Hello from the Pacific Northwest

okie john

New member
Joined
Aug 7, 2023
Messages
8
Reaction score
11
You may know me from other forums. Long-time hunter and shooter. Former military, too. Now I focus on hunting elk, bears, and wild hogs. Here mostly to seek out data on the 35 Whelen.

Thanks,


Okie John
 
Welcome to you! Glad you're here!
 
Hello and welcome!
 
Greetings okie john,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

The .35 Whelen is a wonderful cartridge for N. American big game hunting.
And, for a “one rifle African plains game safari”, everything from Duiker to Eland, it seems quite perfect.

In N. America, shooting 225 grain spitzers, it shoots plenty flat enough for pronghorn and mountain goat, wild sheep and desert mule deer.
With 250 grain round nose bullets, or better yet Swift A-Frame bullets, it would be a very fine moose, elk, bison and the largest African so called “plains game”.

Sadly, the Whelen is overlooked, globally.
I am also guilty of overlooking it, by favoring the .375 H&H over the excellent Whelen.

My preference is not due to the .375’s extra horse power, as it is overpowered for most (not quite all) non-dangerous game, everywhere in the world.
My preference is due to ammunition availability.
If ammunition for the .35 Whelen was as widely available, I might re-think my preference for the .375 caliber.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
 
Welcome to AH!
 
Welcome to AH. Several 35 Whelen fans here.
 
Welcome to AH!!
 
Welcome, our resident Whelen GURU will be along to inform you on all things .35 Whelen.

Get ready!
 
:S Welcome:
 
Welcome! Where from the PNW? I have to say, I’m seeing salmon fishing reports off the coast of WA and getting seriously home sick. Colorado is great, and our big game hunting is 2nd to none, but I miss the salmon fishing.

Jetjockey
 
Welcome to AH! Yes, our very own Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen will "enlighten" you with everything you ever wanted to know about the .35 Whelen AND many things about that cartridge that nobody cares to know about. LOL
 
Welcome to AH okie John!
 
You may know me from other forums. Long-time hunter and shooter. Former military, too. Now I focus on hunting elk, bears, and wild hogs. Here mostly to seek out data on the 35 Whelen.

Thanks,


Okie John
@okie john
Seek and you will find. There's a heap of stuff on the Whelen on this forum. Just type in 35 Whelen near the magnifying glass.
There's load from mild to wild and ALL are SAFE.
A 225gn Woodleigh round nose at 2,900fps or any 250gn at 2,700fps will handle most things. If you need more you can step up to a 310gn.
Welcome from the forum 35 Whelen loony.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,085
Members
169,695
Latest member
bbm88dayv
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top