AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA (South African Hunters and Game Conservation Association) - LHLF (Limpopo Hunters Liason Forum)
    UPDATE #6: Good evening everyone, my apologies for not giving updates today. Most of the search parties are in extremely challenging terrain with little to no mobile/cellphone coverage therefore updates did not come in during the day. The search party is confident they've locked down a search area but daylight caught up with them again. A large part of the day was spent to get the Zimbabwean Police and departments involved and up to date with the progress made yesterday and they have been assisting in the search with extra resources. There will still be searches continuing tonight but the largest part of the search party will stand down till first light tomorrow morning.

We want to thank each and everyone again for their contributions, prayers and messages of hope to the family and friends.

We would like to urge everybody to stay away from any unconfirmed speculations or rumours as there has been many opinions and inaccurate information shared during the day which only upsets the family and i consider to be unfair to them in this trying time. There is also many media interest about the search and rescue, i would also urge anyone who are approached by the media to refer them into the official LHLF channels of which Mr. Gerhard Vos is the co-ordinator of this effort.

Thank you again to all the organisations including several SCI chapters and other hunting organizations like the LHLF , ZPHGA (Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association), Zimbabwe Tourism Authority, South African Police Service, HPG & all the other organizations involved as mentioned in previous updates.

Bobpuckett, dtarin09, jeff and 10 others like this.