Hello From Dallas

IA1865

Reaction score
Media
Hello everyone. Long time lurker here but finally made an account. My name is Ian and I live in Dallas, TX. Grew up hunting white tails (MN then TX) and have started to go out west with Africa in my sights for sometime in the next 3-5 years. My current project, and reason for finally joining the forum, is a 9.3x62 built on an FN commercial M98 action in the English style. I'll be cross-posting this in the gunsmithing forum as well, but would love to rent a 9.3x62 reamer from someone here or if someone could point me to a gunsmith in the DFW area who has one.

Thank you all for the help you've given me as a long time lurker, and looking forward to interacting with you more regularly.

Best,
Ian

Welcome welcome welcome

Welcome to the forum, lots of folks here who can help with all kinds of info

Welcome to AH!

Welcome from another Dallas member. I hope you are attending the Dallas Safari Club Convention in January. Lots to see there.
You might check with the gunsmiths at Ray's Sporting Goods on Singleton for the tool you are looking for.

The guys at McClelland Gunshop can help you out with reaming your chamber. They do a good bit of work on "Africa" guns and have quite a few local DSC members as customers.. I am not sure they would rent you a reamer.. but I am certain they would do the work for you if you need someone to do it..

I typically rent from 4D Reamer Rentals: https://4drentals.com/ they arent local to DFW, but they generally ship the next day and the reamers and gauges are in your mailbox in 3-4 days tops.. they give you plenty of time to get the job done (I think a week? I typically get it done in a couple of days when finish reaming a chamber.. its really just a matter of having time to get to it.. its only a few hours task once you get started)... and they are reasonably inexpensive... The reamers I have gotten from them have always been sharp and good quality..

Im on the north end of the DFW metroplex... if you're planning on doing DSC this year, feel free to swing by on the 5th.. we're having a little party/gathering at our house for @Bos en Dal SAFARIS... more info here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/free-booze-and-food-january-5th-2023.72294/

And don't miss the AH dinner on Friday night of DSC...

Both would be a great place to meet several members of AH as well as a number of DFW locals that are into hunting/africa/custom rifles/etc...

Welcome!

The guys at McClelland Gunshop can help you out with reaming your chamber. They do a good bit of work on "Africa" guns and have quite a few local DSC members as customers.. I am not sure they would rent you a reamer.. but I am certain they would do the work for you if you need someone to do it..

I typically rent from 4D Reamer Rentals: https://4drentals.com/ they arent local to DFW, but they generally ship the next day and the reamers and gauges are in your mailbox in 3-4 days tops.. they give you plenty of time to get the job done (I think a week? I typically get it done in a couple of days when finish reaming a chamber.. its really just a matter of having time to get to it.. its only a few hours task once you get started)... and they are reasonably inexpensive... The reamers I have gotten from them have always been sharp and good quality..

Im on the north end of the DFW metroplex... if you're planning on doing DSC this year, feel free to swing by on the 5th.. we're having a little party/gathering at our house for @Bos en Dal SAFARIS... more info here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/free-booze-and-food-january-5th-2023.72294/

And don't miss the AH dinner on Friday night of DSC...

Both would be a great place to meet several members of AH as well as a number of DFW locals that are into hunting/africa/custom rifles/etc...

Welcome!
This is very helpful, thanks! I am planning on going to DSC this year, and would love to take you up on the offer for the gathering! I live right in uptown Dallas so depending on how far north you are might not be too far.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to AH Ian!

Welcome to the dark side

Welcome to AH! Best of luck with your project.

Giday Ian and welcome to the A H forums.

Welcome Ian, I like that you are going for an English style. Westley Richards have the proportions down pat.

Welcome Ian, know you’ll enjoy the site.
My best always.
Jaco

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH and the posting side! Have fun planning!

Howdy from Fort Worth! What kind of lathe do you have?
I actually don't have a lathe myself, I was hoping to have Alamo Precision Rifles over in your neck of the woods do the chambering! I've used them for my last two builds and have nothing but the highest praise for their work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you