Hello from South Africa - new hunter

CraigM

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Hi all

My name is Craig and I am from Pretoria, South Africa. I went on my first hunt in July 2019 with a friend. Being my first hunt, I wanted to do everything myself (no guide, walk-and-stalk, skinning, butchery etc.). I learnt a lot in the process and have a great appreciation for the whole experience. A private, non-commercial farm was planning to cull a herd of impala due to the terrible and ongoing drought conditions they were facing, so I managed to go a week prior to the cull and took a large female impala.

I really enjoyed the hunt, so much so that I have been reading up a lot since then. I have researched rifles and am in the process of acquiring a Sako Hunter 30-06.

As I am only starting out, my species wish list is still relatively small, but definitely includes gemsbok and springbok (they are both delicious).

I also enjoy fishing. I have fished for tiger fish in Namibia and Zambia. I also enjoy fly fishing for yellow fish and trout - I will wet a line at every opportunity I get!

Thanks for a great forum, I look forward to learning and participating where I can.

Cheers
Craig

welcome welcome welcome

Welcome to AH

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to one of the best hunting sites around.

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH Craig. Are you aware that there are several AH Members living near you? You might try looking them up. No doubt they would be a good source of information for you.

Welcome CraigM!

Welcome to AH Craig! Great intro and looking forward to your contribution.

Hi Craig, welcome to AH !

Hallo Craig,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

When you are equipped with that Sako Hunter model rifle in caliber .30-06 and a fly rod / reel, you will be ready for almost anything.
Sako rifles are typically super accurate, reliable and stoutly built.

Cheers,
Paul.

Giday Craig and welcome not only to the A H forums but to the world of hunting and the lifelong rewards it brings to us, both in mental well being and with natural table fare for us and our families.

CraigM, welcome to the AH forum! You have made a good decision choosing a Sako in 30-06 in my opinion. Now for a shotgun, a DG rifle and a 22LR rifle and you will have a great Africa battery! Looking forward to your reports and how that 30-06 performs!

I am sure that I will come across a few as I explore the forum and get more involved. I am starting to do research for a hunt next year, so this may come in handy!
Welcome to AH Craig. Are you aware that there are several AH Members living near you? You might try looking them up. No doubt they would be a good source of information for you.

Thanks! Haha but baby steps! I started out with a pistol and graduated to the 30-06. I am keeping an eye open for a good deal on a 22. However, my father in law has a 22/410 and a 12 GA that I have my eye on, when the time is right. As for a DG rifle, maybe one day. Let's see how deep this rabbit hole goes!
CraigM, welcome to the AH forum! You have made a good decision choosing a Sako in 30-06 in my opinion. Now for a shotgun, a DG rifle and a 22LR rifle and you will have a great Africa battery! Looking forward to your reports and how that 30-06 performs!

Welcome to the forum look forward to your hunts being posted

Welcome to AH Craig! It is a great site, glad to have you here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg