help me decide between scopes

I have seen Leupolds take unbelievable abuse and hot their zero, they sold me back in my guiding days. horses banging them off of trees or rolling on them, dropped, stepped on, etc. not to mention the constant jarring of miles of horseback travel. Many others failed this test but never a Leupold.

8x is definitely plenty at 300yds. I have used 12x on shots well past 500yds with no issue or desire for more and have fired quick shots with it still at 6x (where I normally carry it) out past 400 as well. 8x is fine.

I agree 8x is plenty, I have sniped a few animals with 6x (Leupold 3x9 40mm) at 350 yards with my .243 Win.

I have seen Leupolds take unbelievable abuse and hot their zero, they sold me back in my guiding days. horses banging them off of trees or rolling on them, dropped, stepped on, etc. not to mention the constant jarring of miles of horseback travel. Many others failed this test but never a Leupold.

8x is definitely plenty at 300yds. I have used 12x on shots well past 500yds with no issue or desire for more and have fired quick shots with it still at 6x (where I normally carry it) out past 400 as well. 8x is fine.

For clarity, they hold their zero not hot it.

im looking to buy a scope for my 550 in 375 H&H and ive got three in mind but am a little stuck. im looking at either a leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36, a leupold VX-1 2-7x33, or a VX-3 1.75-6x32. I have never tried the 2.5-8x36 scope or the 1.75-6x32 so I don't know much about them but I do own a 2-7x33 and love it! what do you recommend?

I have a Leupold 2-7x33 (I believe a VX I) and also like it. I used to have it on a CZ 550 in 458 Lott but currently have it on a 204 Ruger. I've found the power to be no handicap for shots on smallish targets at 300+ yard ranges.

I guess if it were me wanting something in your price range, I would probably go Leupold.

I've got several of the Vortex Viper scopes and love them, I've also got a couple Leupolds. If you go with Leupold, and they are a great scope, I'd get the VX3 line over the VX1 if the price is doable. The VX1 is a good scope, but mechanically the VX3 is more reliable, I've never shot a .375 but I'm guessing recoil is significant. Just my opinion.

I use a VX1 on my .375,this is also the rifle that act as a loan rifle to clients for dangerous game.I am very impressed with the abuse they take without ever losing zero.For the price this scope definitely punches above its weight.

thanks for the responses all, im pretty much down to either a VX-1 2-7x33 or the VX-R 2-7x33. I decided I love the VX-1 2-7x33 on my other CZ so getting another in the same power range makes sense. my only gripe is the VX-R comes in 30mm only. any one know where to find some quick detach medium 30mm rings?

thanks
-matt

nm on my last question, I found optics planet has everything I need. I went ahead an ordered:

- VX-R 2-7x33
- Warne 30mm medium quick detach rings
- PAST magnum recoil pad (to spare my poor shoulder at the bench)

thanks
-matt

thanks for the responses all, im pretty much down to either a VX-1 2-7x33 or the VX-R 2-7x33. I decided I love the VX-1 2-7x33 on my other CZ so getting another in the same power range makes sense. my only gripe is the VX-R comes in 30mm only. any one know where to find some quick detach medium 30mm rings?

thanks
-matt

Talley QD Rings

I use Talley QD rings on my CZ 550.

thanks
-matt

Matt,

These may not be the cheapest but you may want to watch the video.

CZ 550 Quick Detachable Scope Rings Shooting Demo, 416 Rigby - YouTube

Ruger Scope Rings, Gun Parts - Bolt Handle And CZ USA Parts | Alaska Arms LLC

I use these mounts on my CZ550. If I remember correct he guarantees 1/4 MOA each time you remove and remount the scope.

All the best.

I already ordered a set of warne rings (its all I could find last night) and they had good reviews. if I end up having any problems with them ill give the Alaska arms rings a try.

thanks
-matt

I already ordered a set of warne rings (its all I could find last night) and they had good reviews. if I end up having any problems with them ill give the Alaska arms rings a try.

thanks
-matt

I think you'll like the Warnes, they haven't let me down that I know of. I really like the way they float into your scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg