Hello from Austin, TX! Lurker turned member after decade +

Welcome to AH! If you are ever in the El Campo area stop in and say Hi!

Mark

Welcome to the posting side. we will expect a hunt report.

Nice, I just moved to the east side last month. Right by franklins BBQ. Got back from my first safari in May.

Greetings alexaib,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Thank You for your Military service.

Perhaps much like yourself, my father was not much interested in hunting and fishing.
However, he was a good man and saw to it that I was well versed in firearms safety.
Plus, he saw to it that I was able to get out of town for hunting and fishing.
And much like yourself, I have been a sponge for information regarding guns and related equipment (especially historic ones).
I also very much enjoy fishing, especially with old timey fly tackle.

Anyway, when you have a little spare time, take a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Hello Africa Hunting! I remember discovering this website in its infancy when I was still a teenager. I've been fortunate enough that I finally have a bit of time and money to just now begin my pursuit of global, classic hunting adventures and the "refined sporting gentleman" lifestyle after decades of dreaming of it. I'm sure I will find many kindred spirits here. In fact, I just booked my first genuine trophy big-game hunt today! Spending American Thanksgiving hunting whitetail deer in Saskatchewan! Hopefully a first trip to Africa within the next few years!

I have always had an interest in firearms, the outdoors, and particularly hunting (probably from reading Jack London + PH Capstick books and watching Dances with Wolves + Legends of the Fall as a kid), but I didn't grow up around it. I bought my first rifle and taught myself to shoot when I was in grade school, and eventually ended up studying history at West Point and serving as a US Army armor officer. My passions and interests in history, firearms/weapons, and the outdoors were always pursued in books (I'm very proud of my military history and sporting library), but now I can finally start pursuing these dreams in real life! Happy to be here!
Welcome to AH

Welcome! Fellow Austinite (and former Army officer). Do we have enough Austinites here for a get together? Who’s interested? Maybe a range day at ARC?

Welcome to AH. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.

Saskatchewan over thanksgiving, whitetail. I did that once brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Deer didn’t even move until -20. Have a blast!

Oh and welcome!

Greetings alexaib,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Thank You for your Military service.

Perhaps much like yourself, my father was not much interested in hunting and fishing.
However, he was a good man and saw to it that I was well versed in firearms safety.
Plus, he saw to it that I was able to get out of town for hunting and fishing.
And much like yourself, I have been a sponge for information regarding guns and related equipment (especially historic ones).
I also very much enjoy fishing, especially with old timey fly tackle.

Anyway, when you have a little spare time, take a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Thank you for the note Velo Dog!

Welcome! Fellow Austinite (and former Army officer). Do we have enough Austinites here for a get together? Who’s interested? Maybe a range day at ARC?
Please count me in! I need to join Austin Rifle Club.

A friend in the Austin area has had great luck finding African hunting books in the Half Price Books there. Said the Austin locations are great because the classic hunting and firearms books are rarely picked over.
I find the selection is generally better in Dallas as I think there is just a greater volume of enthusiasts in the DFW area, but you're correct that demand here is lower. I picked up a copy of Asian Hunter for $45 from my local HPB recently. I think that was a decent deal.

Lol I'm already mentally preparing for the cold!
Alex, I do not know if any person, especially a southerner can prepare for that kind of cold! This I know! I said my entire life that I would rather be cold than hot and then I moved to Minnesnowda. I changed my mind!! Jesus did NOT make me to be THAT cold for THAT long! :oops:
We do look forward to your hunting report and pics! (y)

Welcome from CSTAT, though I do find myself in Austin a good bit at a few of the different shops.

@318AE I’d try to make my way over depending upon when it is. I might know someone out in the Austin area who’d likely be willing to help facilitate a get together with an area for trigger therapy. If you PM me, I can get y’all in contact with each other.

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buck52

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,