Hello from WI

One of the best parts has been the hunt for a proper first rifle and caliber.
Uh oh, future addict. Few years from now he’ll be with all you guys deciding if he should take his 404, his 416, or just stick with one of his four 375s.:Woot:

Uh oh, future addict. Few years from now he’ll be with all you guys deciding if he should take his 404, his 416, or just stick with one of his four 375s.:Woot:

Has anyone every just dove into the deep side of the pool and gone with 505 Gibbs for their first big fella?

Josh, if you are really looking at buying your first deer rifle and hope to take it to Africa then you should probably be looking at a 30-06. It is universally accepted and will take all North American game with the exception of the big bears and all of the African Plains Game. A second hand '06 can be found in just about any gun shop. I prefer older rifles as they are generally made better. Even old WWI military rifles are suitable candidates. They can either be used as is or sporterized.

Josh, if you are really looking at buying your first deer rifle and hope to take it to Africa then you should probably be looking at a 30-06. It is universally accepted and will take all North American game with the exception of the big bears and all of the African Plains Game. A second hand '06 can be found in just about any gun shop. I prefer older rifles as they are generally made better. Even old WWI military rifles are suitable candidates. They can either be used as is or sporterized.

Right On. I am a deer hunter, I meant. 30-06 is indeed the caliber I use. I’m thinking of moving to a 375 H&H for hunting white tail and to gain proficiency with an Africa caliber.

Depending on what you want to hunt in Africa 375 H&H is a lot of rifle. While no one would fault you for using it, that caliber is way more than what you need for Plains Game. Now if you are thinking about possibly hunting Dangerous Game it is the minimum caliber allowed in most African countries. There is a metric caliber rifle called a 9.3x62 that is a step up from the '06. It is similar to a 35 Whelen which is what I used on my first African hunt. For my next hunt coming up in July I'm taking a 404 Jeffery and my 35 Whelen.

Depending on what you want to hunt in Africa 375 H&H is a lot of rifle. While no one would fault you for using it, that caliber is way more than what you need for Plains Game. Now if you are thinking about possibly hunting Dangerous Game it is the minimum caliber allowed in most African countries. There is a metric caliber rifle called a 9.3x62 that is a step up from the '06. It is similar to a 35 Whelen which is what I used on my first African hunt. For my next hunt coming up in July I'm taking a 404 Jeffery and my 35 Whelen.

I appreciate your guidance and the time offered in responding. I hope your adventure is an enjoyable and memorable one.

In my recent reading, the 404 Jeffrey is noted as fine and respectable cartridge for Africa. Has a historical patina which I do respect. It’s one I’m considering for my first African capable rifle.

I’d like something capable of both dangerous and plains game. Not an “elephant” gun, but more power than a dedicated plains caliber.

It will come down to a balance between power and control. The power is more of a liability without the control to match it. I’m hoping I’ll choose wisely without purchasing 10 more guns along the way. That said, I’m just as likely to buy 10 more guns anyway.

To my thinking, and within the current fiscal position- I may be justified and taking the steeper path directly to 375 H&H rather than a more reserved ascent to the 9.3X62. Assuming a 375 H&H is definitely in my future. I think with a fair effort, I’ll be able to wrap around the recoil and train to its demands.

My 30-06 is just about perfect for my current continent. I can shoot it well enough and with the flexibility and availability- well- it’s all been said before as to the 30 aught.

Given those vague parameters, perhaps you have more to share. Thanks for the help.

I have two 375 H&Hs one a Mauser, the other a Winchester. When I was considering possibilities similar to yours I consulted a very respected contributor to AH. He said that although a 375 H&H will kill a Buffalo, the operative word was "WHEN." So I resolved that question by deciding to use my Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby. Almost a year later another well respected AH member was involved in a leopard charge where he wound up shooting the cat and then had to shoot it again to stop it from mauling his PH. It was at that time I decided to purchase the 404 Jeffery. It too is an all around caliber for PG and DG but it packs a lot more punch than a 375 H&H. The problem with the 404 is price and availability. It will cost you from a minimum of 4 times the price of a good used Winchester 375 H&H to 10K.

I have two 375 H&Hs one a Mauser, the other a Winchester. When I was considering possibilities similar to yours I consulted a very respected contributor to AH. He said that although a 375 H&H will kill a Buffalo, the operative word was "WHEN." So I resolved that question by deciding to use my Ruger No. 1 in 416 Rigby. Almost a year later another well respected AH member was involved in a leopard charge where he wound up shooting the cat and then had to shoot it again to stop it from mauling his PH. It was at that time I decided to purchase the 404 Jeffery. It too is an all around caliber for PG and DG but it packs a lot more punch than a 375 H&H. The problem with the 404 is price and availability. It will cost you from a minimum of 4 times the price of a good used Winchester 375 H&H to 10K.

Yes-expensive no doubt. I see the CZ 550 Classic Safari comes in 404. I have a strong liking for the CZ Boddington which comes in 375 H&H, but again, she’s not cheap.

Between the standard CZ 550 and Winchester Safari Express- would you go with the Winchester?

Winchester for sure. One of the newer Custom Classics made from the mid 90s through current that has the Mauser style bolt i.e. controlled feed. I just bought one in 375 H&H for $995 on Gunbroker. With the CZ there is the probability of feeding issues.. Some work right out of the box others don't. My 404 Jeffery came out of their Custom Shop in 2006 but was never fired till I bought it. The rifle worked when only one round at a time was put into the magazine. I took it to a local gunsmith that had it for a month and couldn't fix it. I called the Custom Shop and they agreed to fix it for free. In fact I just got it back today. They wound up putting the barreled action into a milling machine to correct the problem. I feeds just fine now. The CZs from the Custom Shop start off at $3200 by the time you add a fancy stock, get the bolt Jeweled and a few other things like NECG front and rear Peep you have $5K or more wrapped up in it. There is a company called American Hunting Rifle (AHR) that will build you a 404 Jeffery using a CZ 550 Action. From everything I've read about Wayne Jacobson's work it is top drawer. He also offers a couple of "packages" three to be exact to trick up a Standard CZ. Each package builds on the one preceding it. When all is said and done I think you are talking about $2500 including shipping but don't quote me on that. AHR's charges are over and above the cost of the rifle.

Winchester for sure. One of the newer Custom Classics made from the mid 90s through current that has the Mauser style bolt i.e. controlled feed. I just bought one in 375 H&H for $995 on Gunbroker. With the CZ there is the probability of feeding issues.. Some work right out of the box others don't. My 404 Jeffery came out of their Custom Shop in 2006 but was never fired till I bought it. The rifle worked when only one round at a time was put into the magazine. I took it to a local gunsmith that had it for a month and couldn't fix it. I called the Custom Shop and they agreed to fix it for free. In fact I just got it back today. They wound up putting the barreled action into a milling machine to correct the problem. I feeds just fine now. The CZs from the Custom Shop start off at $3200 by the time you add a fancy stock, get the bolt Jeweled and a few other things like NECG front and rear Peep you have $5K or more wrapped up in it. There is a company called American Hunting Rifle (AHR) that will build you a 404 Jeffery using a CZ 550 Action. From everything I've read about Wayne Jacobson's work it is top drawer. He also offers a couple of "packages" three to be exact to trick up a Standard CZ. Each package builds on the one preceding it. When all is said and done I think you are talking about $2500 including shipping but don't quote me on that. AHR's charges are over and above the cost of the rifle.

Why are so many drawn to the CZ after all that? I assume it’s about the tradition and owning a custom rifle if one can afford it? Understandable- some addictions are more costly than others... Oh- and I just checked my local small town sporting goods store. Seems he has a 30-06 Winchester 70 from the mid 1970’s with a scope for 550. After looking at dozens of fiberglass stainless rifles- I’m looking forward to seeing this classic.

Why are so many drawn to the CZ after all that? I assume it’s about the tradition and owning a custom rifle if one can afford it? Understandable- some addictions are more costly than others... Oh- and I just checked my local small town sporting goods store. Seems he has a 30-06 Winchester 70 from the mid 1970’s with a scope for 550. After looking at dozens of fiberglass stainless rifles- I’m looking forward to seeing this classic.
Buy it, buy it now!

Welcome aboard!!

By old Mod 70(s) do you mean pre '64?

Josh, most of my Winchesters were made between '64 and '92, they are "pushers" in that they do not control rounds coming out of the magazine. They are generally accurate and make excellent deer, hog elk, antelope etc. rifles. About three years ago I found a pristine 30-06 Mod. 70 built in 1948, the price sans scope was $850. Needless to say, it followed me home. While I'm sure that folks using "pushers" have had a few incidents where that caused a problem (personally I've never had one.) That being said, I also think that most discerning hunters would prefer to have a Controlled Round Feed (CRF) rifle. That is why Winchester made them available once again. BTW the 375 H&H that I just bought is an African Express.

By old Mod 70(s) do you mean pre '64?

Josh, most of my Winchesters were made between '64 and '92, they are "pushers" in that they do not control rounds coming out of the magazine. They are generally accurate and make excellent deer, hog elk, antelope etc. rifles. About three years ago I found a pristine 30-06 Mod. 70 built in 1948, the price sans scope was $850. Needless to say, it followed me home. While I'm sure that folks using "pushers" have had a few incidents where that caused a problem (personally I've never had one.) That being said, I also think that most discerning hunters would prefer to have a Controlled Round Feed (CRF) rifle. That is why Winchester made them available once again. BTW the 375 H&H that I just bought is an African Express.

I think by old, I was thinking 20+ years old. I’ll be looking at even older ones than that also.

Welcome to the best forum Josh! Enjoy!

Welcome to AH!

Right On. I am a deer hunter, I meant. 30-06 is indeed the caliber I use. I’m thinking of moving to a 375 H&H for hunting white tail and to gain proficiency with an Africa caliber.

Nothing wrong with that plan, especially if you handload.

I killed deer, pigs, a fallow and an elk with a .375 long before I realized the dream of going to Africa and hunting anything large enough to really make sense for a .375.

The Wisconsin invasion continues...welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross