Hello from Sweden!

Welcome from Canada.

Have you ever prepared a dish with Surstromming? Love watching the videos on that delicacy being consumed, or smelled! .

Thanks!

I have! One of my fondest memory of my grandfather was helping him with the "surströmming", I didn't eat it myself and I would buy a gas mask before going near that stuff again :)

/Cheers

Swedish Chef, welcome to the AH forum! We all have our opinions, so here’s mine…
My first trip I took a 300 Win Mag and took a number of PG. Upon returning home, I immediately began my search for a 375 H&H. My reasoning was I only wanted to take one rifle to Africa and the 375 H&H was the compromise cartridge that could do most anything. My theory has worked on every trip since. The longest shot in an open savanna was over 350 yards. Most probably averaged less than 100 yards in the bushveld areas.

I prefer carrying a rifle and cartridge ready for what ever “Mother Africa” presents to me, thus the 375 H&H has been my choice for the one rifle safari.

Best of luck with what ever you decide! You're going to love Africa!

Great minds think alike. My first trip will probably be Namibia and after that Zambia and so on and I'am curious about distances for PG-hunting which I presume is somewhat dictated by the excellent eye sight of various antelopes.

Greetings Swedish chef,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Regarding your caliber questions, my vote is for you to keep the .375 H&H.
No matter what else you do, always keep that .375 for sure.
Now that your .375 is settled, either the .30-06 or the 7x57 are excellent calibers for much of Africa’s animals.
You will be happy with either of them.

If however, one is more accurate than the other, keep whichever one is most accurate and then sell the other.
If perhaps both your .30 and 7mm are equal in accuracy, I suggest you keep your 7x57.
This is because of tradition and nostalgia.
No other reason.

Regarding the .300 Winchester Magnum, that caliber seems to be a highly specialized one.
I believe it is best suited to rather long range shots at thin skinned game, beginning at about 350 meters and further.
South Africa’s Eastern Cape, much of Namibia and certain parts of the Kalahari Desert often have conditions that make it possible shoot farther.
For those, a .300 Magnum is perfect.
However, perhaps 80 percent or more of the most common Africa hunting conditions, are not especially well suited to long shots.

The extra velocity it has is totally unnecessary at the more common distances.
And not just unnecessary but, at the more common shooting distances, that extra velocity splatters and wastes too much edible meat, IMO.
Also, at the more common shooting distances, the .300 Magnum tears the skins of smaller animals badly, again due to unnecessarily high velocity.

Your 7x57 or .30-06 will also work quite well, in those more open geography and sparse foliage places, without badly splattering the animals at closer ranges.
Furthermore, the .375 H&H is a very fine distance shooter, when loaded with a 270 grain bullet.
And generally speaking, it is nowhere near as destructive on edible meat and skins for taxidermy, as the .300 magnum is.
Most important, it is a fantastic bush cartridge, especially when loaded with a 300 grain blunt shaped (“round nose”) bullet.
For hunting the larger non-dangerous species such as, eland, zebra, waterbok and so forth, it is possibly the very best choice.

I am rambling and so I will close now.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Thanks for providing good input, much appreciated!

Indeed one of my concerns would be PG-hunting for Eland and maybe Giraffes in open terrain where the can see you. My experience with fallow and roe deer here in Sweden is that they readily can see when things are out of order at quite the distance. Especially at silhouetting objects. I attached some eye candy to behold. The 7x57 is currently not equipped with a scope as I have the mount on order. I have a Zeiss 2,5-10 left over from earlier for that. I like Mauser...

Left to right: M98 7x57, M98 Magnum 375 H&H, M03 in 30-06.
nedladdning.png

Welcome to AH!
You can’t go wrong with the .30-06 or the 7x57.

Hawk

Welcome to AH! If we can be of any assistance with US Customs or shipping, please call, email, or send me a message!

Welcome to AH and the posting side! Great to have you here and we are looking forward to you sharing your stories!
Give us a call or email if we can assist you in any way.

Welcome to AH!!

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg