Hello from New Zealand

MattNZ

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
NZ
Hi all I'm Matt great website you all have here looking forward to picking your brains to try and suss out my first hunt to Africa :p and if anyone is looking at NZ please flick me a line if your keen on some free public land hunting in NZ as any excuse to go hunting is great with me

Bit about myself I'm 23 born and bred kiwi been hunting for 6 years now all in NZ, mostly in the Ruahines (which is one of our ranges in the North island) targeting primarily Red Deer. I'm a soldier by trade and funnily enough that's what's paying for this trip, will also be my first time leaving NZ without being sent somewhere to serve so again something I'm really looking forward to

What I'm planning for in Africa is a 7 to 9 day hunt targeting primarily Gemsbok but also Kudu, Impala and warthog and if I did get time I would love a zebra but not overly fussed if I missed out on that

Looking forward to chatting to you all in the Near future and any questions on New Zealand (except the question if we are part of Aussie) feel free to ask

Best Regards Matt

Last edited:
Hi and welcome Matt,enjoy your planning!

gday matt welcome and enjoy the site ,mate .
you've come to the right place for info on your first African safari .
love to come across and do hunt with ya , in un zed in a year or two .
we all know that the smart kiwis are all ready living oz ,bro :laughing:

Welcome to AH Matt!

Hi Matt

Welcome to AH . If you have any questions just ask us.

You may be able to pull up an old forum topic you are interested in by doing a advanced search in the upper left corner.

I did visit with some Outfitters from New Zealand at the Dallas Safari Club convention for a possible 2016 location to go to.

Welcome to AH.

bluey is patrolling the ocean to ensure you don't invade the great land of OZ. :)

Thanks for the guiding offer.

Good luck with your hunt planning here on AH.

Welcome to AH, Matt!

Welcome from Minnesota USA

Welcome to AH Matt! Good to have you join us here on the forum. Have some kiwis hunting with me in July. All the best in your planning!

Cheers,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH, Matt !

Welcome and enjoy!

Cheers for all the replies all great to see you all have such a welcoming and friendly Forum,

Haha brickburn you poor buggar your missing out NZ is the place to be, just look at our well balanced gun laws ;), free hunting on DOC land :p not to mention the green rain :banghead: PARADISE

All good bluey if you ever make it over here and you have some spare time defiantly flick me a line its always good taking people out to show them the real NZ, I'm defiantly not an outfitter so no deer would be guaranteed but at least it wouldn't cost you a cent

l will definitely be in touch for a un zed hunt ,matt.
just got to do last years african hunt this year and then a wee bit firther north next year , hope full that l can do next years hunt later this year .
just need to keep bagging out on the hoki .
where on the north island are you ?
no deer hunt is ever guarrenteed ,that's what makes it a hunt matt,
do you guys have samba in your area?

Hey Marius don't you mean June

Sounds like your keeping busy with your travels where is the bit further North if you don't mind me asking

yep very true about the guaranteed part but some fella's around these parts expect you to get a deer every hunt, in saying that though it's not every option hunting the Ruahines that you come home empty handed
I'm in Palmerston North which is 90mins up from Wellington so I could easily pick you up from the airport and drive you North (would be a great chance to see some of the less well known country too)

Yes we do have Sambar in our area (the Manawatu) is the main Sambar herd for all of NZ the only issue they are mostly on private land, I'm currently trying to build up some contacts but these things take time as they well sought after, the part of the herd that is most easily accessed is on Santoft forest which is extremely easy to get a permit for but does receive a bit of pressure

after we go to south Africa this year , its onto Zambia next .
hopefully we can cath enough fish to make it happen later this year , as time is of the essence ,
so if it can be done it will happen .
yeah ive always wanted to do an extended visit ,and check out the long white cloud .
my wife won a trip to the south island for a hunt ,the year before last .
she and our daughter loved the place ,and shot some great animals .
but I like the idea of the north island ,for the samba and sika .
we hunt many samba here right at our front door , but theres some thing special about your samba.
l would love to make it happen ,matt

Bugga ! sorry mate forgot to say welcome its a great place here, heaps of help and advice. Good luck with the planning.

nice mate that will be the experience of a lifetime, i'll keep my fingers crossed for ya

it is a great country and i'm sure most kiwis live their whole lives and still don't experience all of our amazing country as it feel's a lot bigger than it is, score for your wife and daughter I bet they loved it, it's hard to beat the beauty of the Alps and the Tahr and Cham are a ball to hunt

For Sambar and Sika the best places to hit both in one trip would be either Taupo or Palmerston North as the two hunting area's are quite a distance apart (by NZ standards) so it would be best to stay as central as possible to those locations but i'm sure where ever you end up you will enjoy your time here. I've seen pictures of your Aussie Sambar they are extremely impressive defiantly a bit bigger than those in NZ

Welcome to AH Matt! Nice to have you with us!

Welcome Matt. You came to the right place if you intend to hunt Africa.

A bunch of good outfitters here. Be sure to read up on the trip reports and recommendations.

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois