Hello from NH

Nicholas Barcomb

AH veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
186
Reaction score
128
Location
South of San Antonio, TX, USA
Media
4
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
1
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, North American Hunting Club, BASS, North American Fishing Club
Hunted
Canada and USA
Been interested in hunting in Africa for many years. Would mostly like to try for buffalo, but would also like plains game as well. I'm not too choosy and pretty much like mature game over super trophies and racks. I also reload my own ammunition, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. Since I do reload, I have many calibers and weapons to choose from, but none of them are the magnum variety. I like plain cases and if I need something to move a little faster or slower I bump up a caliber or go down a caliber. I am very interested in reading and understanding some of the things I will need if I ever get to Africa to fulfill my hunting needs. Also looking forward to sharing ideas as well. Thank you.
 
Welcome to AH Nicholas! Looking forward to having you with us!
 
Well welcome to the site NH! You will need a 375 or bigger for a buff. Anything from a 270 to 30-06 to 300 win mag is great for plains game. There are a lot of threads on here with folks just like you sharing their dream and how they realized the dream. Start saving your coins and making a list. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
 
Welcome!
 
Thanks for having me. I do own a Ruger #1 in .405 Winchester that I was able to hot rod some .300 gr Barnes TSX to 2560 fps. I just don't feel comfortable enough in using a single shot on a freight train. I am leaning towards either the 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger. The 416 Ruger is highly intriguing to me for cost saving measures, but am thinking the Rigby due to availability if I loose my reloads in shipping.
 
Thanks for having me. I do own a Ruger #1 in .405 Winchester that I was able to hot rod some .300 gr Barnes TSX to 2560 fps. I just don't feel comfortable enough in using a single shot on a freight train. I am leaning towards either the 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger. The 416 Ruger is highly intriguing to me for cost saving measures, but am thinking the Rigby due to availability if I loose my reloads in shipping.

And if you like the romance of the caliber then there is nothing like the Rigby. Honestly, I chose the .375 H&Hill over some of the other options for just that reason.
 
Welcome to AH!
 
Welcome to AH!
 
Welcome Nicholas! I hope you make it to Africa soon. You know what they say, if you wait until you can afford it you'll never go!
I have family all over New Hampshire. Sister in Hebron, cousins in Quincy/Rumney, others in Laconia, Nashua, Keene, Lebanon. Love the state.
See ya around AH
 
Welcome to AH Nicholas! I assume you're from New Hampshire? I was there about two months ago for a few days, about 45 mins or so west of Manchester. Great place here to ask your questions regarding an African safari.
 
Plenty of gun nuts on AH to chat with.
Have fun.

Welcome.
 
Welcome! Sounds like you'll fit right in. I'm not a single shot guy either but if budget is a concern, I doubt there is much wrong with that Ruger #1 for buffalo. Ask a couple PH's.

Otherwise have to agree with the nostalgia of a 416 Rigby.. I seriously considered that but went with a 375 H&H for versatility and as close to a perfect starter African Gun I could think of.

CAustin has a really nice rifle/scope combo in 416 Ruger shown in pictures on here and with some shopping that can be had for under $2000 all in. I just bought the 375 Ruger version for my wife.... I have to admit I like it so well I'm going to have to borrow it. Might be the greatest gun for the money you can find, with controlled round feed. That scope is economical for everything it does, but also great quality.
 
Welcome to AH, Nicholas ! I would also recommend the old classic, 375 HH.
 
Welcome Nicholas! I hope you make it to Africa soon. You know what they say, if you wait until you can afford it you'll never go!
I have family all over New Hampshire. Sister in Hebron, cousins in Quincy/Rumney, others in Laconia, Nashua, Keene, Lebanon. Love the state.
See ya around AH
I'm up in Berlin, about 2-3 hours north of those cities and about 90 miles due south of the Canadian border. I do like it here and wish I could draw a moose tag.
 
Welcome to AH Nicholas. Nice having you part of us. Enjoy the time.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,348
Messages
1,573,662
Members
169,807
Latest member
BoydGreenw
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top